Deadliest Catch

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't caught this show yet ... might have to add it to potential watch list even at least just once.

JR

The first half of the first episode was okay. The new opening is much better. I liked the fact that the Capt. Phil and Capt. Sig made the trade with the deckhands. I also really want to see the Time Bandit booted from the show. That was pretty low when Johnathan Hillstrand pushed Keith Colburn over with a cheap shot. And Johnathan went after his brother too. I don't like the drama, and the Hillstrands are just a bunch of drama queens. I hope the show is going to dump the Time Bandit for that new boat, Kodiak. That boat looks pretty good.

The last half of the show sucked, another sunken cod boat, and an overly dramatized rescue 3 miles from shore, they didn't need ot devote a whole 30 minutes to that crap. Get back to the crabbin, that's why I watch the show.

I also really want to see the Time Bandit booted from the show. That was pretty low when Johnathan Hillstrand pushed Keith Colburn over with a cheap shot. And Johnathan went after his brother too. I don't like the drama, and the Hillstrands are just a bunch of drama queens. I hope the show is going to dump the Time Bandit for that new boat, Kodiak. That boat looks pretty good.
I have always gotten the impression that Keith is not well liked among the other captains. He seems like kind of a jerk. How many greenhorns did he say he's been through? Four or Five? There has got to be a reason they burn through deckhands so fast. The one episode where he wouldn't leave port without his spittoon was just asinine. Last season Captain Phil wanted to tear Keith a new one for setting his pot's on top of Phil's. During that episode Phil alluded to other incidents that had strained their relationship.

And the sucker punch wasn't much of a sucker punch. Keith got in Jonathan's face after Jonathan said Keith almost killed his brother last season (the tarp incident). Jonathan shoved him backwards. If you are going to get up in someone's face you've got to expect them to react. I think Keith is the drama llama, not the Hillstrands.

I thought it was pretty good, the drama around Keith and John was sappy I agree.

I think they included the cod boat sinking because, well, no one was catching anything. The seas were quiet, the weather was nice, and little was going on.

I'm not sure where the deckhand exchange is going, it seems strange. Maybe Phil is wanting his son to be on another boat in case something "happens" this season?

The Kodiak (Wild Bill) could be hit or miss. He seems to have some overly cocky deckhands and in the first episode they dropped a pot over the side due to piss poor knots. It could be gold mine or be a huge dud, I don't think there is a in-between for them.

Maybe I'm cynical, but do the incident at the captain's burn barrel and the trading of the Jakes seem a little made-for-tv by Discovery?

That being said, I think the trade makes sense. It seems like Jake Harris (but not Josh) and Jake Andersen are ambitious young fisherman who are going to be lifers. A little seasoning on another boat, and a little ego smackdown, can't hurt.

Keith doesn't seem to have many friends. He's clashed with other captain before. Some of the promos for this season cast him as the odd man out of the captain's boys club. "I wasn't born into fishing..."

I liked the raw footage of the boat responding to the pon pon.

Russell sure gets around the fleet doesn't he?

regardless if it was a tv stunt or a real idea getting those two boys to switch boats for the season is probably the best thing for their fishing career, it gets them out of the shadow of family and will hopefully show if they truely have the fishing skills they need to eventually run a boat.

Maybe you're right about Colburn, but if someone accused me of trying to kill my brother I'd get in his face too, but in that kind of forum to have someone push you down like that, it's unacceptable. I really don't like the Time Bandit, especially the way Johnathan went off on Mike at the end of last season, and then fired Russel the way they did. They didn't even man up to it either, they gave him a list and took the wimp way out. If you're going to fire someone, then fire someone, don't be a bitch about it. Then in the Best of Season 5, Johnathan and Andy made fun of Russel for getting fired from the Wizard.

I still like the Northwestern and the Cornelia Marie the best, I think they needed a change in the show, although with Capt. Phil dying I think they are going to get that regardless.

Are the going to show it again? I missed it.

Also...A quick summary about Season 5? Please?

The death of Captain Phil will bring more people to see the show. I guess.

They didn't even man up to it either, they gave him a list and took the wimp way out. If you're going to fire someone, then fire someone, don't be a bitch about it.
Russel seemed like last year that he thought he had special privleges aboard the TB as a long term deckhand, and milked it. But the way they laid him off was a pussy ass move, especially from big macho men as they proclaim to be. Though the Kodiak captain is a pal of the Hillstrands, so maybe they put in a good word for him.

I still like the Northwestern and the Cornelia Marie the best, I think they needed a change in the show, although with Capt. Phil dying I think they are going to get that regardless.
I think a lot of that depends on what the Harris boys do. If they come back, that's a compelling storyline. Phil's gone, Murray's gone, if Jake and Josh leave, it may as well be a whole different boat without our heroes to root for. Also, Phil's business partner, the boat's namesake, may have something to do with it.

In case anyone missed it, the cap's (except for Wild Bill) were on Larry king Live last night.

I didn't watch it, they all seemed chipper and buddy-like when I stopped for a minute though.

Did anyone watch the show last night. I lost all respect for the Hillstrand boys. Capt. Keith tried to apologize for whatever ill will there was and the Hillstrands weren't having any part of it.

The show is pretty lackluster this season. I'm definitely losing interest. The thing with the Kodiak is kind of interesting, since they suck so bad.

They kind of glossed over the entire King crab season, there must be something good coming in the Opelio season that they're going to devote more time to.

Yeah, this season is a little on the blah side. I used to like the Hillstrands and Time Bandit, but the shear audacity of refusing any sort of apology is weaksauce. It's not like he googled his wife or anything. The show is starting to mirror Housewives of Orange County.

boring these past few weeks, but they have had decent weather too so no high tension situations. Although almost sinking your boat thanks to a bunch of onions is quite a site.

I've enjoyed the episodes so far this year. Swapping the Jake's on the Northwestern & Cornelia Marie was pretty interesting, and floating them back to their respective boats was interesting. I thought it was funny that as soon as Jake Harris was back on the Cornelia Marie he was back to bickering with his brother Josh. Maybe they need to swap the Jake's permanently.

It doesn't seem like the King Crab season usually has much excitement to offer. I know the weather isn't great for King Crab, but it seems a whole lot worse for Opelio season with the boats icing and dealing with the ice pack covering the fishing grounds. I think the Opelio grounds are further north and it's in the dead of winter, where the King Crab season is late Fall and further south.

Reading between the lines with the Hillstrands and Keith, it seems like there is more between them than this one incident. I don't see what the problem is with Jonathan not wanting to "be friends" with Keith. That's his business. It's not like he said he was going to do Keith, his boat, or his equipment any harm, he just doesn't want anything to do with him anymore I don't see a problem with that. Keith comes off as a whinny baby IMO wanting to patch things up so their are no hard feelings. Apparently their are hard feelings, so leave it alone and quit being such a bitch.

It sounds like they are trying too much to fabricate drama these days. I'm glad I'm not invested in watching new episodes. I must give them kudos though...they lasted more seasons than Ice Road Truckers or that show about loggers before they started fabricating story lines.

We were thoroughly turned off by last night's episode.

Swapping the Jakes in the middle of the Bering Sea wreaked of a Discovery Channel plot device. They've spent years establishing the going into the Bering Sea = death, and yet last night they just floated deckhands over it. Bizzare. Why can't they just swap them the next time they are in Dtuch or St. Paul or Akutan?

The Hilstrand's are becoming total assholes. I used to like those guys. They were fun and successful and it seemed like the crew was generally pretty jovial. Now they just seem bitter and nasty. Keith is no saint, and has always come across as prickly, but him calling the Time Bandit to sort things out was a nice move, and they totally dicked him.

The King season seems like manufactured drama to me. It's disappointing. I know the show revolves around real life drama, and if there isn't much of it, Discovery has to fluff it up a bit.

Opilio season will obviously have the worst kept secret ever, and I'm looking forward to watching it, but last night may have been the shark jumping moment for the show as far as I'm concerned. We'll see.

We were thoroughly turned off by last night's episode.
Swapping the Jakes in the middle of the Bering Sea wreaked of a Discovery Channel plot device. They've spent years establishing the going into the Bering Sea = death, and yet last night they just floated deckhands over it. Bizzare. Why can't they just swap them the next time they are in Dtuch or St. Paul or Akutan?
Seemed like a stupid thing to do to me as well.

The Hilstrand's are becoming total assholes. I used to like those guys. They were fun and successful and it seemed like the crew was generally pretty jovial. Now they just seem bitter and nasty. Keith is no saint, and has always come across as prickly, but him calling the Time Bandit to sort things out was a nice move, and they totally dicked him.
Speaking of which, have you seen they're doing Gieco commercials now. That's pretty gay. Almost as gay as the video game the Hansen clan was advertising for a couple years ago. I guess money talks.

although the deckhand stripping down to his skivies and fell when trying to throw the hook was quite amusing. It's just a butt and aired later in the evening, not quite sure why they need to blur the shot

Speaking of which, have you seen they're doing Gieco commercials now. That's pretty gay. Almost as gay as the video game the Hansen clan was advertising for a couple years ago. I guess money talks.
they gotta make that fatty money somehow. Is it coincidence that they are in Alaska? :dunno:

I know if I were in their position and someone was offering to pay me to be in a commercial I'd do it. It seems a much easier way to make a buck then what they currently do.

Back