recipe rut....looking for non-slow cooker ideas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so this is a crock pot meal, but we started putting a couple of chicken breasts in a crock pot with some diced tomatoes and then make shredded fajitas out of them, saves a ton of time, just have to steam the peppers and onions and viola! - pretty tasty as well, we also started using corn tortillas for fajitas and they are pretty F'n awesome (but not as awesome as butter and steak) ;)

I had posted up on FB the other night, but worthy of mentioning here:  Flank steak, marinated in honey, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil (about a TBSP), ginger, hot peppers, and balsamic vinegar (just a splash).  About 5 minutes per side on a really hot grill (550-600F).  It was probably the best flank steak I've ever had, and was cooked magazine-perfect.  Junior couldn't stop eating it, and Mrs. Supe didn't even bother to stop and get a fork and knife.

Been wanting to try...What cut of meat, and did you finish them in the oven?
I wish I could tell you the cut.  Mini MS1 talked to the butcher and he brought out some nice cuts after told how they were going to be cooked.  Mini MS1 doesn't retain important information like meat type quite yet.  And no, we didn't finish in the oven.  6 minutes (?) per side on medium-high heat.  I think that's how we cooked it.

I had this revelation at lunch the other day, so many food places are just so average, overpriced plate of ****, but yet some dude in a taco truck that parks outside my work some random day of the week can make some of the best BBQ Taco's Ive ever had in a paper bag for $7 bucks?

Been wanting to try...What cut of meat, and did you finish them in the oven?

I wish I could tell you the cut.  Mini MS1 talked to the butcher and he brought out some nice cuts after told how they were going to be cooked.  Mini MS1 doesn't retain important information like meat type quite yet.  And no, we didn't finish in the oven.  6 minutes (?) per side on medium-high heat.  I think that's how we cooked it.
Update!  We were at the store and the butcher saw us and tracked us down.  He asked the boys how the steaks were and almost remembered their names.  I asked him the cut and he remembered... sirloin!  om nom nom!

Back