How much do we drink?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many alcoholic drinks do you consume per week on average?

• 30+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30

• 10-20

• 1-10

• <1 (an occaisonal drink)

• 0 (never drink)

• Total voters
Count me in the kid of an alcoholic who saw the effects of alcohol on other generations. My grandmother died of esophageal cancer, which was brought on partially by heavy drinking. My mother went into recovery when I was pretty little and it seemed like a lot of effort. As a result I always worried when I would drink, "Is this the drink that will send me over the edge?" I didn't drink until I was almost 20. When I did, I went a little crazy. I'll still drink every once in awhile, but it's not really something we keep in the house. For instance, I'll head to a conference this week, so I'll probably have a few drinks. Normal week? Nothing.

And with the test coming up, I do have a slight inclination to go out afterward and drink my face off but I also fall in the camp of having a kid and not recovering as fast makes drinking even less fun. Taking care of another human means you can't just sleep and eat the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
My coworker calls the whole dieting thing a simple mass balance problem. All you have to do is restrict the calories coming in and/or find a way to burn more calories . . .
If it were only that easy. Once you factor in emotions, "fun with friends", random other infuluences, the mass balance equation goes out the window...at least it feels that way. :)

If it were only that easy. Once you factor in emotions, "fun with friends", random other infuluences, the mass balance equation goes out the window...at least it feels that way. :)
Well, the mass balance is still there - you just have to throw in some statistics to account for the probability distributions for those additional parameters. :)

JR

I think the mass balance equation is that easy. Some of us just have a hard time turning off all the distractions to focus on the process.

I once puked on a window. Is that what you mean?

Oh not this again... he claims to have calculated everything out... I say impossible too many variables in the human body!
Are you dissing me EG ??!!! :p

I am surprised you remember that discussion of my statistical regression of a bodily function ....

I agree with that!
Which part are you agreeing with:

I cannot possibly develop a statistical correlation 'correction' factor for the mass balance; or too many variables to develop for the human body?

I think the mass balance equation is that easy. Some of us just have a hard time turning off all the distractions to focus on the process.
Hey .. as the master statistician on this board, you are supposed to be SUPPORTING my statements dude!

I once puked on a window.
Somehow I am not surprised .... do you have any accompanying artwork? :)

JR

^No, but I destroyed some nice curtains!
I puked on a gf's sister before ... does that count at all?? :D

Actually, that was my celebratory last night in Gainesville at the Salty Dog and Purple Porpoise after I found out that I passed FE! Way too many pitchers of beer .... :wacko:

JR

Last edited:
Hey .. as the master statistician on this board, you are supposed to be SUPPORTING my statements dude!
My bad-- Here is my stab at things:
1. I agree that there are a finite, but very large, number of processes in the body that can be divided into input processes and output processes.

2. Central Limit Theorem says that they can be approximated by a normal distribution.

3. Given 2, the probability of weight gain is given by the following statistical test for 95% confidence:

H0=Inputs-Outputs>=0

H1=Inputs-Outputs<0 (lose weight)

Test Statistic is of type "Dependent t test" and of the form:
f2ee30352d79b7b84e51d2195c97a03f.png

4. Evaluate t-distribution for the finite, but very large, minus 1 degrees of freedom and 95% confidence.

5. If abs(test statistic) is greater than 4, then reject H0 and you can statistically support the claim that you are loosing weight!

I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would need at least four beers to understand that ^^
Its not worth it Dleg.While the CivEng's are figuring out beam deflections, transportation code, and whatnot, IE's get to get up close and personal with graduate level statistics as part of the body of knowledge. Actually, the test above isn't the worst of it. You should check out the 2 way ANOVA problems for some really hairy stuff.

Its not worth it Dleg.While the CivEng's are figuring out beam deflections, transportation code, and whatnot, IE's get to get up close and personal with graduate level statistics as part of the body of knowledge. Actually, the test above isn't the worst of it. You should check out the 2 way ANOVA problems for some really hairy stuff.
IF you can't use the General Linear Model, it ain't worth it......

Thank you. I feel much better now (though I do remember running into ANOVA calcs for determining whether a "hit" on groundwater monitoring at a landfill means anything)

Thank you. I feel much better now (though I do remember running into ANOVA calcs for determining whether a "hit" on groundwater monitoring at a landfill means anything)
Analysis of Variance rocks!! :th_rockon:

Many of the measures that provided to describe the 'quality' of environmental remediation in my state utilize a number of statistical approaches since we employ risk-based corrective action (RBCA). I ended up getting to pretend like I understand the mechanics of the methods. :)

JR

Back