Shaving pounds

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AWESOME WEEKEND!!! Not only did I get to ride along with Carl and talk with him some - very cool guy...
But, he won on Saturday before our Sunday ride. Topped off an almost spotless weekend. Hope everyone else has had good ones, but this one for me will be tough to top.
Great experience TD!!!!!! I watched the race Saturday night and it was cool seing Edwards win though he is not my favorite. But loosk like he is a nice and caring guy. That is good.

By yhe way, I thought he injured himslef doing the backflip after the race. Glad he is OK.

I lost a few pounds today walking the Pete Dye course. I went over to watch the last day of the Nationwide tour that was in town this weekend.

If you watched the Golf Channel today, I was the guy wearing the rainbow wig. (not really)

Well, as of Saturday I was down 22.5 lbs. I have noticed the decline has slowed a small bit but it is still coming off.

I made the decision to train for a 100 mile (century) race that takes place in April. I don't plan to be competitive in it - just finishing is my goal now.

I swapped weight lifting programs so that I am not working every muscle every day. I am feeling a lot less sore now.

^ I'm jealous you can train over the winter there. Depending on what the weather does, you can be out of commission here anywhere from late November to mid-April with all the snow and ice that gets piled up along the shoulders, assuming it's not just too damn cold to be out there.

This means I get to suffer through another winter of spin class. At least its at a college and some people take it for phys ed credit, so even if I ain't moving, some of the scenery is still pretty good!

Your height: 5'8

Actual weight: 158

Goal: 148

k... i'm a little late in the game... but i'm gonna start trying... wish me luck. :)

^^^ Good luck! :)

For me: slacking time is over.

My wife and I are going to be going to a weight loss program/clinic offered through our insurance program and implemented by the local hospital. I have finally convinced her that even though it will be 'slow' it should result in a steadfast reduction. And it will be medically sound - not like any of these quack, fad things.

And it isn't a race as to just how fast - just measurable progress towards a goal :)

JR

not like any of these quack, fad things.
Yeah I don't believe in any of that crap either. All those fad things involve doing these extreme, unhealthy measures that you can't keep up indefinitely. And as soon as you stop the weight comes back.

If you are really inactive and overweight, just making gradual changes will have a quick imapct. Cutting out sweets, eating less processed foods, drinking more water, going for a walk after work, etc.

I was reading somewhere recently that if the average American gave up soda they would lose 10 pounds in the first year.

I was reading somewhere recently that if the average American gave up soda they would lose 10 pounds in the first year.
I definately agree with that. I gave up soft drinks a few years ago for Lent, and have never looked back (except for the occasional rum and coke during the summer). I lost at least 10 pounds just because of that.

However, I will say this, if you do want to follow a "plan" diet, I think that Weight Watchers has a really good system. Its based on eating healthy and controlling portion sizes, and you lose weight at a healthy rate. My parents lost like 150 lbs total on that system, and they have kept it off.

^ I wasn't trying to say I think all commercial plan diets are bad. Just the goofy, unsustainable fad diets. Sorry if it came across like that.

Weight Watchers and Nutrisystem definitely seem like good options.

Back to the soda issue, a lot of people don't realize how many calories are in the liquids they drink. A glass of juice isn't bad for you, but it does tend to have 100-120 calories in an 8 ounce serving. Milk (and this makes sense when you think about the original intent of it) is also caloric.

They have these 64 oz refillable plastic buckets they sell at the convenience store by me, which you can refill for 99 cents. It's like 600 calories right there.

^^^ Likewise, I wasn't trying to come across that way either.

I don't drink anything carbonated because of a fudgepump-like afflication. :true: The best thing I ever did was to give up colas and other calorie-ridden drinks of the like. Now I just need to work on that
3.gif
habit. :wacko:

JR

One soda a day translates to 15 pounds you have to work off each year. I drank nothing but water and the occasional cup of tea for about a year and half while in school but I cant do it anymore. I just love drinking sweet stuff too much.

Although I havent dropped any weight Im getting into better shape. Ive been playing basketball a lot and have been fencing a couple nights a week. One thing Ive noticed on the basketball court is Im hard as hell to push around. Im short enough (6') and heavy enough (225 lbs) that once I get my center of gravity nice and low not many people can get me out of the paint. Of course Im playing with a bunch of other no skill having white guys so thats not saying much. As long as I dont lose a step on the court Im perfectly content with being the round mound of rebound down low.

When I played basketball, I was a Marathon Man. Who needs to be able to shoot a good jumper, if you could outrun everyone and get layups??? My nickname in college was 'spaz'.

How obese is your state?

It's scary to think we're 47, we've got some real big folks, I'd be scared to see the top 10.

STATE-BY-STATE ADULT OBESITY RANKINGS
Note: 1 = Highest rate of adult obesity, 51 = lowest. Rankings are based on combining three years of data (2003-2005) from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Behavioral Risk Surveillance System to "stabilize" data for comparison purposes. States with statistically significant increases are noted with an asterisk (*). Additional information about methodologies and confidence intervals are available in the report.

1: Mississippi*; 2: Alabama; 3: West Virginia; 4: Louisiana*; 5: Kentucky*; 6: Tennessee; 7: Arkansas*; 8 (tie): Indiana*, South Carolina*; 10: Texas; 11: Michigan; 12: Georgia*; 13: Oklahoma*; 14: Missouri*; 15 (tie): Ohio*, Alaska; 17: North Carolina*; 18: North Dakota; 19: Pennsylvania*; 20: Nebraska*; 21: Iowa; 22: South Dakota*; 23: Illinois*; 24: Maryland*; 25: Virginia; 26: Kansas; 27: Minnesota; 28: Wisconsin*; 29: Delaware*; 30 California*; 31 (tie): Idaho*, Washington*; 33: Oregon*; 34: Maine; 35: Florida*; 36 (tie): Wyoming*, New Hampshire*, New York; 39: D.C.; 40 (tie): New Jersey*, New Mexico*; 42: Nevada; 43 (tie): Arizona, Utah*; 45: Montana; 46: Connecticut*; 47 (tie): Rhode Island*, Vermont; 49: Massachusetts*; 50: Hawaii; 51: Colorado.

How obese is your state?It's scary to think we're 47, we've got some real big folks, I'd be scared to see the top 10.

Dont people from Vermont lose a lot of fat when they hibernate for the winter? No wonder your only 47th. Down here in KY we sit and eat Hot Browns (a good old Louisville favorite) and KFC 24/7/365 with the obesity statistics to prove it!

In all seriousness its just sad.

^ I'd love to hibernate for the winter, doze off around Halloween and wake up in time for Easter.

I'm not too surprised it's a fairly fit state here. I see half the town out biking on nice days. And might I add, today was a beauuuuuutful evening for a ride. Low 70s, sunny, dry, a little breeze. What a great time.

If the Northern Mariana Islands was on that list, I think we'd probably edge out Mississippi for number 1. They say we have the highest diabetes rate in the nation, or that we're tied with a handfull of Indian Reservations. We just spent a huge amount of money to expand our hospital -all just to add an additional wing for hemodialysis. The old hemodialysis facility wasn't big enough to handle the load.

the jokes about Colorado are true, you see $5000 bikes strapped to the roof of a $500 car.

we have started the habit of collecting 14ers (hiking 14,000' peaks) and as we are slowly hiking to the the top, we see trail runners flying past. uber fitness nuts, I guess it is better than the other end of the spectrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! Missouri breaks the top 20. Wait, is that a good thing... OHHHHHHHHHHH. Nevermind.

:)

A friend of mine used to talk about all the old guys. They have normal looking legs, arms, face, etc. BUT serious guts. Look like they are pregnant. Oddity. Beer Belly?

Back