NCEES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,
now that all of the criticism of NCEES has died down, I'll take my turn at complaining about something.

but first, I'd like to invite everyone on this thread that was going through that anxiety of waiting (It's brutal, I've been there) and was ready to burn NCEES to the ground, I invite you to come back in this thread in one year and explain your take on it at that point. I think it will be interesting.

OK, on to my NCEES rant......

[RANT]

Here at EB.com, every test taking season, we post threads about the color of the pencil. It's a fun, light-hearted way of spurring conversation about the test between current test takers and former test takers. But, within each of those threads, there is always something that comes to light that bothers me considerably. SOME TEST LOCATIONS DO NOT ALLOW TEST TAKERS TO KEEP THEIR PENCILS. THIS IS WRONG. I think it is terrible that the majority of us on here get to keep our pencils as a souvenir, as a conversation piece to be displayed in our office. One member here at EB.com had his professionally framed with the state PE license. That is awesome.

The fact that some PE candidates are not given that opportunity is a shame.

NCEES, if you're reading this; please make an effort to 'encourage' all test locations to let those test takers have the opportunity to 'take a little something' from the experience. If it's too much to ask, I'd be willing to bet that most test takers wouldn't mind an additional 50 cents added to the exam fee to ensure the souvenir pencil can be obtained.

[/RANT]

Agreed.

I do not recall them telling us in Delaware that they were to remain on the table or not. When they collected the exam materials the pencils were left on the table. End of exam instruction had been read and we were told we could leave the room. I figured either way it was fair game at that point to take it home. I'd say 50% left them on the table, but I thought at some point it would be a cool little piece of history.

For now it is still next to my calculator on the stack of books in the corner. I got my passing notice, but for some reason I still am waiting to move things until I ge my number from the board before I consider it officially over!

You know, a friend of mine who took the PE in a different state told me that in that state they were allowed to use their own pencils --they didn't have to use the NCEES pencil that was provided.

You know, a friend of mine who took the PE in a different state told me that in that state they were allowed to use their own pencils --they didn't have to use the NCEES pencil that was provided.
At the place I took my P.E they ask for leave the NCEES pencil at the desk when we finish the Exam . :eek:ld-025:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I took the PE they specifically told us we had to turn in the pencils. They threatened to have our results invalidated if we didn't. :(

I still have the pencil from my FE, although it's looking a little worse for wear. A coworker walked off with it one day and snapped the clip.

When I took the PE they specifically told us we had to turn in the pencils. They threatened to have our results invalidated if we didn't. :(

I still have the pencil from my FE, although it's looking a little worse for wear. A coworker walked off with it one day and snapped the clip.
id be upset if that were to ever happen...i like my ncees pencils and use them often.

OK,
now that all of the criticism of NCEES has died down, I'll take my turn at complaining about something.

but first, I'd like to invite everyone on this thread that was going through that anxiety of waiting (It's brutal, I've been there) and was ready to burn NCEES to the ground, I invite you to come back in this thread in one year and explain your take on it at that point. I think it will be interesting.

OK, on to my NCEES rant......

[RANT]

Here at EB.com, every test taking season, we post threads about the color of the pencil. It's a fun, light-hearted way of spurring conversation about the test between current test takers and former test takers. But, within each of those threads, there is always something that comes to light that bothers me considerably. SOME TEST LOCATIONS DO NOT ALLOW TEST TAKERS TO KEEP THEIR PENCILS. THIS IS WRONG. I think it is terrible that the majority of us on here get to keep our pencils as a souvenir, as a conversation piece to be displayed in our office. One member here at EB.com had his professionally framed with the state PE license. That is awesome.

The fact that some PE candidates are not given that opportunity is a shame.

NCEES, if you're reading this; please make an effort to 'encourage' all test locations to let those test takers have the opportunity to 'take a little something' from the experience. If it's too much to ask, I'd be willing to bet that most test takers wouldn't mind an additional 50 cents added to the exam fee to ensure the souvenir pencil can be obtained.

[/RANT]
SO true! I kept my pencil. They outright told us we could at my FE 4 years ago. I used that pencil all the time until it broke about a year ago. I asked for special permission to keep the pencil after the PE and no one had a problem with it. What are they going to do with the pencils anyway? Give them away to third world countries (this would be a great solution, so no complaints here)? I don't expect them to clean them with an antibacterial wipe and hand them out next year, so the only thing I can think of is that they're throwing them away. I would think my $265 would cover the cost of a simple mechanical pencil.

They gave us TWO NCEES pencils when I took the exam, 4 years ago, and allowed us to keep each. Two different colors, too - one red, one black (for me). I have used them often at work, and I can't believe I haven't lost them yet. I've gotten a little more careful about not taking them on inspections and other places where they could get lost, but I still have one (the red one) in my briefcase. The black one is in the pen mug on my desk, where it pretty much never gets touched.

I will take it one step further.

I think that NCEES should also provide the calculators. When you send in your application, they should make you choose which calculator you want to use, then have an option for a standard, and an option for a reverse polish notator. Even if the exam fee has to go up $15 to cover the cost.

This does two things:

1. Ensures NCEES that a recording device isn't being brought into the exam by way of a calculator

2. Ensures the examinees will have a calculator, and there will be spares at the test location (relieves anxiety for testees)

If those studying for the exam know that they are going to choose the TI-30XIIS for example, then they will practice with it, become familiar with it, and I would assume that NCEES would ensure that it would be capable of performing any of the calculations that would be encountered on the exam.

A win-win for everyone in my opinion.

THEN YOU GET TO KEEP THE LUCKY PENCIL AND LUCKY CALCULATOR FOR DESK DECOR

I don't know if I like the calculator idea. Sure it would provide the NCEES with the added security of knowing an examinee hasn't altered their calculator in a way to record exam questions, but it would add cost to the registration and the examinee is going to want to purchase the calculator anyway to use when studying for the exam. Effectively the examinee ends up paying for the exact same calculator twice.

Would you also limit the approved calculator list to one? If you still allow for several approved calculators you run into the dilemma of what happens if everyone at an exam location turns up and wants to use the same calculator? What if you don't have enough for everyone to use? Would you require examinees to use a calculator that they may not be familiar with? That is just asking for trouble IMO.

As far as the calculators went, I always used Casio scientific calculators, so I got the one one the list. I bought a second one as a backup, it was $15 or so.

I'd be fine with NCEES providing calculators for security purposes, but asking them to provide calculators for convenience sake is kinda like asking them to provide references and a snack too.

Would you also limit the approved calculator list to one? Answered in my post above If you still allow for several approved calculators you run into the dilemma of what happens if everyone at an exam location turns up and wants to use the same calculator? Answered in my post above What if you don't have enough for everyone to use? Answered in my post above Would you require examinees to use a calculator that they may not be familiar with? Answered in my post above That is just asking for trouble IMO.
Just sayin'

Did ya read my post?

:D

Would you also limit the approved calculator list to one? Answered in my post above If you still allow for several approved calculators you run into the dilemma of what happens if everyone at an exam location turns up and wants to use the same calculator? Answered in my post above What if you don't have enough for everyone to use? Answered in my post above Would you require examinees to use a calculator that they may not be familiar with? Answered in my post above That is just asking for trouble IMO.
Just sayin'

Did ya read my post?
I guess not well enough. I know from my experience when I registered for the exam I had not made a definitive decision on a calculator. In fact, I know I when I started studying I was using one calculator, but by the time I got to the exam date I had changed to using another one. I don't think I'd want to be locked into my calculator decision 4 months before I took the exam.

And you'd still end up buying the same calculator twice.

Actually,

I have 3 TI-30XIIS calculators.

At less than $15 a piece, and considering I was investing ALOT more money than that into the exam prep. It made it easier to study. I kept two at home (one to be a spare at the exam) and once, when I temporarily lost my spare, I bought a 3rd. After finding my other one, I took it to the office to start using on a daily basis instead of my TI-86, so that I'd become more familiar.

So, I guess the idea of paying for two $15 calculators is not a big deal to me. But I kinda see your point.

Latest posts

Back