Shaving pounds

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been kinda up and down but I at least seem to be heading on a downward trend as of late. :)

I'm down from 315 to 225 (90 lbs) in the last year and a half, or so. I have worked out for the last 504 straight days.
Awesome!!! :multiplespotting: :multiplespotting:

DAMN !!!!!!!!!! ^^^^ AWESOME

I am down from 252 to 238, so only 14, and I'm working on getting to 220.
Good luck!! :)

JR

Now that I've passed the PE and I can devote that time to working out again, here are my stats:

My height: 6'0"

Actual weight: 220

Goal: 200

I swam from before I could walk all the way through college (swam for LSU). There's no way I can get down to my fighting weight (183), but I believe 200 would be a great start. I feel sloppy and soft, something to which I am not accustomed. Simply doing weights over a year ago didn't do anything weight-wise. So, I've bitten the bullet and ordered some swimsuits and goggles. I'm hoping I can shed some of my insulation before our 2nd anniversary.

:sharkattack: :p10940623:

Well, I'm fairly new around here but figured I'd throw myself into this thread as well. First though, congrats to all the big losers out there!! It is great to see/hear. Personally, I hit my heaviest back around the holidays, when the scales tipped 200 for the first time in my life. My stats then were:

Height: 5'9" +/-

Weight: 200 lbf

Goal: 165

I've been working out regularly with my wife (she's been working out regularly for several years now), and I've tried to make slightly better decisions and watch portion sizes a little bit more closely. I haven't really done anything drastic, but I've just been more aware of what I'm stuffing in my face, and I've cut back on the beer after work and switched to mostly water. I'll still drink when we go out to dinner, play poker, watch football, etc, but I've cut back on having a beer or two after work or after dinner by myself. Today, I am down to about 178-179, and I've been holding steady there for a while.

I really didn't realize how different I look (despite my wife's encouragement) until a few days ago when I looked in the bathroom mirror sideways. I've decided that I'm not as concerned about the number on the scale (although it would be nice to get it down to the 170-range...), but at this point I'm just more looking at the mirror and wanting to get more toned. If that involves losing more "numbers", great, but if not I'm fine with that too... I also checked my BMI and it is down a decent bit from when I started too (36 or so back then, down close to 30 now...)

I stepped on the scale this morning and was admittedly a little shocked to see what it read.

My first thought was to dig up this thread. I wanted to know how long it had been since I first posted. Almost two years.

Yikes. Where did the time go?
Update:

160 this morning. I competed in my first triathlon just over a week ago. It was a short one (0.25 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run) but I felt pretty good about my performance. I'm still not sold on the whole triathlon thing, I like doing all the individual components, but sticking them altogether isn't ideal. They stick the swim at the beginning (so you aren't so tired from running or biking before the swim that you end up drowning). This means you get soaking wet from the beginning then have to hope you dry off as you go. I sweat so much anyway that I am never going to dry out, so I'm soaked to the bone from start to finish of the race. On a short one like this it isn't a big deal, but I'm being coerced by friends to sign up for longer ones. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

If I do anymore I'll have to improve my transition times. I was pretty competitive with people in my age group (finished 16th out of 48, and I was at the upper end of the age bracket). I could have been in the top 10 with better transitions, all my split times were better then the people that finished immediately in front of me, but my transition times were double what many of theirs were. But for a first timer I thought I did pretty well. And I was really happy with my run. I was impressed that after a quarter mile swim and a 10 mile bike ride I was still running (without a lot of effort) at 7 minute mile pace. :woot:

Latest posts

Back