recipe rut....looking for non-slow cooker ideas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Favorite "Buddha bowl" recipe:

Ingredients (for two servings):

• Sweet potato (medium large), peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • Quinoa (I prefer tri-color, slightly less the 1/2 cup dry)
  • Dinosaur kale (1 head)
  • Green onions, thickly sliced on the slant
  • Avocado (1)
  • Microgreens
  • Edamame (1/2 cup, shelled)
  • Fresh Garlic, minced
  • Basil
  • Onion powder
  • Crushed red pepper flakes
  • Juice of (2) lemons
  • Tahini
  • Salt
Cook quinoa per package directions. When done, fluff and leave covered to keep warm.

While the quinoa is cooking, toss the sweet potato matchsticks in olive oil, basil, onion powder, and crushed red pepper flakes. Roast at 375 degrees for at least 25 minutes. Once they're in the oven, destem the kale and tear into pieces, mince the garlic, and saute the two in the pan until the kale wilts and lessens its fibrous texture.

While the kale and sweet potato are cooking, you can slice the green onion if you didn't do that at the start. Either way, make the sauce next. Combine the juice of the lemon and about (4) large spoonfuls of tahini in a bowl, put in maybe a tablespoon or two of water, and season with salt. Whisk together to incorporate the ingredients.

Slice or cube the avocado however you choose (I usually cut it into quarters, then thinly slice on the diagonal.

To plate, get out some deep bowls and put the quinoa and kale on the bottom (I do half and half). Layer the top with the sweet potatoe, edamame, green onions, microgreens, avocado, and cover in sauce.

Time: ~45 minutes if you're efficient!

It's so good and super tasty! Very filling also, thanks to the quinoa, avocado, and edamame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm why? It's pretty clean eating. Vegan too, but you'd never know. Full of flavor!

Do you have adverse reactions to any of the ingredients?

But disaster of what magnitude? Are we talking like Taco Bell type magnitude here? :dunno:

Huh, interesting. I definitely don't have any GI issues with either of those. I've maybe heard that about quinoa in some people. Easy! Substitute with long grain brown rice and plan that into your time.

As for kale? That's a new one for me!

Favorite "Buddha bowl" recipe:

Ingredients (for two servings):

• Sweet potato (medium large), peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • Quinoa (I prefer tri-color, slightly less the 1/2 cup dry)
  • Dinosaur kale (1 head)
  • Green onions, thickly sliced on the slant
  • Avocado (1)
  • Microgreens
  • Edamame (1/2 cup, shelled)
  • Fresh Garlic, minced
  • Basil
  • Onion powder
  • Crushed red pepper flakes
  • Juice of (2) lemons
  • Tahini
  • Salt
Cook quinoa per package directions. When done, fluff and leave covered to keep warm.

While the quinoa is cooking, toss the sweet potato matchsticks in olive oil, basil, onion powder, and crushed red pepper flakes. Roast at 375 degrees for at least 25 minutes. Once they're in the oven, destem the kale and tear into pieces, mince the garlic, and saute the two in the pan until the kale wilts and lessens its fibrous texture.

While the kale and sweet potato are cooking, you can slice the green onion if you didn't do that at the start. Either way, make the sauce next. Combine the juice of the lemon and about (4) large spoonfuls of tahini in a bowl, put in maybe a tablespoon or two of water, and season with salt. Whisk together to incorporate the ingredients.

Slice or cube the avocado however you choose (I usually cut it into quarters, then thinly slice on the diagonal.

To plate, get out some deep bowls and put the quinoa and kale on the bottom (I do half and half). Layer the top with the sweet potatoe, edamame, green onions, microgreens, avocado, and cover in sauce.

Time: ~45 minutes if you're efficient!

It's so good and super tasty! Very filling also, thanks to the quinoa, avocado, and edamame.
you lost me at sweet potato

We've been making these buffalo chicken sliders about every other week- good fill in meal

Throw some chicken breasts in a crock pot with some buffalo sauce and a TBS of brown sugar. - go to work

Get a bag of pre made cole slaw and mix with some blue cheese dressing -

Toast you up some slider buns

Throw the chicken and slaw on the slider buns and eat---

Add a pickle if feeling crazy.....

So just tested out the new Instant Pot. Beef stew was the meal of choice. All raw ingredients added and it only cooked for about 35 min. and came out looking like something in a cooking magazine. The beef was sooooo tender too. I'm impressed!

Here's the recipe I used: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/best-instant-pot-recipes_us_5a5e6d79e4b096ecfca85dcf

https://pinchofyum.com/instant-pot-beef-stew
you do realize that huffinton post is fake news?

Umm why? It's pretty clean eating. Vegan too, but you'd never know. Full of flavor!
Is meat flavor one of those flavors? 

Huh, interesting. I definitely don't have any GI issues with either of those. I've maybe heard that about quinoa in some people. Easy! Substitute with long grain brown rice and plan that into your time.

As for kale? That's a new one for me!
Kale and I rarely see eye to eye on what the rest of my day should look like, especially cooked kale. 

But I'm dragging down your recipe because of personal reasons, so I apologize. 

Kale and I rarely see eye to eye on what the rest of my day should look like, especially cooked kale. 

But I'm dragging down your recipe because of personal reasons, so I apologize. 
Just remember.  Secret ingredient for kale is coconut oil, so its easier to scrape into the garbage.

Wife loves it when I make these chicken taquitos and it's really easy.  Technically it could still include a slow cooker because I use that to make the shredded chicken.  Back in the day when I was doing the protein thing, you could even mix everything up, throw it in a baking pan, throw some extra shredded cheese on top, call it a casserole and be Atkins friendly.

• 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup green salsa
  • 1 Tablespoon lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
  • 2 Tablespoons sliced green onions
  • 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
  • 1 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
  • About 20 (6 inch) flour tortillas
  • Salt
  • Cooking spray
  1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
  2. Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it's soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and Pepperjack cheese and combine well.
  3. Place 2-3 Tablespoons of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges and roll it up as tight as you can. Place seam side down on the baking sheet.
  4. Lay all of the filled taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle some salt on top.
  5. Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.

There's a place here called Chuey's that has a creamy jalapeno dip that's really good and not too spicy.  Also easy and the wife usually makes some to go along with the taquitos.

• ¾ cup Sour Cream
  • ¾ cup Mayonnaise
  • 1 packet (1 oz) Dry Ranch Dip
  • ¼ teaspoon Garlic Salt
  • ½ cup Cilantro
  • ¾ cup Pickled Jalapenos, plus juice from jar (may add up to 1 cup depending on heat preference)
  • ½ cup Buttermilk
  • 2 Tomatillos (optional)
  1. In medium mixing bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, ranch dip packet, and garlic salt.
  2. In blender or food processor, puree cilantro and pickled jalapenos with a little juice. (If using tomatillos, blend with jalapenos and cilantro).
  3. Add cilantro jalapeno puree to mayo mixture.
  4. Stir in buttermilk until you reach desired consistency.
  5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

There's a place here called Chuey's that has a creamy jalapeno dip that's really good and not too spicy.  Also easy and the wife usually makes some to go along with the taquitos.

• ¾ cup Sour Cream
  • ¾ cup Mayonnaise
  • 1 packet (1 oz) Dry Ranch Dip
  • ¼ teaspoon Garlic Salt
  • ½ cup Cilantro
  • ¾ cup Pickled Jalapenos, plus juice from jar (may add up to 1 cup depending on heat preference)
  • ½ cup Buttermilk
  • 2 Tomatillos (optional)
  1. In medium mixing bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, ranch dip packet, and garlic salt.
  2. In blender or food processor, puree cilantro and pickled jalapenos with a little juice. (If using tomatillos, blend with jalapenos and cilantro).
  3. Add cilantro jalapeno puree to mayo mixture.
  4. Stir in buttermilk until you reach desired consistency.
  5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
this sounds yummy but I can't eat 4 of the ingredients due to the lactose content.  

this sounds yummy but I can't eat 4 of the ingredients due to the lactose content.  
Easy. Substitutes can be made for those items (I have a friend who has made this kind of dip before who is L.I.). :thumbs:

Back