Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CivilAgE

Reaction score
I found this forum while trying to find benefits to taking multiple PE exams (different disciplines).

My situation is rather unique, I have a BS & MS in Agricultural Engineering with a Co-Major in Soil Science. My undergraduate focus was Land and Water Resources, but my graduate research project was about the effects of heavy machinery on soil properties and crop growth--more machine systems and how it interacts & impacts the soil.

I enjoy my job designing, reviewing, & approving as-built soil & water conservation systems, but some days I really miss the machine systems & instrumentation test engineering.

I can see myself going back to get my PhD in Ag Engineering (who knows what kind of work) then doing research, or even jumping ship over to an off-road heavy equipment industry. But my current job is very fulfilling & I am content. Someday, I would like to do consulting work independently (my father is a double entrepreneur & I have always been intrigued to have my own business).

Regardless of where I end up & when, I have always wanted to obtain my PE license since learning about it in undergrad. The questions that remain are: What discipline? Or should I try to take the exam for both Ag & Biosystems AND Civil WRE?

Pick the one you are most interested in that will result in something billable in a couple of years based on solving future client's problems. You might find that you don't need the others and can then focus on the independent contracting goal. In my experience, there is plenty of work to do in the areas that my career has afford me the ability to call myself an "expert".

In my experience, Client's want experts... not Jane's of all trades... :)

(two cents from a B.S. and P.E. Mechanical ; Engineering Services Business owner)

Back