Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i basically just wanted to know if it was worth pulling a Mommy needs some alone time so she is going to the movies this afternoon sort of thing.  

It's a decent family film. too.  My 13 year old son is just now sort of becoming aware of society, and this movie raised a lot of questions for him and some good discussion afterward. 

Saw Sing with mini-Ram instead of going out with the wife to see Hidden Figures as intended.  It's tolerable mostly due to the catchy sound tracks used.

We saw Sing too, but regretted it a couple of days later when all my 2 year old was saying was, "Oh my gosh, look at her butt".

I rented "Middle School" (something something something else)with my son the other night on Prime.  What a crappy kid's movie.  My son liked it, but I wished it had been an actual Bluray disc so I could have taken out of the player and snapped it in half, to prevent anyone else from being inflicted with that pain again.  Now I'm not saying the Diary of A Wimpy Kid movies were all that wonderful, but at least the characters and shenanigans were believable, and it approximated the hell of middle school in a manner that I found recognizable.  "Middle School (somethign somethign something)" was neither.  Just fake, "attitude-y" cool-nerd crap like you see on any Nickolodeon show now (which are all terrible and have been ever since I had kids, anyway - Spongebob excepted)

Thanks for the tip!  We're finishing up a series now, so I'll check it out.  

snickette is a huge fan of the new Amazon spin off of Top Gear called the Grand Tour.  She usually spends Sunday afternoons cuddled up with mr snick watching that show

TGT is a bit over scripted, but has gotten better as the first season went on, and I suspect will keep getting better.

TGT is a bit over scripted, but has gotten better as the first season went on, and I suspect will keep getting better.
slightly, but british humor, no matter how overscripted, makes me laugh to the point of tears.  I have no idea why  

slightly, but british humor, no matter how overscripted, makes me laugh to the point of tears.  I have no idea why  
It does, but Clarkson, Hammond, and May have a chemistry between them that's unrivaled to boot.  They made the show, not the other way around when they were with Top Gear.  I suspect Top Gear on BBC will cease to exist before long.  They've even sold off the test track to land developers.

Finally got around to seeing Hidden Figures.  Pretty good movie, definitely recommend.  Only regret is that I had not read the book first...

I went to see The Lego Batman Movie with my son this weekend.  It was very good, very funny, and of course really cool Legos.  I thought that the first Lego Movie was one of the better films of the past few years, so much to see, so many layers of possible interpretation, and a surprisingly well-done emotional side.  The Lego Batman Movie is not as deeply layered, but it is very entertaining and especially in terms of the fun it pokes at the superhero genre.  We'll be purchasing this on Blu-ray for sure.  

In other news, my wife and I watched John Wick last night (the first one) because of all the hype surrounding the sequel and the strong reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  I suppose it was a good action flick, but i was kind of surprised at the simplicity of the story, to the point of almost being plotless.  I guess it didn't live up to the hype, for me.

I'll probably end up skipping Lego Batman, just because I can't stand Will Arnett's voice.

I liked John Wick and am looking forward to the second one, but then again, I don't go into any Keanu Reeves movie with high expectations for plot line.

Back