Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other news, my wife and I watched John Wick last night (the first one) because of all the hype surrounding the sequel and the strong reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  I suppose it was a good action flick, but i was kind of surprised at the simplicity of the story, to the point of almost being plotless.  I guess it didn't live up to the hype, for me.
I've heard great things about the movie (not the plot), but what's kept me from suggesting it to the wife is that I know what starts Wick's rampage at the beginning of the film. How graphic is that part of the movie? The Mrs. wouldn't be able to watch it if it was very graphic, but she could possibly make it through something happening off screen.

I went to see Moonlight this weekend. I highly, highly recommend it. If you haven't heard of it, it's about an African American boy growing up in a tough part of Miami, trying to find his place in life. It is intense, but absolutely incredible. It's nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture, and I personally think it is leagues more deserving than the other two Best Picture nominees I've seen. Granted, the other two that I have seen are La La Land and Arrival, but they are tough to compare to this story and how well it was executed.

Has anyone seen Manchester By The Sea? I have heard good things, but am not that inclined to see it... Also trying to see Hidden Figures.

I will defin take a pass on any more lego movies. jesus krist I still have a headache from the last one!

I was bored after work and didn't feel like going home last Thursday so I went and saw that "Space between us" movie I guess I should have read the story first, basically a teenage love story with a space element added.  I was the only (dude) in the theatre and there was an entire row in front of me of HS ages girls sobbing the entire 2nd half of the movie..

Sort of a The Martian meets fault of our stars? 

I've heard great things about the movie (not the plot), but what's kept me from suggesting it to the wife is that I know what starts Wick's rampage at the beginning of the film. How graphic is that part of the movie? The Mrs. wouldn't be able to watch it if it was very graphic, but she could possibly make it through something happening off screen.
I want to say it's a pseudo-off screen thing, but don't remember.  You should be able to find the scene and check.  I do remember that when he wakes up, the dog is next to him.  

I think he has a huge pitbull for a pet in JW2.

I want to say it's a pseudo-off screen thing, but don't remember.  You should be able to find the scene and check.  I do remember that when he wakes up, the dog is next to him.  

I think he has a huge pitbull for a pet in JW2.
I watched JW on cable a few week ago.  IIRC, they show the russian creep doing the deed in  blurry background scene (through JW's hazy eyes after they had beat the hell out of him).  Pretty graphic, as is the violence in the rest of the movie.  not for the squeamish.  Seeing as JW1 ends with him taking a pitbull from a veterinary/rescue shelter it doesn't surprise me that the dog is part of JW2.

I'll watch JW2 but I knw better than to ask my wife to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you see the Russian creep do something to the dog, not real clear but definitely violent, and then JW wakes up with the dog dead, lying next to him, with a bloody trail where it dragged itself to his side.  Pretty bad, if you're a dog lover.  Worth killing 100+ people over, I am not sure.

In other news, my wife and I watched John Wick last night (the first one) because of all the hype surrounding the sequel and the strong reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  I suppose it was a good action flick, but i was kind of surprised at the simplicity of the story, to the point of almost being plotless.  I guess it didn't live up to the hype, for me.
yes-i-fully-agree-smiley-emoticon.gif
 It was entertaining to watch but definitely wasn't going to win any Oscars.

I'm a dog guy and, I didn't like the "trigger" in JW1, but it wasn't awful, i.e. it wasn't graphic or drawn out.

Arrival:

The Redbox reviews fell into two categories - "Slow/Horrible" and "Reviews by People Who Are Not Stupid".

First off:  Helicopters - check.  Explosions - Check. So it's got two free stars right there (as we all know, the awesomeness of a movie is directly correlated to the number of helicopters and explosions in it),  Cool aliens - Check, so there's three points right up front.

I found it to be a very cerebral and thought provoking movie.  Definitely had to replay the dialog, which is sometimes lost in background noise. I found myself 30 minutes later going, "Wait, don't you remember when she said (blahblah), and then later,  TOTAL (BLAHBLAH)!!"  Whoa, mind blown!  Language and math are two proofs of the divine nature of the universe in my book.

Don't want to over-hype it, but as an engineer, I enjoyed it. I give it over 5 stars, but then subtract a fractional portion of a star because Amy Adams nose is hyuuuge and they keep showing it in profile with the setting sun, and let me tell you that proboscis could defeat any global threat, so why worry?

Good movie.

Watched Hell or High Water over the weekend. I'd recommend it! The guy and I thought it was quite good!

Edit: Thought I'd edit this post to explain what this movie's about for those who don't know. It's basically about two brothers who turn to crime to save their property in Texas from being taken by the bank, and the two Texas Rangers who are charged with figuring out the crimes. Jeff Bridges plays one of the rangers, and is very good in it! The three other main characters were all unknown to me, except maybe Chris Pine (one of the brothers) who I feel like I know from somewhere. But regardless, a film that's very well done.

Second Edit: Chris Pine is the new Star Trek Commander Kirk. Knew I knew him from somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Central Intelligence - the previews/commercials pretty much hit all the funny parts of the movie.  Don't bother.

I finally saw Moana with miniMF.  Disney has really stepped up their game on these animated movies.  So good.

I saw two recent action movies on blu-ray this weekend that I thought were better than John Wick: Jack Reacher 2 and The Accountant.  Both had great action plus an actual plot and character development.  I honestly don't see what the big deal about John Wick is.  

The first photo from the set of the still-untitled Han Solo film was posted Tuesday, and things are pretty cramped in the Millennium Falcon.

a689b9e6c1dabd0c6c4db1e317809fcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

when I go back and watch "the prequals" I think it was a huge mistake to have SLJ in them, it just didn't fit.  Disney should edit him out with someone else.. 

God damn it.  I hope Woody is a stormtrooper or something else where I don't have to know it's him, or I might be done with the Disney Star Wars world.

Back