SOUND Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wanting to get some sort of all encompassing sound system going in my house. something that can communicate wirelessly, I can have speakers in different rooms if wanted, can pick up and move them, etc. I want good sound, ease of connectivity, and good value. If I am going to invest in this, it also has to be something I can purchase in pieces (aka won't be invalidated in the next month) to soften the financial burden of my shopping. 

I also have an old receiver / cassette deck / record player that all hooks together, but I am assuming I will need to get some sort of converter for that whole mess over in the corner. 

thanks in advance ♥ 

brand preferences, personal experiences, and other info accepted as well!!!
tj_PE,

What is your whole objective?  Audio for music only?  Audio for movies/surround sound too?  What are your source components?  Tape player, record player, what else?  What is your budget?

tj_PE,
What is your whole objective?  Audio for music only?  Audio for movies/surround sound too?  What are your source components?  Tape player, record player, what else?  What is your budget?
Music and surround sound, possibly for the living room and the den/deck/back of house with maybe a portable something I can take upstairs if Im feeling it? I don't need top of the line but I would like something semi legit that will last and sound good and I can get the house bumping if I want. If I can purchase it in pieces I could do like a couple hundred every couple months or something, or save up for. I just don't have too much disposable income currently. More like doing the research before making the decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Check out Sonos.  Very impressive technology.  I think it will do everything you want from giving you wireless/portable speakers to home theater 5.1 to playing your older analogue equipment.  https://www.sonos.com/en-us/home
Perhaps I'm missing something. While Sonos seems good for music (albeit way over-priced), I don't see how they look to be a good surround system that can support Dolby DTS / ATMOS in either a 5.1 or 7.1/7.2 configuration. I do see that they offer Amazon Alexa built in. However, as I noted above, I think the $$ would be better spent toward a true surround system and then adding an Amazon Echo Dot for $49. If one were to buy the Sonos 1, 3, and 5 type speakers, that will run $1,000. That kind of $$ will go a long way towards a full 5.1 or 7.1 complete system. The Sonos sound bar and sub are $700 each, so there's another $1,400. It just seems like there are better options for way less $$ plus better features/functionality unless I'm missing something. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I'm missing something. While Sonos seems good for music (and way over-priced), I don't see how they look to be a good surround system that can support Dolby DTS / ATMOS in either a 5.1 or 7.1/7.2 configuration. I do see that they offer Amazon Alexa built in. However, as I noted above, I think the $$ would be better spent toward a true surround system and then adding an Amazon Echo Dot for $49. If one were to buy the Sonos 1, 3, and 5 type speakers, that will run $1,000. That kind of $$ will go a long way towards a full 5.1 or 7.1 complete system. The Sonos sound bar and sub are $700 each, so there's another $1,400. It just seems like there are better options for way less $$ plus better features/functionality unless I'm missing something. :dunno:
You very well might be right, I have read good things and know about Sonos and what it can do but, honestly, I was not familiar with their prices.  You're right, they are steep. 

Ok, how about HEOS then?  :)   https://usa.denon.com/us/heos 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say start with one good pair of speakers. There are considerably cheaper versions of the one I showed you yesterday, with fewer drivers etc. But I'd say it's well worth spending a little more on main, front speakers. Then you can add as time goes by. You really don't need very big or expensive speakers for surrounds, or extra rooms. As for the equipment needed to add sound around other parts of the house, I know a lot less. I do know there are some cool self-powered bluetooth speakers around these days. I purchased a small bluetooth amp for a couple of "extra" speakers I had laying around from a previous iteration of my home theater, and now I have a nice little system in my office area that I can run directly from my computer via USB, or from my phone by bluetooth.  

But absolutely feel free to go listen to what's avaialble at your nearest store. 

I'd say start with one good pair of speakers. There are considerably cheaper versions of the one I showed you yesterday, with fewer drivers etc. But I'd say it's well worth spending a little more on main, front speakers. Then you can add as time goes by. You really don't need very big or expensive speakers for surrounds, or extra rooms. As for the equipment needed to add sound around other parts of the house, I know a lot less. I do know there are some cool self-powered bluetooth speakers around these days. I purchased a small bluetooth amp for a couple of "extra" speakers I had laying around from a previous iteration of my home theater, and now I have a nice little system in my office area that I can run directly from my computer via USB, or from my phone by bluetooth.  

But absolutely feel free to go listen to what's avaialble at your nearest store. 
Agreed. And that's where my suggestion to add Amazon Alexa to this mix. Because now you can (via voice control) play whatever you want from your personal library in any room. I used to have a couple different BT speakers around the house. Trouble is, I could never link them to one common library very easily. With Amazon (or Google variant), this is now easily accomplished. The beauty is, the speakers don't have to have any added functionality or wireless connectivity. It's pretty profound.

So you just went from Cadillac to Ferrari. LOL

That's not going to help Julie's pocketbook any. 
Oh, oops.  Again, I read about HEOS in my Sound and Vision mags and I know my Denon AVR-X6300H has HEOS built in and I was reading about its capabilities in the owner's manual (though haven't used the HEOS option yet) but I didn't know about the pricing.  
default_wacko.png

^^ If the HEOS can kill spiders, then it may be considered.
I am the bug killer in my family, right?  And, while I get a little squeamish sometimes, I'm usually pretty good with it, depending on the bug.  But - spiders? - I have to admit, I kinda turn into a scared little school girl.  So, my wife bought me one of these bug vacuum things.  

61roG-UjCUL._SL1000_.jpg

Yeah, like, does the vacuum go in reverse so you can shotgun it to infinity away?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back