Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, y'all. I thought that I had a pretty good shot, with there being two positions open, my practical in the field knowledge and experience, and the fact that I already am established in the area. This just sucks.

A couple new positions just opened up at my company and I am definitely considering applying for them.

Both are for a light-rail expansion project on the south end of town (~15 min commute from my house). One is for a lateral transfer into another Engineer 4 position where I would be basically doing the exact same thing I've been doing for the last 5 years. The other is for a decent bump up the ladder to a Deputy Project Manager position.

While I absolutely despise my commute, the experience I'm getting at my current position will put me in a prime spot to apply for the deputy PM position in a couple of year. However, I don't foresee another opportunity to be a PM on a bigger project like this in the near future. I would love the shorter commute with just doing the lateral transfer and would love to get back to the construction world again, but I would be essentially going back to where I was 3 months ago (pigeon-holed construction engineer).

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay focused on your long-term goals. The lateral transfer sounds like a setback.

Can you stand working in Office Space for 2 more years?

tumblr_inline_n6o3tf0XoZ1r8ayy5.gif

Stay focused on your long-term goals. The lateral transfer sounds like a setback.

This is what I would suggest, unless csb is right.

Does the commute make you hate life? Because I'd go for the lateral if you currently hate life.

On the other hand, what's keeping you from applying for the PM position? I understand that you may not have the right experience on paper, but perhaps you could sell yourself well and make the jump. If I were in your shoes, I would at least throw my hat into the ring.

I have finished several book on tapes over the last year... my commute does suck balls, but I get a break every few days travelling so that helps. I do think If I had to commute, work in the same office 5 days, repeat, etc., I would go nuts...

I would do what is best for long term growth and factor in a little bit of overall happiness (maybe weighted 20%) cause as dads and husbands that's about the most happiness were allowed....

Can you apply for both?

I can apply for both. My thought is to apply for the PM spot, but if I don't get it then I will just stay where I'm at. The lateral is a professional development step back, so I'd rather not do that.

I know the recruiter and have met the project manager. The recruiter says I should apply if I meet the qualifications, and I do (barely).

Back