Getting Laid off, should i start getting references

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodoboy

Reaction score
Hello, I have 3 years control systems exp. I am getting laid off soon. Should I start gathering references now from PE co workers, or wait til i get new job and get references then.

It will be tuff getting a new job in control systems with my limit exp.

Do the 4 years have to be consecutive with no time off?

Thanks

Hello, I have 3 years control systems exp. I am getting laid off soon. Should I start gathering references now from PE co workers, or wait til i get new job and get references then.

Thanks
The 4 years do NOT need to be consecutive. I worked for a couple of years, went back to school for my master's, then went back to work for a couple of years and my application for the PE exam was approved. Also, IF you go back to school (I'm not saying you should, but it's an option), many states will let you use a year of thesis/research work as a year of experience, or let you count a master's degree as a year of experience, so you'll be able to take the exam then.

As for gathering references, if you anticipate that you'll remain in the same state, then do it while you can easily do it. I gathered references from my first job, but when I took my second job I moved to a different state. In my case, there were a couple of problems:

1. My new state had their own reference forms that they wanted filled out.

2. By the time I was ready to apply to take the PE exam, one of my PE references from the first job let his license lapse, so I couldn't use him as a PE reference anyway.

So basically, even though I had gathered references from my first job, I wasn't able to use them. I had to go back to those people and have them fill out a new reference form anyway. So yeah, if you think you might be taking the PE exam in a different state, don't bother gathering your references now. Make sure you have their contact info (personal email), though!

As for your fourth year of experience, as long as it is engineering experience, you should be able to use it. I wish you the best of luck in whatever path you choose. Times are tough, I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks
The 4 years do NOT need to be consecutive. I worked for a couple of years, went back to school for my master's, then went back to work for a couple of years and my application for the PE exam was approved. Also, IF you go back to school (I'm not saying you should, but it's an option), many states will let you use a year of thesis/research work as a year of experience, or let you count a master's degree as a year of experience, so you'll be able to take the exam then.

As for gathering references, if you anticipate that you'll remain in the same state, then do it while you can easily do it. I gathered references from my first job, but when I took my second job I moved to a different state. In my case, there were a couple of problems:

1. My new state had their own reference forms that they wanted filled out.

2. By the time I was ready to apply to take the PE exam, one of my PE references from the first job let his license lapse, so I couldn't use him as a PE reference anyway.

So basically, even though I had gathered references from my first job, I wasn't able to use them. I had to go back to those people and have them fill out a new reference form anyway. So yeah, if you think you might be taking the PE exam in a different state, don't bother gathering your references now. Make sure you have their contact info (personal email), though!

As for your fourth year of experience, as long as it is engineering experience, you should be able to use it. I wish you the best of luck in whatever path you choose. Times are tough, I know.

Thank you. Do you I need to have my PE references complete a form now or just gather their contact info? Kind of confused. Is there a form I need to give them? My last day is next week so Im trying to rush to clear things up. I want start studying until October.

Thanks

Too bad you aren't in Oregon, we seem to have trouble getting enough Control System guys.

On the plus side, you are in the right field in my estimation.

In TX, the 4 years do not have to be consecutive. One of my co-workers is preparing his application for the October exam and he has a period in his time when he went through a company lay-off. The interesting thing is that he is having to document a reference for his time off on the application.

Too bad you aren't in Oregon, we seem to have trouble getting enough Control System guys.
On the plus side, you are in the right field in my estimation.
Thanks for replying. Why do you say I am in the right field? Just asking. I am new to Control System. I wish I was in Oregon righ now.

Thanks.

Back