Do you tithe 10%

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Much do you Tithe?

• 10%

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 5%

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <$100 month

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • >$100 month

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • >$500 month

Votes: 3 7.9%

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
Our total sales tax is 6% (4%state, 2%local) and our property tax percentage is 9.5% assessment ratio to 76 mills (so tax on our $188,000 house is $1357.36).

And deducting sales tax was included in last year's fun-o-rama of entering mortgage, charity, child care, taxes...

Sales tax tends to be a lot less overall than income tax.

I'm paying 4.35% state income tax, 1% local income tax, 6% sales tax and 43 mills on 50% of assessed value (to convert to a standard value, csb is paying 7.2 mills on 100% assessed value while I'm paying 21.5).

csb, I think it's safe to say you live in a low-tax state, so therefore you don't have as many federal tax deductions.

I used to go to a Baptist church where the pastor constantly talked about tithing and giving more. It wore me out! We have since found a non-denominational church where tithing still goes on, but is rarely if ever talked about. I feel like this is the right approach for churches and will lead to more members and therefore more tithes. Our church is pretty large and has opened up other locations and additional service times. We do not tithe 10% and typically give $10-20 each time we go.

csb, I think it's safe to say you live in a low-tax state, so therefore you don't have as many federal tax deductions.

SC's the same way, and our mortgage interest is low. Itemized is maybe 50% of the standard deduction.

I used to go to a Baptist church where the pastor constantly talked about tithing and giving more. It wore me out! We have since found a non-denominational church where tithing still goes on, but is rarely if ever talked about. I feel like this is the right approach for churches and will lead to more members and therefore more tithes. Our church is pretty large and has opened up other locations and additional service times. We do not tithe 10% and typically give $10-20 each time we go.
Please do not lump all Baptist in this category. I'm a Christian and I attend a Baptist Church. I've been in both scenarios you mention (both in Baptist churches). A good pastor will realize that tithing is a relationship matter between man and God. He will teach what the Word says on the subject and then moves on.

An inexperienced or cranky old pastor will (perhaps unintentionally) guilt people into giving. This does not work, especially long term.

The Bible says to give a tenth of your increase to your local church. If you are not a member of the church, you need to examine why you're not a member before you worry about giving to it.

If you can't or don't feel good about it, pray about what you can do but don't give out of guilt.

I believe the Biblical verses on tithing (when read in context), say the blessing comes from cheerful giving.

Last edited by a moderator:

SC's the same way, and our mortgage interest is low. Itemized is maybe 50% of the standard deduction.

Aw yeah, bitches!

(Sorry, it just felt like I needed to yell that for some reason.)

Please do not lump all Baptist in this category. I'm a Christian and I attend a Baptist Church. I've been in both scenarios you mention (both in Baptist churches). A good pastor will realize that tithing is a relationship matter between man and God. He will teach what the Word says on the subject and then moves on.

An inexperienced or cranky old pastor will (perhaps unintentionally) guilt people into giving. This does not work, especially long term.

The Bible says to give a tenth of your increase to your local church. If your not a member of the church, you need to examine why you're not a member before you worry about giving to it.

If you can't or don't feel good about it, pray about what you can do but don't give out of guilt.

I believe the Biblical verses on tithing (when read in context), say the blessing comes from cheerful giving.
well put.

Back