Summer Vacation?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no real vacation plans for us..

I have promised my boys I would take them in shore salt water fishing this summer so were going to do a cheap "guys" trip to either Tybee Island or Destin and do some salt water fishing.

I haven't been in years but P-town always made for some good people watching. I only heard stories about the night life...the sights during day time on Main Street were enough for me.

VT: did you ever go? Seriously, you should make the trip before you leave MA. There's a national seashore on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been in years but P-town always made for some good people watching. I only heard stories about the night life...the sights during day time on Main Street were enough for me.
VT: did you ever go? Seriously, you should make the trip before you leave MA. There's a national seashore on the way.
Once about 10 years ago. As soon as we hit the Cape, we stopped at a tourist info place. They told us we had to make it all the way out to P-Town. We had no idea what to expect. Nice drive along the way, cute little seashore town, just didn't realize what type of crowd to expect there. It's a little surprising if you're not expecting it.

Had a nice lunch there, but didn't stick around for the nighttime scene.

SapperPE said:
I just spent this past weekend in SNP, we go there at least once a year. My advice is to book a cabin at Big Meadows, the have an awesome lodge and on weekends at 9PM they have folks from the area come play folk music.
Got a room for 2 nights at Big Meadows, just a short trip. Will see Skyline Drive and the front country one day, do a backcountry hike the other. I'll keep those trails in mind.

No summer vacation, building a new house. If we have time and money, garage too.

I am planning to get my itinerary formalized over the weekend. When I asked for a list of additional info and prices regarding optional activities I could add on to the trip, I was quite dismayed that there was no option for a guided hot spring tour by the Icelandic Bikini Team.

We're driving to Santa Fe, NM to stay with some family...going to stop at the McDonald Observatory and Carlsbad Caverns.

Went to Carlsbad as a kid and it was pretty cool, wondering if will still seem that way.

I'm heading to Vegas on Monday. Be there for 5 days. Already have 3 shows booked and reservations at three nice restaurants made.

We drew up a Summer 2011 Bucket List yesterday, one thing we wanted to do this summer was a day trip to Newport, RI? We're planning to tackle that this weekend.

Anyone been there? Looks like a lot of nice parks along the coast to play around at. Any suggestions?

An idea for a cheapo seafood shack would also be appreciated. I'm not paying someone $30 to through clams or mussels or lobster into boiling water when I can get lobster for $7.00/lb here. And bivalves you can basically steal at your local supermarket other than scallops.

We drew up a Summer 2011 Bucket List yesterday, one thing we wanted to do this summer was a day trip to Newport, RI? We're planning to tackle that this weekend.
Anyone been there? Looks like a lot of nice parks along the coast to play around at. Any suggestions?

An idea for a cheapo seafood shack would also be appreciated. I'm not paying someone $30 to through clams or mussels or lobster into boiling water when I can get lobster for $7.00/lb here. And bivalves you can basically steal at your local supermarket other than scallops.
I know you're not the touristy type, but you should consider touring some of the historic mansions in Newport. They are quite impressive.

We're headed down to Cape Hatteras in mid-September... It'll be our 5th anniversary (also where we honeymooned), but Mrs. OSU's family is coming along this time... They never been to any place where the waves would be over your knees, let alone your head.... It should be interesting, last time we went there was a hurricane 1000+ miles out which kinda screwed with the tides... Hopefully there isn't one this time...

We're renting an RV and camping out at AirVenture (Oshkosh air show). We're planning to be there Wednesday through Sunday this year. We'll be packing along a lot of bug spray and sun screen.

We're headed down to Cape Hatteras in mid-September... It'll be our 5th anniversary (also where we honeymooned), but Mrs. OSU's family is coming along this time... They never been to any place where the waves would be over your knees, let alone your head.... It should be interesting, last time we went there was a hurricane 1000+ miles out which kinda screwed with the tides... Hopefully there isn't one this time...
So you're plan is to drown the the in-laws.

Hope that works out for you.

Make sure the life insurance premiums are paid up.

:laugh:

Back