Do you tithe 10%

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Much do you Tithe?

• 10%

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 5%

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <$100 month

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • >$100 month

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • >$500 month

Votes: 3 7.9%

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
They cannot and will not tell. They will suggest highly that the person turn themselves in, but a priest can't go to the authorities with info gained in reconciliation.

I have to admit, I find that disturbing. Maybe their soul is fine, but justice has not been served. Or is part of the penance that they turn themselves in and until they do they aren't truly sorry? I still think that is crap.

To me, it sounds like the priest becomes an accessory to the crime. So is there some special exception for clergy in this case, or is the priest just willing to go to prison to protect the confessee?

To me, it sounds like the priest becomes an accessory to the crime. So is there some special exception for clergy in this case, or is the priest just willing to go to prison to protect the confessee?

I think it is hearsay.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0059.html

You're assuming that a large number of murderers are confessing and just going about their business. I have no idea what the numbers of that would be, but it seems like the percentages would be low:

Total number of murderers who aren't caught

Total number of Catholic murderers/those using confession as a means of forgiveness

Total number of Catholic murderers who confess the crime as a sin, but don't confess it as a crime

No doubt there is a number of crimes told in the confessional booth outside of murder. It's been a long time since I've received a "4 Hail Marys" kind of penance...they are much more soul searching and character building. I imagine a person confessing to rape is steered towards more than just absolution.

They cannot and will not tell. They will suggest highly that the person turn themselves in, but a priest can't go to the authorities with info gained in reconciliation.

Yup. The authorities also can't listen in to confessions done in courthouses and other routinely monitored locations; it's considered privileged, and yes it's on a different level than standard therapists etc due to the religious nature (1st Amendment; if the religion says it's protected, it's protected). And I think it's good this way; better that they talk about it rather than letting it fester, and maybe the Priest will convince them to give themselves up.

Yup. The authorities also can't listen in to confessions done in courthouses and other routinely monitored locations; it's considered privileged, and yes it's on a different level than standard therapists etc due to the religious nature (1st Amendment; if the religion says it's protected, it's protected). And I think it's good this way; better that they talk about it rather than letting it fester, and maybe the Priest will convince them to give themselves up.

Sounds like a terrible idea to me. As a lay person, I'm expected to report a crime if someone tells me they committed it if I want to avoid being an accessory after the fact. What is it about a clergy person that makes them above the law? Sounds like a process ripe for abuse, and obviously churches aren't immune from abusing power. Heck I could go get ordained online in about 5 minutes, does that mean I could then go conspire with others to commit crimes and all those communications are privileged?

Sounds like a terrible idea to me. As a lay person, I'm expected to report a crime if someone tells me they committed it if I want to avoid being an accessory after the fact. What is it about a clergy person that makes them above the law? Sounds like a process ripe for abuse, and obviously churches aren't immune from abusing power. Heck I could go get ordained online in about 5 minutes, does that mean I could then go conspire with others to commit crimes and all those communications are privileged?

^Lol I think you're reading waay too much into this:

FWIW, from wiki, priest-penitent privilege:

The First Amendment is largely cited as the jurisprudential basis. The earliest and most influential case acknowledging the priest–penitent privilege was People v. Phillips, where the Court of General Sessions of the City of New York refused to compel a priest to testify. The Court opined:

It is essential to the free exercise of a religion, that its ordinances should be administered—that its ceremonies as well as its essentials should be protected. Secrecy is of the essence of penance. The sinner will not confess, nor will the priest receive his confession, if the veil of secrecy is removed: To decide that the minister shall promulgate what he receives in confession, is to declare that there shall be no penance...

A few years after Phillips was decided, People v. Smith distinguished the case on the grounds that the defendant had approached the minister as a "friend or adviser," not in his capacity as a professional or spiritual advisor. As with most privileges, a debate still exists about the circumstances under which the priest-penitent privilege applies. The capacity in which the clergyman is acting at the time of the communication is relevant in many jurisdictions.

As a lay person, I'm expected to report a crime if someone tells me they committed it if I want to avoid being an accessory after the fact.

I think just knowing about it and not saying anything to the authorities is called misprisionment of a felony, or something like that. Accessory after the fact means you did something to cover up the crime, like dispose of evidence.

Go ahead and tithe a little more... :poking:

10501935_891738307567322_5371317040824459558_n.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the Vatican snapped it up for a song (hymn?). Good on them.

We've got good investments. They are renovating the whole thing. It's a gigantic building.

I'm leaning more towards tax everyone. Tax it all.

Back