New Immigrant Electrical Engineer in USA (FE Exam-EIT vs Masters in EE)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EENGR87

Reaction score
Hi all,
I moved to US as an immigrant. I have BS Electrical Engineer Degree from abroad (Asian country) not from US. I have experience in designing and construction of Substations overseas but not in US.
I have applied for too many entry level positions but I didn't get any interview call. My question is that should I take FE Exam & get EIT. Will EIT be helpful in getting the job with foreign BS EE degree? or should I do Masters in Electrical Engineering to get my resume looked at? I'm not single, I have kids. Masters is a long route, if I do it part time, it will take almost 3 years to complete Masters. I don't need any sponsor from Employers. Please guide me. Thanks

I am afraid your BSEE won't be recognized/accredited in the US. I have a friend who was in similar situation and he took an electrician job and later progressed into a plant engineer/PM role. Good luck!

(not sure if EIT/FE would help - it might be even more difficult if you have been out of college too long)

I am afraid your BSEE won't be recognized/accredited in the US. I have a friend who was in similar situation and he took an electrician job and later progressed into a plant engineer/PM role. Good luck!

(not sure if EIT/FE would help - it might be even more difficult if you have been out of college too long)
Thanks for reply. If I pass both FE & PE Exam, will it be helpful? or should I go for Masters in EE?

Either route would help. For FE & PE I would suggest you contact NCEES to find out qualifications for sitting in PE exam with overseas education and experience. A few states (Maryland is one of those, or at least used to) would grant FE waiver (i.e. allowing you to take the PE without FE) but you would have to go through a lengthy review process by the state board - it's worth to look into that.

Either route would help. For FE & PE I would suggest you contact NCEES to find out qualifications for sitting in PE exam with overseas education and experience. A few states (Maryland is one of those, or at least used to) would grant FE waiver (i.e. allowing you to take the PE without FE) but you would have to go through a lengthy review process by the state board - it's worth to look into that.
Thanks a lot for guidance. May God bless you.

Back