Shaving pounds

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Height: 5'9"

Weight: 170 lbs

I'm happy with my weight but I've been terrible about bike training lately. I got a 50 miler planned in a month and right now it would kick my ass.

I bought a new scale - top 'o the line... (well, at least it cost a lot) and it reads 5 lbs less than my old scale...) so I'm down to 190 YEAH!!!!!!
my new scale says I weigh 5 lbs more than my old one ... :eek:ldman:

Last edited by a moderator:
Height: 6'-3"Weight: 235

Goal Weight: 210 by the end of the summer

I have made some changes since the exam - salads for lunch 4-5 times per week; fruit and protein for breakfast; one plate for dinner (only seconds I will let myself take are veggies or salad)... I have cut down the red meat intake to twice a week; I am making a point of doing an hour of yardwork (or housework) per night depending on the weather. Since the PE exam, I have actually dropped 5 pounds without having been too physically active (starting working out, then had to nurse two bad knees for a few weeks before starting the yardwork).

-Ray
Currently down to 232, however my clothes are getting loose... I think I am putting on more muscle than I thought with some of my latest tasks (pulling brick edging, sledging out slabs, pulling out fencing, etc.).

-Ray

Well I stumbled across this website today

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/games.cfm

which calculates your Body Mass Index (BMI) and tells you which category you are in (underweight, 'government approved', overweight or obese).

It also lists a bunch of celebrities and athletes that would be considered to be overweight or obese.

I am well aware that your BMI can be an inaccurate assessment of your true fitness level for athletic individuals but from what I have seen in this thread there are very few of us that would be in the 'government approved' weight range even at our goal weights. What gives? Are all of us super athletes? Or is the healthy range for BMI just totally out of whack?

If this guy is considered overweight I'm screwed.

moment_133.jpg

thank you roadwreck!!

This has me thinking, maybe we should all post before and after photos. I'll start,

here is a candid shot of me at my desk today.

obese_hacker.jpg

Roadwreck,

Those charts are completely screwed up. Our insurance premiums are based on our "risk assesment" which is supposed to be how health we are. One of the factors is BMI. Based on the gov. BMI charts Im 6'-2" 195lbs. According to my report Im overweight. I am around 10% body fat and exercise 3 times a week yet Im supposed to pay higher premiums because my BMI is too high "according to published gov. charts" Total BS if you ask me!

^ Yeah, the BMI scale doesn't work when applied to athletic people, because muscle is denser than fat. I weigh more than I look like but exercise regularly - running, biking, light lifting - so I have some lean muscle than screws up the calculation.

Definitely some very BAD visuals posted!!! And, as for me, I am not in. In March, my youngest turned 16, got her driver's license, and I found some freedom. In April, I finished studying and got my life back. Late April, I started working out HARD. Cycling classs 3 times a week and 2 or 3 easier workouts a week. I have not lost a single pound, so I have deduced that it is not possible for me to lose weight by any logical means. Since I'm an engineer and logical means do not work, I concede. I'll keep working out because I feel better, but I give up on losing weight. :p

Donate blood, it's WAY easier than 400 calories worth of excersize, right?

Gumment says I've got to lose 12 pounds. The problem is willpower...

I got a little too vigorous at the gym last night and now my hamstring feels like it's burning. I gotta remember I"m not as young as I used to be and do a better job of stretching.

We'll see how it holds up on a bike later.

I got a little too vigorous at the gym last night and now my hamstring feels like it's burning. I gotta remember I"m not as young as I used to be and do a better job of stretching.

Vigorous at the gym huh. Yeah right. Newlyweds, pfft.

Just be glad it's your hamstring that's burning and not something else.......

Latest posts

Back