Summer Vacation?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naturally, since I booked my trip, the value of the Icelandic Krona has been improving vs. the dollar, meaning when they charge me the balance a month before the trip, assuming the trend continues, it'll cost a few more Hamtilons and Jacksons.

Fingers sarcastically crossed for an economic grease fire there before September...

Just did a week down in Pensacola and we really enjoyed the white sand beaches.

Same plans as last summer. Try to find a real job. However at this point I would settle for an unreal job, like riding along on a recycle truck and pick up material for the recycle center. Jobs like that have a line going twice around the block, so that looks remote. More likely to end up as a mall cop. At least I'll be near a good food court at lunch time. :party-smiley-048:

Anyone here done cold weather snorkeling/diving?

We're looking at added a snorkeling trip at Silfra on our trip. I'm not certified to dive and it's a lot more expensive anyway. The snorkeling price is very reasonable for a 4-hour outing, and they provide all the dry suits, equipment, snacks, etc. And it would be really cool to see the tectonic plates.

I'm just worried I'm going to freeze my butt off in 36 F water, gear or not.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

its going to be a long summer, we went over budget on the basement so we had to put off our anual dive trip to the keys. were selling all the kids video game stuff on ebay to put towards going back to the Keys in September..

up until 2 years ago when we started this anual vacation we didnt really take any "real" vacations, I didnt realize how important they were to your pshyci until we had to delay this one... September seems so long away....

so were going to the lake alot, trying to get all the kids up on the wakeboard...

Just got back from the Davis Mountains in West Texas; we didn't make it all the way to Carlsbad, though. The McDonald Observatory was fantastic; we got to look through the big telescopes, and we're going to plan another visit to look through the really BIG (107") scope. Hiking through mountains was awesome, especially considering the high temp was 88F (it's going to be 105F here today...again). We also went swimming at Balmorhea State Park where there's a natural spring fed pool with a high dive...

Very nice trip, very nice people.

since May >

Projects: Finished moving & leveling a backyard shed, taped/mud and paint (12' x 14' w/ shelving now, and a place to keep scrap building supplies). Built a chicken coop (chickens came in Feb. and our house was a barn until) just started laying eggs about 3 wks ago. Rebuilt a lawnmower. Helped my dad build a 2nd story deck (16' x 30').

Outings: Tahoe, for a friends wedding in June. Camping once. Ocean fishing last weekend, AWESOME!!! 5hrs at 10 miles out, drinking beer, telling lies and catching sea bass and lingcod. ($140 out of Westport WA, if curious) Our boat limited out, two guys cuaght 20+ lb'rs. Easily worth the money in fish alone.

To recoup energy, I've been packing as much golfing, bbq'n and poker in as possible. Fiance' is on crutches from knee surgery now and feeling neglected, so we're planning a leisurely trip to Portland and Montana in August wknds.

I'm in the middle of my staycation. Been doing house projects. Over the weekend I installed braces in the attic for new fans, cleaned up some electrical wiring, and put down some 2x4's for small flooring.

Yesterday is a day I hope to NEVER repeat. I blew in some insulation in the attic. A total of 28 bails of Green Fiber from Lowe's. We started out with 0 to 4 inches of mineral wool that was settled and probably 80 years old. Now we have up to 14 inches (in some places) of cellulose that should settle to about 12 inches. I couldn't access a couple of spots due to the loft restricting access, so I just attached a long pole to the blower hose and extended it as far as possible into the inaccessible areas. Better than nothing. Will have to rake over a few spots to get some bare spots covered, though. The work SUCKED, but, hopefully, it'll be worth it.

Anyone here done cold weather snorkeling/diving?
We're looking at added a snorkeling trip at Silfra on our trip. I'm not certified to dive and it's a lot more expensive anyway. The snorkeling price is very reasonable for a 4-hour outing, and they provide all the dry suits, equipment, snacks, etc. And it would be really cool to see the tectonic plates.

I'm just worried I'm going to freeze my butt off in 36 F water, gear or not.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
I am sure the wet suits, or maybe it is dry suits, will take care of the cold. It is going to be a shocker first but then you will not even know the temp of the water.

This thread is depressing me... I want a vacation.

My vacation starts on Friday, but involves buying a new house then moving all of our crap to said new house.

Back