Ebola is here, Dallas, Texas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr.Krak's dad is going to Africa. Not sure when or which part. Do you think travel to all of Africa should be restricted or only to the affected area? I'm thinking it should all be restricted until this situation is under control.

Mr.Krak's dad is going to Africa. Not sure when or which part. Do you think travel to all of Africa should be restricted or only to the affected area? I'm thinking it should all be restricted until this situation is under control.
Yes. They should restrict traveling right NOW. It makes sense, which means they are not going to do it.

Yes. They should restrict traveling right NOW. It makes sense, which means they are not going to do it.

didn't they just ask for voluntary agreements to be signed by the health care workers in Texas that they would avoid public places and travel or some such non-sense like that... uhhh.... way to pussyfoot around things

I say let the man go to Africa- just don't let him back in our country afterwards

Either way, I coming her, your wife and any other nurse person in the medical treatment profession.

"I coming her"?

"Africa" is a big ass continent, with a wide range of societies. Is he headed to Liberia? Bad idea. South Africa? Travel on.

They mentioned on the news this morning that travel restrictions might not be as helpful as we all would hope.

http://www.turnto10.com/story/26800081/ebola-rising-call-for-ban-on-travel-from-w-africa

The president met into the evening with top aides and health officials at the White House, declaring afterward that he had no "philosophical objection" to imposing a travel ban on West Africa but had been told by health and security experts that it would be less effective than measures already in place - and perhaps would be counterproductive.

He said a ban could result in people trying to hide where they were coming from and thus becoming less likely to be screened.

But isn't that what passports are for? Just tell us where you dirty bitches have been?

I know a few people that work in TSA and was talking with them Wednesday. They said they've been dealing with passengers flying in to our airport infected that may have Ebola. All they will say is that the passenger's have been detained. It pisses me off our imposter in chief isn't taking this shit seriously and not restricting flights from Liberia.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a few people that work in TSA and was talking with them Wednesday. They said they've been dealing with passengers flying in to our airport infected with Ebola. All they will say is that the passenger's have been detained. It pisses me off our imposter in chief isn't taking this shit seriously and not restricting flights from Liberia.

you know doctors that work for the TSA? cause I'm not so sure that a TSA agent/employee is actually qualified to diagnose ebola...

perhaps they meant they were detained because they had been exposed or were showing symptoms but this is kind of one of those panic inducing rumors that probably isn't very helpful and only accomplishes pissing people off or scaring them...

Edit- I would also love to know what airport... Atlanta- sure cause that's where they are flying patients to get treated (duh)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a few people that work in TSA and was talking with them Wednesday. They said they've been dealing with passengers flying in to our airport infected with Ebola. All they will say is that the passenger's have been detained. It pisses me off our imposter in chief isn't taking this shit seriously and not restricting flights from Liberia.
you know doctors that work for the TSA? cause I'm not so sure that a TSA agent/employee is actually qualified to diagnose ebola...

perhaps they meant they were detained because they had been exposed or were showing symptoms but this is kind of one of those panic inducing rumors that probably isn't very helpful and only accomplishes pissing people off or scaring them...

Edit- I would also love to know what airport... Atlanta- sure cause that's where they are flying patients to get treated (duh)
Once a month or so I have lunch with a few of my friends and they work for TSA. They are not doctors so certainly not qualified to make that determination. However, if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck.....

Once a month or so I have lunch with a few of my friends and they work for TSA. They are not doctors so certainly not qualified to make that determination. However, if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck.....
... it might be a chicken dressed up as a duck for Halloween.

Unless these people saw the "infected people" bleeding from their eyes and orifices, the flu looks like ebola so you can't go off of that... they JUST had a lady here recently come from Libera and go to the doctors with flu symptoms and test negative for it... I'm not saying they shouldn't be isolated and tested but it's not really smart to refer to them as "infected people"

What the frak is wrong with this country?

My wife called me 10 minutes ago almost hysterical because, and I quote her, " A whole town in Texas was locked down because a family of 5 tested positive to ebola". She even mentioned the name of the Dad, Jack Phillips. I did a search and it turned to be an f'ing internet hoax, thank God for that.

Since it was my daughter who told my wife I gave my princess a nasty speech about spreading stuff like that without knowing the source. She is a college student for crying out loud. She should know better. She was very apologetic. My wife will believe anything just because is on the internet. But who the heck would start a rumor like this given the present situation? It is a shame people in this country are willing to do that. People truly suck!!!!!!!!

Either way, I coming her, your wife and any other nurse person in the medical treatment profession.
 "I coming her"?

"Africa" is a big ass continent, with a wide range of societies. Is he headed to Liberia? Bad idea. South Africa? Travel on. 
Commend. Damn autocorrect

You've got to be kidding me... the President is appointing a political hack with no medical or public health expertise to be his "Ebola Czar". Meanwhile there is no confirmed Surgeon General, who ought to be filling this role, and Obama's nominee for that post is almost universally viewed as not qualified. The SG is not only a position that is supposed to coordinate all federal agencies in their response to health crises, but is also the commanding officer of one of the seven uniformed US services - the Public Health Service - which could be utilized to do many things in this situation, and even be militarized, to ensure all of its 6700 officers are available to respond. There's an acting SG, a very respected and capable officer who rose through the ranks to earn his stars, but he is deferring to CDC in light of not being confirmed and having the blessing of the president.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/10/17/were-getting-an-ebola-czar-we-need-a-surgeon-general/

Back