One more week to go

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omg how do y’all have so much time lol
I think practicing speed helped me a lot. One thing I noticed is that even if "you know how" if you dont have enough practice, you will tend to be slower. Its like training the brain to fast pace.

I really treated this mock as a real test so I tried my best as fast as I can. 

But I will still not take the real test lightly. So today until Wednesday I will still be practicing all including now this EngineerPro guide, as I've learned something new from this material. 

Do your mock ups, you see in here I got another 2 problems which I am unsure and got it correctly with the time spared. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think practicing speed helped me a lot. One thing I noticed is that even if "you know how" if you dont have enough practice, you will tend to be slower. Its like training the brain to fast pace.
I really treated this mock as a real test so I tried my best as fast as I can. 
But I will still not take the real test lightly. So today until Wednesday I will still be practicing all including now this EngineerPro guide, as I've learned something new from this material. 
Do your mock ups, you see in here I got another 2 problems which I am unsure and got it correctly with the time spared. 

I totally agree with your comments. It is not enough to recognize the problem. It is doing, solving it in 4-6 minutes average. I usually benchmark/gauge myself at each hour to see where I am at. If I am not within my expected range I try to remain calm and continue. Remaing calm composed, it is key for me.

I had similar experiences last week when I took the ncees mock. I got very tired after the 2nd hour, so I had to force myself to continue. I was a bit disappointed with the time, but again I learned something about myself, how to pace myself.

I totally agree with your comments. It is not enough to recognize the problem. It is doing, solving it in 4-6 minutes average. I usually benchmark/gauge myself at each hour to see where I am at. If I am not within my expected range I try to remain calm and continue. Remaing calm composed, it is key for me.

I had similar experiences last week when I took the ncees mock. I got very tired after the 2nd hour, so I had to force myself to continue. I was a bit disappointed with the time, but again I learned something about myself, how to pace myself.
Exactly, get comfortable with the required pacing. 

In my own view, these practice test that we have right now, we should be able to finish them off at least half of the time required. Keep working until you beat the clock down. 

In the actual exam, most question will be foreign and will require additional time. 

This is just proof, my time in EngineerPro I spent 5-6hours first time I hit it, but now i know the problems, the 2nd time I work on this it will reduce to maybe even lessthan 3hours. Difficulty wise I must agree that it is at same level somehow with ncees, but thing is it is same level for all problems. In the real exam, I am expecting some problems to be more difficult than the difficilty level shown on ncees practice problem, something like SlayPE or 6ms type problems where it will balance out the time.

The SlayPE and 6ms I was able to do it lessthan 4 hours at this point. 

It is ok timing yourself like, doing couple questions and stopping the time on and off. Thats what I do too, say answering 10-15 questions straight then I will puff a cig.

But I think, that sitting down to work on 40 problems straight at least once before exam is advisable. 

Exactly, get comfortable with the required pacing. 
In my own view, these practice test that we have right now, we should be able to finish them off at least half of the time required. Keep working until you beat the clock down. 
In the actual exam, most question will be foreign and will require additional time. 
This is just proof, my time in EngineerPro I spent 5-6hours first time I hit it, but now i know the problems, the 2nd time I work on this it will reduce to maybe even lessthan 3hours. Difficulty wise I must agree that it is at same level somehow with ncees, but thing is it is same level for all problems. In the real exam, I am expecting some problems to be more difficult than the difficilty level shown on ncees practice problem, something like SlayPE or 6ms type problems where it will balance out the time.

The SlayPE and 6ms I was able to do it lessthan 4 hours at this point. 
It is ok timing yourself like, doing couple questions and stopping the time on and off. Thats what I do too, say answering 10-15 questions straight then I will puff a cig.
But I think, that sitting down to work on 40 problems straight at least once before exam is advisable. 

Also, I am planning on making 5 passes through the exam. The first two are designed to get the freebies out of the way. The 3rd will be focused on the low level calc problems, 4th pass is designed for medium level to intense calculations. The 5th pass is for unfamiliar problems. Which hopefully won't be too many.

I also perfected my skipping problem technique. It took a while, but I got to work well. Coming back to to problems where the units, values, arithmetic is not working out...or fat finger errors.

I have also noticed in the afternoon, how focused and sharp mind becomes. Even though the mind is exhausted, it finds a very effective and acute way to solve problems, to deliver, especially difficult problems after 5-6 hrs of crunching. Kinda interesting!

Also, I am planning on making 5 passes through the exam. The first two are designed to get the freebies out of the way. The 3rd will be focused on the low level calc problems, 4th pass is designed for medium level to intense calculations. The 5th pass is for unfamiliar problems. Which hopefully won't be too many.

I also perfected my skipping problem technique. It took a while, but I got to work well. Coming back to to problems where the units, values, arithmetic is not working out...or fat finger errors.

I have also noticed in the afternoon, how focused and sharp mind becomes. Even though the mind is exhausted, it finds a very effective and acute way to solve problems, to deliver, especially difficult problems after 5-6 hrs of crunching. Kinda interesting!
I did 2 pass on SlayPE from yesterday afternoon and finsihed the second pass this morning. Did 40 problem straight both am and pm. For some reason I spend less hours than previous times. I finished am 1:13min and pm 1:20min. This will be my last run on that material, now will be working on 6ms. This is where its like wrote memorization where I start to solve problem before even reading it lol. But ofcourse I keep in mind the concept behind each problem. 

Ill do 2 pass on 6ms today then 2 pass on ncees2001&2011 tomorrow and 2 pass on ncees2016 on Wednesday. 

Thursday is mostly rest day, prayer day, then I will pick 3 random questions at each practice problem. 

Friday is the day we slay this Goliath, just like David did! 

I did 2 pass on SlayPE from yesterday afternoon and finsihed the second pass this morning. Did 40 problem straight both am and pm. For some reason I spend less hours than previous times. I finished am 1:13min and pm 1:20min. This will be my last run on that material, now will be working on 6ms. This is where its like wrote memorization where I start to solve problem before even reading it lol. But ofcourse I keep in mind the concept behind each problem. 
Ill do 2 pass on 6ms today then 2 pass on ncees2001&2011 tomorrow and 2 pass on ncees2016 on Wednesday. 
Thursday is mostly rest day, prayer day, then I will pick 3 random questions at each practice problem. 
Friday is the day we slay this Goliath, just like David did! 

This is my Goliath too. I owe it to my family, for all the sacrifices they made to accommodate my study. Also, trying to stay humble and not puff up my ego. It is always a challenge.

Love this convo, it pushes me to keep going until the last minute.

On another note, you've got some beastly routine going... Pretty amazing stuff!

Couple last questions/clarifications...

We don't bring ANY writing utensils into the exam?

I bought copies of all of the ASHRAE manuals although I never really used them. Is anyone actually bringing those into the exam? I can't see having time to look something up in those.  I am bringing my Fluids, Thermo, and Heat Transfer textbooks although I don't anticipate needing or using them. If a problem requires any of those references then it'll be left until the end anyway to be answered if I have the time.

Couple last questions/clarifications...

We don't bring ANY writing utensils into the exam?

I bought copies of all of the ASHRAE manuals although I never really used them. Is anyone actually bringing those into the exam? I can't see having time to look something up in those.  I am bringing my Fluids, Thermo, and Heat Transfer textbooks although I don't anticipate needing or using them. If a problem requires any of those references then it'll be left until the end anyway to be answered if I have the time.
Ive used the ASHRAE mini once only to be honest in one of the merm companion, not gonna hurt to bring it. 

But I doubt we will need it. 

I am feeling prepared... i think. I have gone through three practice exams (MDM) two times each. I am currently going through topics that I'm weakest in. I ordered the Tim Kennedy review manual. That should be here today and I am going to tear into that tomorrow. I'm running out of fresh material to look at.

I am most worried about the theory type and lookup problems. Those types of problems tend to suck up a lot of time for me while I flip through my references.
dont fret

this is only the most important exam in your career.... so dont get nervous

At this point I feel like trying to study hard will have negative returns. For all of the DTC folks, I'm just going through our PRN's binder by binder, re-familiarizing myself with what is in each section. I think that will be the best use of my time between now and Friday. Ready to get this over with. I've been having dreams about solving problems for weeks now.

Aight boys time to do some more passes on ncees practice test.

I agree with above, study time is finished. Now just doing some work out.

At this point I feel like trying to study hard will have negative returns. For all of the DTC folks, I'm just going through our PRN's binder by binder, re-familiarizing myself with what is in each section. I think that will be the best use of my time between now and Friday. Ready to get this over with. I've been having dreams about solving problems for weeks now.
Agree. Study heavy at this point is damaging. How was your DTC experience? Just curious...

I thought DTC was great. It completely takes the guesswork out of what to study. Then again, I haven't taken the test yet so who knows. I've heard good things though! I think the biggest take away is the organized references you walk away with. In the event you need to reference a specific type of problem, you have a Personalized Reference Notebook for each major topic broken down into subcategories. You are also given an "Exam Day Companion" with organized subject areas and relevant equations. I also went through a few practice exams but definitely not to the point where I'm doing them by memory in an hour...whatever works though.

I thought DTC was great. It completely takes the guesswork out of what to study. Then again, I haven't taken the test yet so who knows. I've heard good things though! I think the biggest take away is the organized references you walk away with. In the event you need to reference a specific type of problem, you have a Personalized Reference Notebook for each major topic broken down into subcategories. You are also given an "Exam Day Companion" with organized subject areas and relevant equations. I also went through a few practice exams but definitely not to the point where I'm doing them by memory in an hour...whatever works though.
Awesome. I am glad is working out for you.

Back