NFL FOOTBALL 2012

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ref'ing in the NFL has sucked, sucks today, and will always suck! These d-bag scabs take it to a humorous level perhaps, but really don't kid yourself, the refs they replaced sucked too.

I watched the end of the game and I couldnt really tell from the replay, but if a Defensive Player and Offensive Player both catch a ball in the end zone what is the actual "rule"? I'll take the news guys opinion that GB got robbed but I honestly dont know what the call would be if it looks like they both had their hands on the ball but the guy on the bottom of the pile comes up with the ball?? Is it different for a fumble versus a pass attempt? I know there are some weird rules about fumbling the ball out of the back of the end zone if the Defensive Player has the ball versus the Offensive player??

It was not simultaneous. Tate grabbed the ball thru Jennings arms, using only one arm by the way. It was hilarious. One ref signaled incomplete and other one signaled TD...or at least were two different signals made simultaneously. The review was clear.

Simultaneous catch goes to the offense.
Rule 8 - Section 3 - Article 1 - Item 5: Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

In this case, it is clear that the defensive player caught the ball and the offensive player tried to take it from him.

Plus, because it was ruled a touchdown, the only thing the "review" would be able to overturn would be whether or not the ball was caught (not WHO caught it).

This has caused quite a stir in things. Hope the NFL is happy now. Top 3 stories in national news this morning, Romney speaking at Pres Clinton Global Initiative, Pres Obama speaking at the UN, and the last play of the Packers/Seahawks game.

I was just explaining the rule to Road Guy...not what that mess was.

Don't forget Sunday's Ravens/Patriots game amongst everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to need VT's help in expressing my disdain for what took place in last night's "game".

Fuck me on a stick with sauce.
I got no dog in this fight, but GB got jobbed. Hell, I'm not quite sure if the Baltimore FG was in or not on Sunday night.

If I pushed someone as hard as Tate did, the cops would show up at my place.

I was figuring we'd be trading barbs in early February, and maybe we still will. But right now, you bring some cheese and sausage, and I'll score a couple of lobsters, and we'll at least be well fed while we ride out this 100 mph shitstorm.

We were at the game last night. Pack go screwed but I'll take the W. It's rough being a sports fan in Washington so the rest of the NFL can f off.

Yeah 'Dickie' Goodell is mishandling this...but then what the friggin slightly-less-sucky regular refs are asking for is ridiculous too - Pay for games already played?! Pensions (fer f'ing out loud!)?

One of the funniest comments I've read today:

Easy and awesome Halloween idea: Replacement Ref. You just have to look like a regular ref, and then you get to act like a jackass all night! Tried to sneak into a bar and got caught? I didn't know the rules! I'm a replacement ref! Spill a drink all over the sexy bee at the Halloween party? Whoops! I'm a replacement ref! Threw up all over the taxi? I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THIS KIND OF PRESSURE. I'M A REPLACEMENT REF.

—Aaron, Chicago

If the regular refs did anything like this they would be accused of game fixing. How come that part isn't being brought up?

Back