GOOD Day.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We fall into the 68/72 rule here at work. No warmer than 68 during the winter and no cooler than 72 during the summer...although if once all the lights are on and people show up to work the temparature gets above 68, the A/C turns on. So where is the cost cutting?

If you get here before 8am or leave late enough, it's VERY dark in there, and I've seen more than my fair share of people, myself included, nearly clipped by a car as it came around a corner.
That sounds against code. Some emergency lighting should be on?

We fall into the 68/72 rule here at work. No warmer than 68 during the winter and no cooler than 72 during the summer...although if once all the lights are on and people show up to work the temparature gets above 68, the A/C turns on. So where is the cost cutting?
Doesn't sound like the person setting up this "saving" has any concept of free cooling or programming of HVAC... Or, maybe it just feels like the A/C is on, but they are just pumping in cooler fresh air from outside (free)?

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds against code. Some emergency lighting should be on?

It wouldn't surprise me. They used to leave it on and then it would shut off right at 7 am every day, even though it was still dark. But I've been getting here earlier than 7 as of late, and they never even come on. The only lighting is the faint overhead ones near the stairs/elevators.

Emergency lighting for parking areas only has to be 1 footcandle... theoretically enough for a "normal-sighted" person to see the path of egress. It is NOT a requirement to provide enough light to see anything, say, 10ft away from you.

As a woman, I have argued for (and gotten) additional lighting in my old office's parking garage in the name of safety. Basically, the parking garage was frequently used by vagrants for sleeping, and I didn't feel safe not being able to see more than 10 ft away.

Well, turns out I wasn't just imagining things:

Good Morning ----,
We have had some air conditioning problems with the East side units this morning. We have our contractor on site at this time. Hopefully, we can get this resolved as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience.

Thanks.
AC is blowing again, and the resultant swamp-ass has subsided.

Our office is never warm enough for me and I swear that it's been 60 in here in the summer with the AC running full blast...and it does not get very hot nor humid here.

But today is a good day...I have a job and I woke up in a house I can afford! :)

Our office is never warm enough for me and I swear that it's been 60 in here in the summer with the AC running full blast...and it does not get very hot nor humid here.
But today is a good day...I have a job and I woke up in a house I can afford! :)

Look on the bright side. If you lose your job, you can buy a house you CAN'T afford, and the government will bail you out!

I'm studying for the LEED exam that I take Thursday Morning, so I spent all weekend doing that....I'll let you all know Thursday afternoon.....if today was good!

Time change isn't bothering my sleep at all.

:blink:

It's the wee little guy who only sleeps 2.5 hrs at a time. :eek:ldtimer: :(

I can relate to that. And THAT would definitely be kicking my behind!!! But, you have to admit that there is something very good about holding a baby, knowing that you can provide everything he needs for now. His life is so simple for now.

Day is not starting out so hot.

Tried to get into work a little bit early so that I could step out just the same.

1) Forgot my wallet, had to go back in to the apartment to get it.

2) Forgot my cell phone, had to go back into the apartment to get it.

3) Forgot my ID badge (also our door key), had to go back into the apartment to get it.

4) Walk through the garage, through the building, get to the office door, realize the ID badge is in the car.

Whole thing ended up making me about 15 minutes later than I normally get here.

Back