Ebola is here, Dallas, Texas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 8yr old, who is oblivious to the news, told me he had a stomach ache before I put them to bed the other night. Jokingly and in passing, I said "Is it ebola?". "Whats that?" he asked. I replied "I don't know, but if you have it you die.". "Goodnight." I turned and went downstairs. He has a great sense of humor so it didn't occur to me that he would take it me seriously. 90 seconds later I heard a knock and sobbing at the door. He told mom goodal that dad told him he was going to die. We both tried to stiffle the laughter, but were unsuccessful. We told him he did not have ebola and he took it well. Kids.

Hopefully he doesn't tell his teacher that he has Ebola. They'll have the whole school on lock down and DCYF at your door.

Wife worked all weekend, on her way home last night she stop by the grocery store for something quick she said it was very obvious people were staying 5 to 10 steps away from her as she walked around the store and her nurses outfit as well as in the checkout line.

I wonder how funny it would be to induce some type of fake massive throw up right there in the middle of the checkout line.

You've got to be kidding me... the President is appointing a political hack with no medical or public health expertise to be his "Ebola Czar". Meanwhile there is no confirmed Surgeon General, who ought to be filling this role, and Obama's nominee for that post is almost universally viewed as not qualified. The SG is not only a position that is supposed to coordinate all federal agencies in their response to health crises, but is also the commanding officer of one of the seven uniformed US services - the Public Health Service - which could be utilized to do many things in this situation, and even be militarized, to ensure all of its 6700 officers are available to respond. There's an acting SG, a very respected and capable officer who rose through the ranks to earn his stars, but he is deferring to CDC in light of not being confirmed and having the blessing of the president.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/10/17/were-getting-an-ebola-czar-we-need-a-surgeon-general/

I heard this on NPR when I was driving to Indy last weekend. My favorite part of the story is one of the reasons that Obama's candidate is being blocked by Republicans in Congress. They said that the candidate holds the controversial opinion that gun control is a public health problem. If that is the kind of batshit stupid people that Obama is nominating to lead this country, then I commend the Republicans for stone-walling him.

And so it starts all over. Some doctor was just rushed to Bellevue hospital with a 103 degree fever and some kind of intestinal issues. He apparently returned from West Africa on October 9th where he was treating Ebola patients.

I haven't seen a report on those 2 nurses in while (other than the ones dog didn't have ebola)

I heard the one who flew despite the CDC advising against it was declared Ebola free now.

what I thought I read was that they were going to do "send home" thermometers and log books for passengers for the airports that predominately receive inbound West African Passengers- the news story said those 6 or 7 airports "usually" receive 70% of West African Passengers... very comforting. with the "take home logs" I am sure those will get filled out..

I got on an Ebola kick last night, and watched the 2 Nova documentaries on it (one from the 90s and one just this month). I recommend them - especially the most recent. I watched it on Youtube, so it's very easy to find. I also watched a PBS documentary from earlier this year on Yellow Fever in America - also pretty interesting, but not as good as the Ebola shows. Yellow Fever is a hemorrhagic virus that kills in almost the same way as Ebola, and wiped out huge percentages of the U.S. population for a couple of hundred years until they figured out it was coming from mosquitoes, right around the time of the Spanish-America war.

They just reported that the doctor has tested positive for Ebola. Here we go again...

Back