Ebola is here, Dallas, Texas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should understand that there has been a panic here in this country over it
Really? Have you seen a panic? I mean, turn the TV off and look around the grocery store, the office, the park, the city streets, the library, the schools, the arenas full of football fans, and concert venues. Look around those places. Now tell me, where is this panic? Now go turn on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, blah, blah, blah, blah. Okay, I see the panic now.

But regardless, do you know what the chances of you getting Ebola because someone rode their bike in front of your house is? I can tell you what they are... NONE, because with Ebola, you aren't really infectious until you are SHOW SYMPTOMS.
True and despite what you think, before you started yelling here I already knew that so you can stop yelling like you teaching me a lesson. It's the blatant defiance. The "F-you! I'm gonna do what I want" attitude because she somehow deserves it.

So tell me, how does this differ from a scenario were bail is not set for someone who is awaiting a trial? On one hand you have the judge determining that the defendant is possibly a flight risk or a threat to society. Even though that person is a citizen with rights, and due a fair trial, the judge has to make a determination with everyone's best interests at hand until the trail have been concluded where that person will be found innocent or guilty. Well, in this instance, the judge is played by government, local or state, the defendant is the nurse and the trial is the incubation period.

should understand that there has been a panic here in this country over it
Really? Have you seen a panic? I mean, turn the TV off and look around the grocery store, the office, the park, the city streets, the library, the schools, the arenas full of football fans, and concert venues. Look around those places. Now tell me, where is this panic? Now go turn on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, blah, blah, blah, blah. Okay, I see the panic now.
You should do this anyways.

But regardless, do you know what the chances of you getting Ebola because someone rode their bike in front of your house is? I can tell you what they are... NONE, because with Ebola, you aren't really infectious until you are SHOW SYMPTOMS.
True and despite what you think, before you started yelling here I already knew that so you can stop yelling like you teaching me a lesson. It's the blatant defiance. The "F-you! I'm gonna do what I want" attitude because she somehow deserves it.

So tell me, how does this differ from a scenario were bail is not set for someone who is awaiting a trial? On one hand you have the judge determining that the defendant is possibly a flight risk or a threat to society. Even though that person is a citizen with rights, and due a fair trial, the judge has to make a determination with everyone's best interests at hand until the trail have been concluded where that person will be found innocent or guilty. Well, in this instance, the judge is played by government, local or state, the defendant is the nurse and the trial is the incubation period.
Bail on somebody who is a flight risk and dangerous = somebody who is truly a risk to society.

Quarantine of somebody who is not symptomatic, and even if becomes symptomatic is wholly unlikely to actually endanger anybody does not = somebody who is truly a risk to society.

So a healthcare worker should be treated as someone arrested for a crime?

So a healthcare worker should be treated as someone arrested for a crime?
not saying that nor did. I am saying that I agree with the additional measures to quarantine anyone returning from regions where Ebola is running rampant. I would expect that health care workers, especially those on the front line would understand this. So are you saying that placing more strict requirements is completely unnecessary?

I agree. The media sucks. Horribly sucks and is mostly to blame for the spread of fear in this situation or any but that is part of the world we live in now. I also understand that fluid to fluid contact is the only way to spread this. But I ask, have you ever gone out with a cold, maybe felt feverish? Ever had a cut on your body that you didn't put a band aid on? I get the odds are reduced, but it is still a possibility.

I can see both sides of the argument, but you have to realize too that there are other diseases these people deal with that are just as bad but much more dangerous. You just don't know about it because the talking heads aren't talking about it. Something as seemingly insignificant as the flu is transmitted much more easily and can kill just as well as ebola can, but are we calling for all healthcare workers to be quarantined who treated flu patients?

The only reason ebola is getting the attention is because it's not as common. I can guarantee that 6 months from now this thread will be long forgotten, as will the uproar about it. Can anyone say swine flu?

What about the office worker who doesn't quite feel so good, but still goes to work?

Then there are people like me who are simply carriers. I can develop a case of the sniffles and a slight headache, but two days later my wife and a few coworkers are home with severe colds. Should I be perma-quarantined?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the office worker who doesn't quite feel so good, but still goes to work?
I hate that person. I Hate the person that refuses to cover themselves. Any place that I go where I have the ability to put my kids in their nursery where other parents, I will refer to them as highly inconsiderate, also put their sneezy, nunning nose coughing kids their. next thing mine are sick. I hate, hate, hate this.

Then there are people like me who are simply carriers. I can develop a case of the sniffles and a slight headache, but two days later my wife and a few coworkers are home with severe colds. Should I be perma-quarantined?
Yes, but for other reasons and it might not as much be considered "quarantined" as incarcerated. And again, for other reasons

The flu has a 95% mortality rate? :huh:

Seems like apples to oranges with comparing that to Ebola.

The "F-you! I'm gonna do what I want" attitude because she somehow deserves it.

She does deserve it, hence it's a right, not a privilege or entitlement. In our country quarantines fall under the federal government and while I'm usually Mrs. State Rights and Power Woman, this is a situation where the federal government has stepped in in the past and established it's procedures, we need to follow them.

And along Dex's line of thinking, should everyone who has HIV, Hepatitis, or any of the other infectious diseases spread by human body fluids should be locked in their houses too? I realize that Ebola can be spread through saliva while many other can't but where do you draw the line.

EDIT- I used italics this time to emphasis my words rather than caps so you wouldn't think I was yelling.

I think some of the quarantine regulations may be a knee-jerk response, but I agree with NJ that her attitude is really irritating.

The flu has a 95% mortality rate? :huh:

Seems like apples to oranges with comparing that to Ebola.
Change it to HIV then.

As a society we have prosecuted people who knowingly infect others, but we do not regulate the infected.

which article said the flu has a 95% mortality rate?

Ebola so far is 50%- which is pretty steep.. My main concern is for people in healthcare and their families, they will be the first ones to catch this and die, the rest of you clowns are probably pretty safe..

My main concern is for people in healthcare and their families, they will be the first ones to catch this and die, the rest of you clowns are probably pretty safe..

I actually don't disagree with you here... people usually only go to the doctors when they are showing symptoms so there is an increased risk

Back