NFL FOOTBALL 2012

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure some of you have already seen this but damn is it funny, no matter what team you cheer for.

/>http://imgur.com/a/9H0Hv

Did anyone else watch the 30 on 30 special on ESPN last night about Broke sports players? Talked about the how/why these players who make millions upon millions of dollars end up broke within a few years of retirement.

The reasons aren't surprising, but I still have a hard time feeling sorry for them.
Did not catch that since NFL Sun. Ticket doesn't include ESPN! Sorry, still ranting about that. What were the main reasons of them going broke? Ridiculously expensive purchases, poor investments, too much property, etc.?
It's basically the same reasons Lottery Winners go broke. The list includes:

• Living paycheck to paycheck. They spend what they earn, mostly due to the "I won't get injured/cut/traded" mentality of them thinking they are invincible. They always assume there will be 1 more year. Because it's spent when it's earned, many rookie players forget they don't get paid during the off season. (why do you think so many players were fighting to end the lockout?)
  • Divorce. They are sugar daddies. The women they love only love their money and never sign a pre-nup.
  • Baby daddies. Apparently, big $'s equals an inability to keep it in their pants (or use a condom). This also ties into them being sugar daddies and women looking to "get rich" with their va-jay-jays.
  • Poor financial advisors. Most of their "advisors" belong to their entourage or their family and have as much financial training as a Walmart cashier.
  • Mooches. Friends, and to a much worse extent, their families all act entitled to their share of the money because they all feel responsible for helping the player get where they are. The player is ultimately guilted into giving away all of their money to "pay back" all of their supporters. Many players find themselves making 3 or more mortgage payments because they bought their house, one for their mom, one for their friend, etc.
  • Horrible spending habits. Pro athletes are competitive in ALL things in their lives, which includes living "better than the Joneses (other players)". This ties into the paycheck to paycheck note above. They see a teammate drive to practice in a Porsche, they want a Ferrari.
  • Drugs. As pro athletes, they become addicted to the adrenaline rush from playing. They want to maintain that after retiring. Also, sports leaves most of the players physically "spent" way beyond their years (moreso in the NFL and NHL). Some players have 20+ surgeries in their career and need medical care. This care is included while they play, but it's not after they retire.
  • Taxes. Because their salaries are pure income (as opposed to capitol gains), they are automatically vaulted into the top tax brackets of 35%+
  • Fees. They have agents, unions, "advisors", etc, who all need to be paid.
  • Career length. The average career length is under 3.5 years. Even the guys who last 10 years (an exceptional career by NFL standards), retire at age 33. Same age as me right now. By the time they realize they need to plan for the future, they're no longer earning a paycheck. What age do most college educated people start getting really serious about retirement, late 20's or so? Athletes are retired by that age...
  • Not every player makes $100M. Most players are not "stars" and will never see the big salaries. They make a couple hundred thousand over their career, then without any financial training, and even worse, no real-world job skills, they have nothing to fall back on.
Good example right here, Dexman.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/nyc/super-page/al-jeffersons-24000-bed-might-be-my-favorite-thing-of-all-time/

^^^ Damn, blocked at work and doesn't work on my phone. I'll have to check it out tonight.

Yahoo – On Tuesday, we learned just how large that bed needs to be. New Utah Jazz guard Mo Williams tweeted this photo of teammate Al Jefferson’s bed (via TBJ), a huge piece of furniture that would seem to fit a normal-sized family of five, plus several pets. Spencer Ryan Hall of Jazz blog Salt City Hoops found out that the bed is 10-by-12 feet, or large enough to fit two normal-sized grizzly bears and a Mini Cooper. Jefferson is listed at 6-10 and 289 pounds, but a quick look at him suggests he’s a bit shorter

Please dear God let this be a new thing. I would love for the new craze of black NBA guys. “Yo son I got the biggest bed in the game!” Different shapes and sizes and colors. Like new age rims for your car. They’re gonna need to bring back MTV Cribs if all these black dudes are gonna be getting 900 square foot beds. The first thing you do when you get your signing bonus is by a Jesus piece and a bed that can fit 9 to 10 strippers at any given moment.

I’m not even kidding when I say there are probably people who pay $1,000 a month for a 10 x 12 studio in Manhattan. There are hipsters in the village who would rent Al Jefferson’s bed as their entire living space if they could. This apartment right here is 96 square feet:

I liked the results. Mostly because 25% of my competition in my eliminator pool picked Pit...

It has been a weird football season so far...I think the replacement refs sort of made the season start off kilter a little

I was actually able to watch the whole thing streaming online for once.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another awesome game to be at. Better than the MNF Green Bay game. Go Hawks!

I just hope Manning decides to show up tonight. The only person I enjoy watching lose more than Brady is Rivers...

Back