GOOD Day.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm off to a good start.

It's a nice day, and I'm up for taking a run after work, surprisingly not sore after the weekend.

Our client is happy with a report we submitted last week, which is good because we have a similar one due for another project soon.

And I got a very special wake up call this morning. :th_rockon:

It's the wee little guy who only sleeps 2.5 hrs at a time.
Hope yours gets better at 8 months than mine is... Let's just say I had a very stern talk with the gentleman last night at 2AM that I'm kind of tired of his late night adventures. It's kind of hard to be mad at the guy when he's SOOO awake and happy at 2AM, though. He's just ready to party.

My butt is a draggin this morning, however. Coffee, I need Coffee. My 4 cups thus far have not kicked in like I want them to. Time for another run.

I'm off to a good start.
It's a nice day, and I'm up for taking a run after work, surprisingly not sore after the weekend.

Our client is happy with a report we submitted last week, which is good because we have a similar one due for another project soon.

I miss those wake up calls. My 3 year old gets in the bed with us at 6:00 now so those wake up calls ended indefinitely.

Hope yours gets better at 8 months than mine is... Let's just say I had a very stern talk with the gentleman last night at 2AM that I'm kind of tired of his late night adventures. It's kind of hard to be mad at the guy when he's SOOO awake and happy at 2AM, though. He's just ready to party.
If there is nothing that he NEEDS, close the door and let him cry!

When my younger one was about a year old, I took her in for a checkup and the pediatrician asked if she was sleeping through the night. When I told him that she had been, but was not any more, he gave me the insight to realize that a baby was making me miserable. If you want details, I'll share them, but within a week we were all sleeping better.

We let our kid cry it out at about 7 months. It killed me inside that first night, but the second night I was so happy to be sleeping that I didn't care what happened the night before.

We go with the self soothing method. Both of our kids were sleeping through the night from about 2-1/2 months old till they were about 10 or 11 months old. They then realized that they could wake Mommy and Daddy up if they were persistent, until Mommy and Daddy got smart. We used a method where, when they woke up and started screaming, we immediately went up and calmed them down for 2 minutes, however, we didn't make eye contact, and we didn't talk to them. Just patted them on the back and made shushing sounds. Then we would leave for 5 minutes. If they were still screaming after 5 minutes we would go back in and calm for 2 more minutes. Next time we would leave for 10 minutes. They would almost always have put themselves back to sleep after the 10 minutes but if they didn't, we kept adding 5 minutes to the time. They learned to put themselves back to sleep and still, occasionally they'll wake up but it is a rarity. The other thing is that from day one we refrained from using "sleep aids" to put them to bed, i.e. mobiles, music, etc.. Lastly, when we put them to bed, we read for 15 or 20 minutes a night and then put them in the bed whether they're asleep or not. That also teaches them to put themselves to sleep. It probably all seems very regimented and rigid but I will say that we're one of about 10 families that we know of that have kids that sleep well. I have a good friend with a 14 month old who has been sleeping in his bed since she was born. In fact they bought a king size bed to accomodate her. ABSOLUTELY NUCKING FUTS.

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably all seems very regimented and rigid but I will say that we're one of about 10 families that we know of that have kids that sleep well. I have a good friend with a 14 month old who has been sleeping in his bed since she was born. In fact they bought a king size bed to accomodate her. ABSOLUTELY NUCKING FUTS.
we don't have kids yet, but that is the one thing that always bugs me when hear about it.

I miss these. Haven't had one in about 3 years. :(

We go with the self soothing method. Both of our kids were sleeping through the night from about 2-1/2 months old till they were about 10 or 11 months old. They then realized that they could wake Mommy and Daddy up if they were persistent, until Mommy and Daddy got smart. We used a method where, when they woke up and started screaming, we immediately went up and calmed them down for 2 minutes, however, we didn't make eye contact, and we didn't talk to them. Just patted them on the back and made shushing sounds. Then we would leave for 5 minutes. If they were still screaming after 5 minutes we would go back in and calm for 2 more minutes. Next time we would leave for 10 minutes. They would almost always have put themselves back to sleep after the 10 minutes but if they didn't, we kept adding 5 minutes to the time. They learned to put themselves back to sleep and still, occasionally they'll wake up but it is a rarity. The other thing is that from day one we refrained from using "sleep aids" to put them to bed, i.e. mobiles, music, etc.. Lastly, when we put them to bed, we read for 15 or 20 minutes a night and then put them in the bed whether they're asleep or not. That also teaches them to put themselves to sleep. It probably all seems very regimented and rigid but I will say that we're one of about 10 families that we know of that have kids that sleep well. I have a good friend with a 14 month old who has been sleeping in his bed since she was born. In fact they bought a king size bed to accomodate her. ABSOLUTELY NUCKING FUTS.
Mini-Buff has been sleeping through the night since she was about 3 months old. We got into a habit of letting her into our bed in the morning, but are breaking that habit now. There has been some crying and gnashing of teeth, but we have made great progress. Last night, she slept from about 8:30 to 7:30, uninterupted. Ah, glorious sleep!

we don't have kids yet, but that is the one thing that always bugs me when hear about it.
That, and baby talk, is enough to deter me from ever wanting children.

There is nothing more asinine and overwhelmingly obnoxious than people who feel the need to ALWAYS use baby talk.

"Whooze a wittwe snubby-wubby-kins?! YOU'RE my widdle schnubby-wubby-a-boo-boo-boopie-kins, yes you are!"

And people wonder why the United States is educationally so far behind other countries.

I do absolutely hate baby talk. I do have a tendency to change my voice a little bit with my kids but I try to be conscious of not sounding like a total dill hole.
Concur. The pitch in my voice changes (a little higher), but I pretty much use my standard language around Mini-Buff. However, my cursing is GREATLY curtailed. The missus is still working on this.

We don't have kids because we'd use phrase like:

Oh, yes you are going to eat it. And you're going to like it.

You'll get nothing and like it!

I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week.

If you don't stop crying, I'll give you something to cry about.

those all sound very familar :thumbs: Although in today's society saying any of those phrases in public could probably earn you a visit from DCFS.

I've got another one for you. I must give credit to Bill Cosby for this one.

If you don't behave, I'll kill you. I can make another one that looks just like you.

One of my favorites is from my sister: "Don't roll your eyes at me. I can knock them out of your head and roll them across the floor." She may have gotten it from somebody else, but the first time I heard her say it, I laughed hysterically.

^ I like that one. My Dad read some book he wrote about fatherhood he used to quote when I was a kid.

We're definitely not in the market for kids. I can stand them for about 20 minutes, my wife about 30. We had lunch with some friends recently and they brought their kid along, who despite being well behaved, we wanted to toss out the window by the time dessert arrived.

I think that's one of those things you need to be all in with or otherwise you are doing a disservice to everyone involved. I cringe when I hear people say their marriage is on the rocks so they've decided to have a kid to bring them closer together.

Back