SOUND Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruthless People!!!! Great movie. Great scene too!!!

As his pregnant wife walks in to see what's going on....

fox, what do you think of those recessed lighting wireless speakers?  The concept seems pretty slick.  

https://www.amazon.com/recessed-light-speaker/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arecessed light speaker
Wow! That's actually a pretty novel idea! In my finished basement is where I have my main HT surround sound system. So while I have the recessed lighting that could support these, I don't think it would be very practical with my current setup as the recessed speakers would be eclipsed by the surround system. Though I can see this as being a separate system altogether just for listening to music at a reasonable volume. LOL

Wow! That's actually a pretty novel idea! In my finished basement is where I have my main HT surround sound system. So while I have the recessed lighting that could support these, I don't think it would be very practical with my current setup as the recessed speakers would be eclipsed by the surround system. Though I can see this as being a separate system altogether just for listening to music at a reasonable volume. LOL

Yeah, I think of those light bulb speakers more for whole-house music, not so much for dedicated home theater use.  Cool idea though.  

Basement?  :jealous:  My HT is in a 10'x12' bedroom.  :/   But I make it work the best I can.  :D   I just finished getting my 4 Dolby Atmos add-on modules installed for full 7.2.4.  I also sold my 10 year old motorized wavy 92" screen and got a fixed frame 100" screen.  I'll check out the thread you linked me to when I get the chance, thanks.  

^^ for starting my system... so I can listen to my vinyl and have some more power from the TV. 

You shouldn't expect a ton of bass from bookshelf speakers. Those would work really well as a starting point for a full system and would work really well for the vast majority of "daily" usage (TV, music). Next would be to add the component speakers (center & rear), then add a powered subwoofer to complete the set so you can get into the full surround sound setup for movies. 

Those Klipsh speakers seem to be well respected. I'd splurge and go for the next size up to get a little more bass:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-bookshelf-speakers?model=rp-160m
Or go for one of their tower versions (at almsot double the cost of your first choice, but honestly probably worth it):
http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-floorstanding-speakers?model=rp-250f
Do I need to have 2 towers or can I have just one? I have a good spot to set one, but not 2.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

surround-sound-speaker-placement.gif
Towers are typically placed on either side of the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
surround-sound-speaker-placement.gif
Towers are typically placed on either side of the TV.

Right, so that's why I am hesitant to get a tower. I don't have a symmetrical room layout to do a true surround sound with Ginormous speakers. Lol

You will need two speakers regardless of how large they are. Unless you don't want stereo and only mono, but who would want that????

The bookshelf speakers will probably be fine for you, but like I said I'd try to get the larger ones, if I were you (make sure they will fit!). You can always add a subwoofer later on to make up for not being towers, but that's just a little more complicated and can be hard to get to sound right. That's why I advocate for the tower-style speakers, but if you can't fit them, you cant fit them.

tj, I am still confused as to what your ultimate goal is.  Is it a 5.1/7.1 surround sound system in one room, whole-house audio, a wireless music speaker(s) movable from room to room, or?
Yes? Lol. I want something that will sound awesome for my stereo (and I can use for my TV - so I guess not technically surround sound necessarily) that I can add on a speaker or two to take around wherever so I don't have to do max volume to get good sound/hear it.

Here's my floor plan loll

IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
how does that help me afford to purchase it? that's 4 thousand dollars! 

and it's a surround sound system. i want something more modifiable than that, i think? or can i just carry around two of the smaller speakers and it will sound ok...

Back