Deadliest Catch

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems as though they were obligated to do this other show, and then decided "no, I don't want to do it".
Sounds like they filmed much of the spin off show already, the Hilstrands just couldn't or wouldn't make time to participate in the final editing of the program.

The network sued the Hillstrand brothers for $3 million, claiming they failed to come through on their promise to shoot a spin-off special, Hillstranded. Cameras rolled during business hours, but Discovery says the crab catchers didn't make time to record voiceovers and otherwise take part in what was needed to round out the production.
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b202929_de...luding_sig.html

There are two sides to every story, I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around. What I am most disappointed in is that the Hillstrands dragged the Hansons into this. I wouldn't care if the Time Bandit weren't part of the next season, but to lose the Northwestern makes the show a little less interesting in my opinion.

I'm sure the show can pick up a few more boats to film. The show started out covering a lot more than the 4 or 5 boats they primarily covered last season. I bet there are plenty of other captains that are jumping at the chance to put a little more money in their pockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good riddance to the Time Bandit. The Hillstrands were annoying as shit anyway...I can't believe they were going to get their own show.
Sig and the Northwestern will be sorely missed too. I wonder if the Cornelia Marie will sail this year with a Harris in the captain's chair. If so, I may watch parts of the season. If both the Northwestern and Cornelia are gone, so am I.
This about sums up my feelings...

Sounds like they filmed much of the spin off show already, the Hilstrands just couldn't or wouldn't make time to participate in the final editing of the program.
So, Discovery has hours of footage they most likely can't use? Yeah, I can absolutely see this as Discovery simply trying to recoup their losses. As you said though, there are two sides to every story.

You're right about the Northwestern though. If you take away Captain Phil (RIP) and the Northwestern, this show is going to struggle to maintain it's viewers. Keith is a turd, and bringing in that many new ships will be hard to keep an audience.

I predict this being the final season unless they bring in one heckuva personality on one of the new boats.

well both boats are back on the show and signed for 2 more seasons. Apparently pickup shoots for hillstranded conflicted with a speaking tour timebandit and northwestern were doing. lawyers talked and all is well.

actually...that's good. It MAY have been OK if they got new boats, but it seems to me that I feel like I struggle getting to know new players on shows like that, and lose interest. Maybe it's just me.

I lose interest once they become celebrities. I enjoyed it for the first 2 seasons because it was real. Maybe it's still real (the dangers sure are), but honestly I haven't watched since Season 3, so I really can't say.

well both boats are back on the show and signed for 2 more seasons. Apparently pickup shoots for hillstranded conflicted with a speaking tour timebandit and northwestern were doing. lawyers talked and all is well.
Woo hoo! Kind of, I love the fact that the show will go on, but the Hillstrands have pissed me off the last couple years, they come off as real jerks.

Woo hoo! Kind of, I love the fact that the show will go on, but the Hillstrands have pissed me off the last couple years, they come off as real jerks.
I'm more disappointed with the obvious Geico plugs they insert into the show. They're busy selling out while their guys are on deck doing the real work that got the show where it is.

the sad reality is these guys live hard and die young, whether or not it's the ocean that does them in.

I really wonder how many of these guys live to see 60 (or even 50 for that matter).

They work hard and party harder.

A lot of these guys seems to end up on the docks because it's their last chance. They seem like they're either broke/got a criminal record, or both. The rate of substance abuse seems to be high.

I'm amazed to hear some guys work on a boat on deck for 20-30 years. 24 hour shifts of hard labor has to take its toll, assuming you don't get mauled, crushed, thrown overboard, sunk, etc. first.

When you work non-stop for a few months and then get a big lump sum paycheck I can see why they would go out and party. I guess this guy over did it. A lot of these guys dont seem to be the brightest bulbs in the bunch anyway so Im surprised this doesnt happen more.

sad when still so young. the yahoo article didn'y include the snippet about the cornelia marie like others did. In nov, one month after crabbing season started, the new capt called in the cops to search the boat for drugs. Phils younger son's stint in rehab didn't work, he was abusing prescription meds again while at sea.

I'm glad to see the no nonsense approach by the new captain.

I lose interest once they become celebrities. I enjoyed it for the first 2 seasons because it was real. Maybe it's still real (the dangers sure are), but honestly I haven't watched since Season 3, so I really can't say.

same here, i couldnt get into the last season and a half

really? I thought it was the 19th?

Huh, it is the 12th. Guess I should have been wearing my glasses.

Latest posts

Back