How much do we drink?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many alcoholic drinks do you consume per week on average?

• 30+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30

• 10-20

• 1-10

• <1 (an occaisonal drink)

• 0 (never drink)

• Total voters
I went 2+ years (while competing nationally) without having a single drink.

Now, I am the <1 (an occaisonal drink) category.

I've had 2 beers this week though, but was on vacation.

I'm definitely a social drinker. Drink with friends.
So, those 6-10 weekends a year when we tailgate, watch a game or just get together, I drink 6-10. Rest of the time, I just don't seem to "have the time"...

With the new baby in the house, we've been so busy just trying to get sleep / keep up with our other 2 kids... I have had a 24 pack in the downstairs fridge, that's still 1/2 there. So, I've drank 12 beers in about 8 months at home. Usually 1-2 whilst grilling on the back patio.

They are nice to have, but I wouldn't really miss it if I lived in a dry county.
I am in the same position... except that I breastfeed. So, I will have 1 or 2 with a meal every once in a while. Other than that, I might have one after the baby's in bed... but usually I'm too tired.

But, I would not live in a dry county. If I want to have a drink, it shouldn't be up to anyone but me to decide if I CAN have a drink.

I put down zero. I was never one to drink. I always associated it with being dizzy and nauseous. Considering I got queasy on the ocean liner Queen Mary last year, I just never found a reason to start drinking. Even typing the word 'queasy' makes me a little queasy.

I only preach the non-alcoholic life style to my 16yo son.

It averages out to 1-2 per week, but I'll typically have 3-4 drinks in an evening, once or twice a month. I'm not a regular drinker or someone who has a glass of wine with dinner every night.

I've scaled back substantially as part of my weight loss effort.

I only preach the non-alcoholic life style to my 16yo son.
Speaking from experience, that could have the exact opposite effect on him when/if he goes away to college. My parents were always very strict and adamant about me not drinking throughout high school. Once I got to college, I over-indulged...big time. It's amazing I survived my freshman and sophomore years...especially with passing grades.

I just love alcohol...
especially my friend Mr. Jagermeister...
I have been hanging out with Mr. Tequila lately ... even though I have been told I need to stop diluting him with mixers! :Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

I've scaled back substantially as part of my weight loss effort.
Yeah .. I need to do the same. My weight loss progression has SLOWED significantly since I picked up those extra drinks ...

JR

I'm the child of an alcoholic, and abused it pretty bad myself in college and for a while after. one was too many, ten not enough...

I had pretty much given it up when my brother was found in a coma dying from cirrosis. I gave the order for life support to be turned off. we found empty handles all over his townhouse. Yeah, I'm done with it.

I'm the child of an alcoholic, and abused it pretty bad myself in college and for a while after. one was too many, ten not enough...
Very good that you had the desire and willpower to stop. My dad died from organ failure related to alcohol abuse, but the real tragedy for him was that he had so much potential to be a great engineer and never was. He struggled his whole life, making job and life changes to get out of the most recent trouble in his life. He ended up as a general contractor so he could be his own boss and have his own alcohol policy. It ruled his existence.

Speaking from experience, that could have the exact opposite effect on him when/if he goes away to college. My parents were always very strict and adamant about me not drinking throughout high school. Once I got to college, I over-indulged...big time. It's amazing I survived my freshman and sophomore years...especially with passing grades.

I don't demonize drinking. I make sure everything I tell him is 100% true. Good and bad sides. Scare tactics don't work on teenagers. If they see your bluff, you lose all credibility.

The advice I give him is that same I got from my father.

The advice I give him is that same I got from my father.
Homer: OK, don't panic -- remember the advice your father gave you on your wedding day. [remembers]

Grandpa: If you ever travel back in time, don't step on anything because even the tiniest change can alter the future in ways you can't imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good that you had the desire and willpower to stop. My dad died from organ failure related to alcohol abuse, but the real tragedy for him was that he had so much potential to be a great engineer and never was. He struggled his whole life, making job and life changes to get out of the most recent trouble in his life. He ended up as a general contractor so he could be his own boss and have his own alcohol policy. It ruled his existence.
My experience is similar. Alcohol still rules my Dad's life and it's hard to watch. Though I'm more concerned now for my brother who is 27 and has a lot of potential, but I'm afraid is following the same path. I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do about it.

Personally I usually have 1-2 drinks on the weekends and none during the week. On a rare occasion I'll get pretty loopy, usually after a long stressful period or to celebrate something. But it hurts a lot more than it used to and I can't just spend the next day sleeping it off.

I can handle social drinking now, I tend to avoid it though.

Funny, we were talking about friends that have a mountain cabin or a house on the lake passed down through the family.

we got a bar tab.

My experience is similar. Alcohol still rules my Dad's life and it's hard to watch. Though I'm more concerned now for my brother who is 27 and has a lot of potential, but I'm afraid is following the same path....
I have siblings who definitely exhibit addictive behavior patterns similar to my dad. The problem is, YOU can't change it. You can encourage and love and care and beg, but YOU can't change someone else's behavior.

I have siblings who definitely exhibit addictive behavior patterns similar to my dad. The problem is, YOU can't change it. You can encourage and love and care and beg, but YOU can't change someone else's behavior.
I've had more discussions with my sister than I can remember. She's 10 years older than I am, no savings, no house, no credit, unemployed, smokes like a chimney, and drinks throughout the day/all week long. We've tried, we've offered, we've kept our door open for her - but she chooses to stay where she's at. I think one of the worst feelings I had was when I was in her house (15+ years ago) and went to the fridge to see what there was to eat. It was completely empty except for a case of beer. She had no food, just beer. She was choosing to spend any money she had on beer and cigs.

That's not something I can really understand at all, when something can control you like that.

I'll get lit up every so often, but she's my constant reminder to not get too carried away.

It's really sad to see someone you care for make such poor life choices. For me, the sibling thing is hard enough, a parent though, that's tough.

I can empathize with those who have watched family, friends, or loved ones succumb to destructive addictions - I have watched it happen within my own family. It is heart wretching to watch people literally flush their life down the drain while dragging those around them down as well.

Life is all about choices and it is REALLY tough to watch people make bad choices ....

JR

My paternal grandfather was a serious alcoholic who eventually drank himself to death (liver failure). I never met him because everyone in my family hated him so much, they kept us grandkids away from him and, in fact, told us he was dead. (I later learned that he wasn't dead, right after he was).

I used to drink a lot, but only at parties and I always seemed to be able to turn it off during normal weeknights and such. I decided 10 years ago to stop drinking hard liquor altogether, just to avoid the potential for getting hammered beyond reason (which can and did happen to me a lot on those nights). I've always been a bit fearful of the genetics. Since I've been married and had kids, my drinking is mostly down to one night a week, totally social, and usually in the 4 to 6 beer range. Which I still consider a lot, but I don't miss the drinking if I'm not in that particular social situation. If I am in that situation, I do seem to feel the need to drink the beer. Not sure if that's a problem, but it doesn't seem to be hurting me much at this point.

Back