Expecting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll be 36 weeks on Sunday. We need to take the tour as well. I have not packed any bags yet, but I am keeping my phone on at all times, trying to make sure that I do not go into areas w/o cell reception. I also need to have the paternity talk with the boss. I am taking at least 1 week off (vacation time), but am thinking about asking for 2. What have other guys done in this dept., and how have you dealt with the difficult boss that says 'You didn't have the kid, why do you need time off'?

We'll be 36 weeks on Sunday. We need to take the tour as well. I have not packed any bags yet, but I am keeping my phone on at all times, trying to make sure that I do not go into areas w/o cell reception. I also need to have the paternity talk with the boss. I am taking at least 1 week off (vacation time), but am thinking about asking for 2. What have other guys done in this dept., and how have you dealt with the difficult boss that says 'You didn't have the kid, why do you need time off'?
you can always claim you are being discrimated against. From what I have been told that's why male state employees now get 2-wk paternity leave...unless the wifey is also a state employee...it's a one per family thing.

I have not had that happen yet, but am trying to put up a defense just-in-case. I don't think it will be a problem, but we shall see. As far as working from home, I am hoping to work out a deal where I can work from home 1 day a week, and be able to provide baby-sitting/entertainment for the kid. I guess it's time for one of those sit-down conversations with the boss (which usually go well, as evidenced by my last raise).

I took one week off, I think the second week after the boy was born. The first week, my wife had her mom helping her out. I think the one week was some sort of male maternity leave that I was due. (State government).

A submission for the EB art museum, inspired by this thread (and my indelible memories):

SOME THINGS CAN'T BE UN-SEEN:

childbirth-499iwkjg3.jpeg

Taking the tour was the best thing i did before hand. Also packing ahead of time. I was so nervous i did three rechecks of the house before we left. then when we got there, it was nice to know exactly where to go and what to do.

As for dlegs cartoon, that is so right on (though, i wouldn't have missed it for the world i just should have changed my angle of view). But, I got pictures of the babys head before she crowned (my wife swore me to never show anybody).

Before the epidural, my wife looked like linda blair from the exorsist; I was about to hose her down with holy water and beat her with a rosery.

I'm taking a week and a half off, but it is all vacation time. My public agency is more conservative than most when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Before the epidural, my wife looked like linda blair from the exorsist; I was about to hose her down with holy water and beat her with a rosery.
:Locolaugh: so true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not had that happen yet, but am trying to put up a defense just-in-case.
IMHO, you can't really sweat this yet. Your boss knows that your wife is pregnant and about to give birth - just let that happen. If you try to start working up to a 'defense' of leave you will probably begin to not only become anxious about the time you will need to take off but you will also get angry and frustrated with your 'unsympathetic' boss.

I think you should pull the sympathy card after the baby is born because you honestly don't know how long you will want time off or to have some flexibility with being around.

My related experience was when my wife had surgery a few years back. She was in a real mess ... I thought I would only need to be around to help her out immediately after the surgery when in actuality, she really needed help for the following three weeks. I hadn't specified the time I needed out of work with my supervisor - just that my wife was having surgery. Turned out to be a good thing to discuss with my supervisor afterwards. I was able to give him detailed reasons about why I needed time away and what I would be doing to make sure I didn't fall behind at work.

:2cents:

JR

Some helpful pointers for those expecting parents

howtotakecareofababyweb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DAMN! And I was gonna use the doggy kennel that is taking up space in my crawlspace for baby storage!

That's some good stuff!

I wish I had seen that when my kids were still babies! I might have avoided those wiring hazards!

Update: My wife had a cold when she went to the OB on Friday, and had an elevated BP reading. The OB said to check it a couple times a day, and if it stays high, we may have to induce. I have a relatively high BP, and am on meds for it, and also have a home BP monitor. So, of course the wife is stressing about it, and checking her BP about 14 times per day...needless to say, her BP is high. I got her to calm down, and only chrck it 2 X per day, and to relax, and things are better. But I am now on alert! BTW, I finally got the major pinting done in the nursery. Now I need to install the ceiling fan and clean the carpet, then I can start putting furniture in there.

We have had the high BP episode as well. Her's has come back down, and the doctor has said that if we go to 39 weeks, which is next week, with her BP fine, we will talk about inducing.

There seems to be a lot of push, (no pun intended) for inducing labor these days, when there was no complications for mom or baby. The last three or four friends/family to have babies were all induced. Why can't you just wait until the baby is ready? The due date is an approximation anyways. My cousin paid dearly for inducing...it didn't work. She was in labor for over 2 days! She had wanted like 4 to 6 kids...after this experience my new little cuz may be an only child.

Back