Shaving pounds

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, it is decided, I am heading off to lift some weights, gotta get back on the wagon.
yeah - this most recent heat wave knocked over my give a shit for working out. I think I put back on 5-10 lbs. in the last week just because I stopped my gym routine.

Going back this weekend!!!

Honestly, this heat didn't do anything to me but make sure the beer was even colder....(I think I'll go get one now...)

Have a great weekend!!!....Sapper, stay cool and safe. We bitch about it, but you live in it. My first beer will be for you...

ktulu

If there are any body builders here, I would love to be able to pick your brains. I need some insight as to some more things to work my triceps and my calves.
Some people need to do higher weight less reps for tri's, bi's and calves, and others are exactly opposite and have to do high reps to gain.

I have to do low reps, heavier weight for my abs, tri's, and calves, and for bi's I have to go lighter and more reps.

Basically, you need to do whichever one helps get the burn and the blood into the muscle. A good trick is to try the exercises with your eyes shut and be thinking of how that muscle is moving and nothing else. Has helped many find the right form, pace, poundage

I have discovered something incredible. I said earleir in this thread that I've been working out hard since late April and haven't lost a single pound, so I concluded that I was unable to lose weight. Well, last week I had oral surgery and I haven't been able to eat regular foods. I'm eating soft mushy foods--oatmeal, pudidng, ice cream, mashed potatoes, casseroles, etc. I've lost a couple of pounds and I think maybe this is a way to lose weight. Not having more oral surgery. It's definitely something I want to avoid. But, eating less. Hmmm. Eating less. I like to eat, but maybe I'll give this a try. I need to lose 20 pounds. Okay, maybe I'm in. I'll be 50 later this year and one of my goals was to get my license before 50, so maybe I can lose 20 pounds by the end of the year.

^^^ I think small, managable goals are very much realistic.

I think you are definitely on-spot with the less-food thought, but perhaps not mushy puree consistency. That actually makes me gag. :true: I have been told that not liking mash taters and gravy is downright un-american. :( But I can't that the consistency gags me.

For me the hardest thing is traveling or even my commute. Also, my wife works a completely different schedule than me so trying to coordinate meals is generally reduced to grab-n-go and it is easier to pick up something that is Yum-O from a quickie spot or even a not-so-quickie spot than spend the time doing something for yourself. I don't know why the psychology works that way but at least for me it does.

I think I need to be looking at smaller, interim goals and then the larger picture. With that thought in mind, I have decided my first goal will be to fit in my one-size smaller fancy slacks so I can wear those at my thesis defense next semester :)

JR

DV, you could not be more correct about the whole "think about the muscle you are using" idea. I read something about that last week and all of a sudden my form on my weighted crunches seems so much better as I actually feel the burn in my abs now and not in my lower back. Very good advise!

I am reworking my workout plan such that I don't hit the same muscle group everyday. When I get it done, I may post it so that you pros can critique it.

As for the weight loss, following a lazy Saturday I am back up to 182.

So there I was, on the Hash House Harriers run this Saturday, following a new guy. He is a body builder and DEA agent, and was complaining all the way up this really steep jungle climb about how his fellow agents are all fat asses. Bragging about running 6-minute miles. Blah-blah. Meanwhile, I was waiting for him to crap out. I've seen countless body builders come out on the Hash and presume that they're in better shape than all of us runner-types, only to crap out halfway through.

Sure enough, he pulls away from me on the steepest part, and then about 5 minutes later I run into him again. He's sitting at this base of this rock chimney that we have to climb, with the aid of a knotted rope, and he's all red in the face and saying "I think I need to puke!" Ha ha!

But seriously, the only reason I am telling this story is because I haven't lost any weight at all since we started this, and in fact, I have lost a little of my conditioning. Ugh. But it always feels good to kick some gym-rat's ass in the real world.

I have discovered something incredible. I said earleir in this thread that I've been working out hard since late April and haven't lost a single pound, so I concluded that I was unable to lose weight. Well, last week I had oral surgery and I haven't been able to eat regular foods. I'm eating soft mushy foods--oatmeal, pudidng, ice cream, mashed potatoes, casseroles, etc. I've lost a couple of pounds and I think maybe this is a way to lose weight. Not having more oral surgery. It's definitely something I want to avoid. But, eating less. Hmmm. Eating less. I like to eat, but maybe I'll give this a try. I need to lose 20 pounds. Okay, maybe I'm in. I'll be 50 later this year and one of my goals was to get my license before 50, so maybe I can lose 20 pounds by the end of the year.
A friend of mine used to say that he discovered a revolutionary new weight loss program, which he called "Eat Less, Run More". Apparentely it really works! ;)

My wife has a way of looking at things that was obviously coined by the same think tank of nutritionists that came up with Fraz's friend's plan.

Your stomach is like a bank. Money Calories in, money calories out. If you deposit more money calories then you spend, your account stomach is going to grow.

It sounds silly but it's true.

6'-3", 220(from 250 I was a year ago). How can somebody avoid gaining weight when is recovering from an accident? I guess a broken leg and a broken ankle can stop you from working out but I am sure there has to be something you can do to avoid looking like the guys from some pictures in this thread. Too much time to :tv: and to post here I will have now but need to :p10940623:

I don't do much weight-lifting. I mostly do cycling class and some light weights on machines. I'm pretty good about making it to the gym 3 times a week. Cycling for 45 minutes to an hour, then weights for upper body. Occasionally, I do a little extra time on treadmill or elliptical machine. For the record, I'm 5'3" 160 lbs.

Well I was a good little boy today and biked to work. I brought a duffel bag of clothes with me yesterday then showered and changed when I got in. The good news was the ride was shorter than expected, the bad news was it was hillier than I remembered.

I'm lucky that on the way home later the biggest hill is right at the beginning.

VT, you have a place to change and shower at work? Thats the one thing which keeps me from riding my bike to work. We dont have locker room. I would have to pull of the old shower in the sink deal. Its about 5 miles from home to the office which I could probably cover as fast if not faster on a bike due to traffic.

One of the bathrooms here has a shower. It's real handy when you're all grimy after field work. Since it's a single person bathroom it works fine to shower and change.

They are talking about getting a bike rack to put near the entrance. Which would rock. Our building has 2 foors with reallllly high ceilings so I had to haul my bike up a long flight of stairs and back to my office to keep it safe. The sound of my bike cleats on the marble stairs echoing through a very open entry area was the loudest sound in the world.

I've been dying to do this for a while, don't know why I didn't. I should do this once a week until the weather/lack of light kick in. It's 17 miles one way, very rolling with some nasty hills. It follows a river so you have a net elevation gain going north and vice versa, so the evening should be easier.

I figure I pack it in my car and ride after work some nights anyway why not just turn my ride into something functional as well as fun.

^ Definitely. I drive a small SUV with decent fuel economy, and don't usually have excessive amounts of driving for work or personal stuff, and it still seems I'm always pumping half a tank into it.

After all the road bike talk... I got mine tuned up and hit the road last night. Only took it for 5 miles or so, but it feels so good compared to MTN biking with regard to ability to get up to speed and go fast.

PS - I drop a few bucks and get to participate in a fundraiser for a guy who lost the use of his legs a few months ago. His friend from H.S. was Carl Edwards (Nascar). I get to ride along side of Carl (bikes) on Sunday.

Ought to be a good weekend.

AWESOME WEEKEND!!! Not only did I get to ride along with Carl and talk with him some - very cool guy...

But, he won on Saturday before our Sunday ride. Topped off an almost spotless weekend. Hope everyone else has had good ones, but this one for me will be tough to top.

Back