Deadliest Catch

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^It's also not like they'll be in demand for product endorsements for the long term. Once the series runs its course, they'll be back to their normal lives.

The Hilstrand's are becoming total assholes. I used to like those guys. They were fun and successful and it seemed like the crew was generally pretty jovial. Now they just seem bitter and nasty. Keith is no saint, and has always come across as prickly, but him calling the Time Bandit to sort things out was a nice move, and they totally dicked him.
Speaking of which, have you seen they're doing Gieco commercials now. That's pretty gay. Almost as gay as the video game the Hansen clan was advertising for a couple years ago. I guess money talks.
they gotta make that fatty money somehow. Is it coincidence that they are in Alaska? :dunno:

I know if I were in their position and someone was offering to pay me to be in a commercial I'd do it. It seems a much easier way to make a buck then what they currently do.
If I was in any position and someone offered to pay me for a commercial, I'd do it.

although the deckhand stripping down to his skivies and fell when trying to throw the hook was quite amusing. It's just a butt and aired later in the evening, not quite sure why they need to blur the shot
I, for one, don't feel all that up in arms that we didn't get to see some sailor's butt.

According to Wikipedia, next week's the week...

82 "The Darkened Seas" June 15, 2010 (2010-06-15) The fate of the fallen deckhand and the Coast Guard helicopter sent to medevac him hang in the balance in a bad storm. The Time Bandit hits record numbers on their new grounds, but the ice hits back. The Cornelia Marie finishes their crabbing at the Rock Pile and heads to Saint Paul, where Captain Phil's fate is awaiting.
The way they played up the "I don't know how much longer I'll be around" talk from Phil, followed by Jake not taking well to the news on the radio of someone on another boat having a heart attack, and the fact that After the Catch starts next week and the first episode will be about remebering Phil was a pretty good giveaway anyway though.

According to Wikipedia, next week's the week...

82 "The Darkened Seas" June 15, 2010 (2010-06-15) The fate of the fallen deckhand and the Coast Guard helicopter sent to medevac him hang in the balance in a bad storm. The Time Bandit hits record numbers on their new grounds, but the ice hits back. The Cornelia Marie finishes their crabbing at the Rock Pile and heads to Saint Paul, where Captain Phil's fate is awaiting.
The way they played up the "I don't know how much longer I'll be around" talk from Phil, followed by Jake not taking well to the news on the radio of someone on another boat having a heart attack, and the fact that After the Catch starts next week and the first episode will be about remebering Phil was a pretty good giveaway anyway though.
The editing monkeys are really playing up the Phil foreshadowing this season. The end of this week's episode had me nearly in tears, but I liked the scene with Phil and Jake. It seemed like Phil knew he was on borrowed time after the clot and he knew that being out on the boat could kill him - but then again, so could puttering around in his backyard. In a way it's nice to know that he went doing what he loved.

Incidentally, the Coast Guard medevac from the deckhand on the Alaskan Leader happened on February 4th - after Phil had his stroke (January 29th) and was in the hospital in Anchorage. Whatever they were reacting to/hearing on the radio in this week's episode, it was not the medevac from the Alaskan Leader as the show made it appear. It's like they don't realize that the Coast Guard makes press releases on these things...

The Hansens and Phil have always been my favorites on this show. I'm going to miss the Cornelia Marie next season...especially if it means more Hillstrand/Douche Bandit antics on my TV screen.

:eek:rlyflag:

I didn't know they were tinkering around with the course of those events. So the Alaskan Leader thing happened after Cap'n Phil's stroke? So the man in distress over the radio was someone different.

I had class Tuesday night and taped this episode. I'm gonna go back and re-watch the last 15 minutes this weekend. I coulda sworn in the radio call they mentioned the Kodiak, rather than the AL.

I think this season has had some cooked up drama, more so than in the past. The Keith-Jonathan hissy fit, and the Jakes in the survivals suits were over the top.

And yeah, I've had enough of the Turd Bandit.

Aww fuckbeans.

By Matthew Belloni Matthew Belloni – Wed Sep 29, 5:11 am ETLOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – A trio of stars of Discovery's hit reality series "Deadliest Catch" have left the show.

Capts. Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand -- who were sued earlier this month by Discovery for allegedly not performing work on a planned spinoff special -- as well as Capt. Sig Hansen, said in a statement Tuesday that they were "unable" to continue on the series due to the litigation.

"We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in 'Deadliest Catch,'" the three crab fishermen said in a joint written statement. "It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive 'Catch' fans we have met over the years."

A statement from Discovery was not forthcoming.

The network sued the Hillstrands for $3 million claiming they failed to show up to finish work on "Hillstranded," a planned "Catch" spinoff. The Hillstrands' lawyer Jeff Cohen then called the suit an attempt to "extort" his clients and said the lawsuit could force them to sell their boats and fire their crews. Hansen, also repped by Cohen, later weighed in, backing the Hillstrands, slamming Discovery and saying, "I want people to know the captains stand together, and me and my brothers support them 100 percent."

Hansen, captain of the Northwestern, has been a fixture on "Catch" since its first season premiered in 2005. The Hillstrands, captains of the Time Bandit, joined in Season 2. Filming on the seventh season of the Emmy-nominated series is scheduled to begin as crab season starts in October. But barring any reconciliation, it now appears the show will be down three captains (in addition to Capt. Phil Harris, who died earlier this year).

Awesome! Now the show can be hour long episodes of Keith looking for his spittoon.

^Absolutely riveting television right there.

I'm sure there are a few boats out there who would mind the extra Discovery money, but isn't it getting a little tight on time at this point? The king crab fleet ships out in October.

Well, DC always ran into the programming time of The Biggest Loser, so now I guess we won't be swapping channels at commercials. I wish that the two networks would just make one show called "The Deadliest Loser" or something.

Well, DC always ran into the programming time of The Biggest Loser, so now I guess we won't be swapping channels at commercials. I wish that the two networks would just make one show called "The Deadliest Loser" or something.
Multiple-tuner DVR's are fantastic inventions. I haven't had to worry about shows overlapping in years.

It's especially handy during football season, I can record three games at once! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Good riddance to the Time Bandit. The Hillstrands were annoying as shit anyway...I can't believe they were going to get their own show.

Sig and the Northwestern will be sorely missed too. I wonder if the Cornelia Marie will sail this year with a Harris in the captain's chair. If so, I may watch parts of the season. If both the Northwestern and Cornelia are gone, so am I.

Good riddance to the Time Bandit. The Hillstrands were annoying as shit anyway...I can't believe they were going to get their own show.
Sig and the Northwestern will be sorely missed too.
I wouldn't care if the Time Bandit were gone, most of their "drama" seem contrived anyway. It sucks that they dragged the Northwestern along with them though. :(

The crazy thing is that the Time Bandit seemed to be the boat that was profiting of the show the most. I have seen Andy and Jonathan in multiple commercials. I'm sure other boats were profiting off the show in other ways, but the Time Bandit was certainly the most visible, so it's strange that they would be the boat to cause it all to fall apart.

Sig and the Northwestern will be sorely missed too. I wonder if the Cornelia Marie will sail this year with a Harris in the captain's chair. If so, I may watch parts of the season. If both the Northwestern and Cornelia are gone, so am I.
i doubt a harris boy will be in the chair for this new season. Neither were certified, thats why they had to find a captain to finish the season. They even stated that during the show. perhaps next season.

Sigs bro was thinking about leaving the industry to spend time with his family. Sig might be using the hillstrands as an excuse to avoid the potential embarassment of breaking in a new deckboss on tv...image control.

I may watch the first episode just out of curiosity. However, this may be my reason to reduce my non-NFL or NASCAR viewing to zilch.

i doubt a harris boy will be in the chair for this new season. Neither were certified, thats why they had to find a captain to finish the season. They even stated that during the show. perhaps next season.
I can see Josh as deckboss, or relief skipper, but yeah you're right, they were in a big pickle at one point because they had no qualified captain to take them out to sea and had to scramble for one midseason.

They may have a season, but part of the intrigue of the show was following these guys around for years and years and 'getting to know them.'

Not so sure I'm interested in meeting Cap'n Plophat and crew of the Whizbang.

Bummer. I don't know the details, but that sounds pretty shitty of Discovery to sue some of their most popular captains, people who are NOT professional entertainers. Discovery started all of this, IMO they need to be extra-understanding of the fact that these are real people.

Bummer. I don't know the details, but that sounds pretty shitty of Discovery to sue some of their most popular captains, people who are NOT professional entertainers. Discovery started all of this, IMO they need to be extra-understanding of the fact that these are real people.
I'll hold judgment. As stated above, the Time Bandit whored themselves out more than any other boat, having shirts made and all like that. They've made a LOT of money off of this show. It seems as though they were obligated to do this other show, and then decided "no, I don't want to do it". Well, how much did it cost Discovery to revise their programming schedule, and find a show to fill that slot? Did the sponsors pull out after they found out it wasn't a Deadliest Catch spin off, but Mike Rowe in another show telling cow fart jokes? I don't know the details, but depending on how and when this was handled, it very well could have cost Discovery millions.

It's a bad situation all around.

Back