Ebola is here, Dallas, Texas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Dleg pointed out, back in the day, everyone who came to America was quarantined at Ellis Island somewhere..

And I want to reiterate, top notch hospitals are not prepared for an outbreak, don't be fooled by anyone that tells you otherwise, what happened in Texas would most likely happen at any place in the Country.

As Dleg pointed out, back in the day, everyone who came to America was quarantined at Ellis Island somewhere..

That's referring to immigrants; the Constitution does not apply to them. We are talking about American citizens. USA

If a person is showing no symptoms and tests negative for the disease I don't see how one can say due process is served to justify a quarantine.

A leaders role is to make difficult decisions that are not going to be popular with everyone.

And if the Constitution does not apply to immigrants then why in the hell are we spending our money to pay for schooling of the children of illegal immigrants?

55394012.jpg

And if the Constitution does not apply to immigrants then why in the hell are we spending our money to pay for schooling of the children of illegal immigrants?

No clue. We should send them back to where they came from if you ask me.

I agree the quarantined Ebola nurse is irritating and whiney. I am sure she has valid constitutional questions in need of answers. But I have two comments on that: 1. diseases aren't subject to the constitution - quarantines should not be put on hold pending adjudication through the U.S. legal system, and 2. she is probably doing far more harm than good to the cause of public health professionals everywhere, which leads me to agree that yes, she is being incredibly selfish. Don't forget that when she passed through the airport screening, she met all the criteria for flagging as potential Ebola - she had just been in Western Africa, had been in close contact with people having Ebola, and had a temperature of over 101 F. Yes, the quarantine itself was very poorly operated, and yes I agree that she ultimately should have been released to self-enforced isolation, like everyone else coming back to the U.S. (BTW I am told that government personnel coming back from the new Ebola treatment units will be held for an additional month in isolation, prior to returning to duty). In my opinion, she needs to be far more understanding of the situation before she ends up achieving her aim of getting some sort of restraining order on government quarantines, all argued and pushed by lawyers and not public health professionals, and then having that backfire and result in deaths.

so the Texas nurse that was infected with Ebola is suing her hospital. saying they didn't provide proper training or equipment. I am usually not a huge fan of lawsuits, but I think this is a good thing to get some case law out there to force hospitals to provide the proper training and equipment in the future.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/us/nina-pham-hospital-lawsuit/index.html

I think you're biased. All jobs have risks and the health profession has potential infection. It was an ordeal and thankfully she survived but I'm not a fan of making people rich because life handed them a lousy card.

"According to The Dallas Morning News, Pham wants unspecified damages for physical pain, mental anguish, medical expenses and loss of future earnings. But she told the newspaper that she wants to "make hospitals and big corporations realize that nurses and health care workers, especially frontline people, are important. And we don't want nurses to start turning into patients.""

"physical and mental pain" always gets me in these lawsuits, think of how many people are experiencing pain on a daily basis but aren't "fortunate" enough to have a deep-pockets entity to sue.

"medical expenses" - I think her employer should definitely cover this. It was a workplace incident that caused it.

"and loss of future earnings" - why? I don't know if she has any working limitations

"make hospitals and big corporations realize that nurses and health care workers, especially frontline people, are important. And we don't want nurses to start turning into patients" - ding, ding, ding she's a martyr for all the healthcare workers and should get a huge personal settlement to teach those hospital owners/operators a lesson. this part of these types of lawsuits I do not agree with.

yes I am probably biased, but providing staff with paper gowns is way below what most would deem "reasonable" care.

I would venture that most people don't have any real safety & health risks at their job, aside from getting into a car wreck on the way to work.

yes I am probably biased, but providing staff with paper gowns is way below what most would deem "reasonable" care.

I would venture that most people don't have any real safety & health risks at their job, aside from getting into a car wreck on the way to work.

not according to OSHA and Forbe's. Though in reality, the worst risk out there to anyone currently is supposedly workplace violence.

Back