SOUND Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my floor plan loll
If you are looking for speakers for movies and games, you need (at least) two main speakers symmetrically placed to the left and right of the TV.  Then, for true 5.1 surround sound, you'd have a center channel under (or over) the TV, centered; two surround sound speakers symmetrically placed to the left and right sides (or slightly behind) the main listening position; and a subwoofer (can go anyway - a corner is often good).  A single speaker in any of the spots you have selected won't cut it for home theater audio.  If you just want a speaker(s) for listing to music, you could place speakers where you indicated.  You'll still want two speakers (L and R) for stereo, though you may find two speakers in one stereo unit.  Something like this.  Something like this seems pretty versatile.  The two wireless portable speakers can work together in stereo mode or each can play its own (mono) source.      

how does that help me afford to purchase it? that's 4 thousand dollars! 

and it's a surround sound system. i want something more modifiable than that, i think? or can i just carry around two of the smaller speakers and it will sound ok...
Sorry.  I didn't see the price, but it's a nice system.

These are an order of magnitude less.  I've got some of the original AM-5's that I've had for over 20 years and moved with me several times.  They still sound great.  They are small and you can hide the subwoofer behind furniture (mine is under an end table).  Great for music.  With an A/V receiver you can use them for TV too (although I just use mine for the stereo).  Like most items you can typically find prices much cheaper than listed on the manufacturer's website.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/stereo_speakers/acoustimass-5-speaker-system.html#v=am5_v_black

Thanks! I am going to look into all of these things. I'll probably not pull the trigger on bf prices since I'm still not sure exactly what direction to go. Hm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

well, poop. hooked up the stereo and turn table doesn't turn :( gonna see if there's a repair place somewhere local that can make it turn again

tumblr_nw6f5ajWth1qzsl3do4_400.gif

Is it a belt drive, direct drive or gear box drive.  Might be a simple belt replacement.

Is it a belt drive, direct drive or gear box drive.  Might be a simple belt replacement.
my dad says it's not the belt. i was dying/napping while he was investigating, so i cannot confirm. 

they used to smoke in the house. i think it might even just need a good cleaning? 

my dad says it's not the belt. i was dying/napping while he was investigating, so i cannot confirm. 

they used to smoke in the house. i think it might even just need a good cleaning? 
If your record player is old, you might consider a new one.  There seem to be some decently rated players with modern features (convert your vinyl to MP3, built-in speakers, etc.).  

The three rated here range from $36 to $79.

https://top5-reviews.com/best-record-player-reviews/

There are higher rated players but watch the price climb quickly.  

If your record player is old, you might consider a new one.  There seem to be some decently rated players with modern features (convert your vinyl to MP3, built-in speakers, etc.).  

The three rated here range from $36 to $79.

https://top5-reviews.com/best-record-player-reviews/

There are higher rated players but watch the price climb quickly.  
yeah, i've been eyeing the top one, but it has a bluetooth option that doubles the price. I'm thinking I can use alexa or similar to make up for that, though?? for future connectivity to my currently undecided sound system :D  

yeah, i've been eyeing the top one, but it has a bluetooth option that doubles the price. I'm thinking I can use alexa or similar to make up for that, though?? for future connectivity to my currently undecided sound system :D  
Precisely. No need for native Bluetooth if you plan to deploy a Wi-Fi/BT connected system. Which in the long run will be much more intelligent/functional (i.e. Alexa, Google, etc.) than just straight BT.

Last Xmas, I got one at Target that plays vinyl, CDs, tapes, and has an AM/FM tuner. She loves it and can play all her old 45's again. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Precisely. No need for native Bluetooth if you plan to deploy a Wi-Fi/BT connected system. Which in the long run will be much more intelligent/functional (i.e. Alexa, Google, etc.) than just straight BT.
Last Xmas, I got one at Target that plays vinyl, CDs, tapes, and has an AM/FM tuner. She loves it and can play all her old 45's again. :thumbs:
I have tapes and am/fm just the turntable is broked. Also

Last christmas
I gave you my heart
But the very next day
You threw it away
This year
To save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special

Am I the only one here that still plays CDs?  I play them, I buy them, I even still burn my own CDR compilations.  Is that weird? 

As for records, I don't have any anymore.  I think Quiet Riot's Mental Health and Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry, received as gifts at my 3rd grade birthday party, were my last two acquired records.  Not sure what happened to those beauties.

As for tapes, I have kept about a drawer's worth.  They reside in the garage where my only tape player is (my 25 year old Technics rack system).  

As for MP3's, still haven't totally embraced it yet.  I have a few dozen albums created from CD on my PC and a half dozen albums on my phone's SD card but I rarely play them.  I haven't purchased a single digital audio file yet - only made them from my own CDs.  Is that weird?  

Mini-Disc anyone?  ;)                    

Am I the only one here that still plays CDs?  I play them, I buy them, I even still burn my own CDR compilations.  Is that weird? 
As for records, I don't have any anymore.  I think Quiet Riot's Mental Health and Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry, received as gifts at my 3rd grade birthday party, were my last two acquired records.  Not sure what happened to those beauties.
As for tapes, I have kept about a drawer's worth.  They reside in the garage where my only tape player is (my 25 year old Technics rack system).  
As for MP3's, still haven't totally embraced it yet.  I have a few dozen albums created from CD on my PC and a half dozen albums on my phone's SD card but I rarely play them.  I haven't purchased a single digital audio file yet - only made them from my own CDs.  Is that weird?  
Mini-Disc anyone?  [emoji6]                    
Are those the tiny cassettes? Or the baby cds? My friend went apeshit over those little cassettes. Lol. I just don't have any cds except a few I keep in my car when I don't have satellite reception.

Are those the tiny cassettes? Or the baby cds? My friend went apeshit over those little cassettes. Lol. I just don't have any cds except a few I keep in my car when I don't have satellite reception.

Oh, yes, I do listen to the radio all the time - AM/FM - just nothing that has a subscription fee.  ;)  

Tiny cassettes as in the kind that went in answering machines?  I never saw any music versions of those.  Anyone remember the little Transformer cassette(s) that fit inside SoundWave's chest?  Oh boy was that rad.  

And I do remember the little CDs.  I think the NIN Downward Spiral album came with a full size CD and a bonus mini CD.  

Soundwave%2B84%2BCassettes%2BA.JPG

Oh, yes, I do listen to the radio all the time - AM/FM - just nothing that has a subscription fee.  ;)  

Tiny cassettes as in the kind that went in answering machines?  I never saw any music versions of those.  Anyone remember the little Transformer cassette(s) that fit inside SoundWave's chest?  Oh boy was that rad.  

And I do remember the little CDs.  I think the NIN Downward Spiral album came with a full size CD and a bonus mini CD.  

I get sirius for like 5 bucks a month so i'm ok with it. and i don't lose a station when i drive past its reach. 

also, i think the mini discs are what i was referring to, as well. I think it just seemed like they were much smaller.  my friend converted EVERYTHING to them. lol. even his gigantic truck system, and built in storage and stuff. lol

I still have CDs. I've been meaning to rip them and go fully digital but 500-plus seems like too much of a chore. I'm way behind the times, but when I listen to music in the house now I just search for what I want to hear on youtube, and eventually YT figures out my tastes and starts playing good stuff without any further input from me. So I don't know if I will ever get around to ripping my CDs. 

I still have CDs. I've been meaning to rip them and go fully digital but 500-plus seems like too much of a chore. I'm way behind the times, but when I listen to music in the house now I just search for what I want to hear on youtube, and eventually YT figures out my tastes and starts playing good stuff without any further input from me. So I don't know if I will ever get around to ripping my CDs. 
Same. And if you don't feel like waiting for YT to select the tunes that you like, you can archive your favorites using YouTube-to-MP3. :thumbs:

Spotify on my phone

I had a ton of CD's back in the US but I ended up ripping them all to mp3. Now I just do the youtube to mp3 thing.

Camaro has a USB drive connected to the stereo, so I have a thumb drive with 4gb of music that I rotate through. Good for about 14hrs of music. If I take the time to sort the music into folders, the car can treat those folders like playlists or just load everything. Car also has an Aux jack so I can run spotify on my phone through the car too.

Ok, I think the plan is to see what the record shop says about the turntable, and get an echo or two at BF or CM prices.

(( if you don't use the "honey" extension on chrome, you should!! you can add items to your "droplist" and it will send you an email when an item you're watching lowers in price!))

then once I figure out how to get things set up and sorted, i can supplement with other things. I'm excited!!!

Back