Cut Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audi driver said:
On 11/4/2016 at 2:44 PM, Audi driver, P.E. said: So you believe it should be all or nothing?  On what basis?
Yep, should be nothing or all. Is there a cut score for the driver's test?
I think the drivers test has a passing percentage,if I remember correctly, which is pretty much a cut score. A point which determines pass v fail

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Results tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the cut score range was for the October 2015 exam?  I know that each test is different, but you would think that the cut scores would be similar to that exam, if in fact the October exams are generally harder.
i posted many cut scores over the last few years.  Search and find you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here on both points.  They said over 1500 people were taking the test this time.  Compare that against the 621, or so, who took the test in April.  Would assume/hope that people 1-3 years out of school would do worse than those with more experience, improving the curve. 

I'm at ~6.5 years in industry, but figured I'd worry about writing the SER and getting my references to submit the paperwork after the test.  
Honestly I have my doubts it will pan out that way.  For every question that my experience made me confident about there was one on a subject I hadn't messed with (outside of test prep) since I saw it in school 6-8 years ago.  Students have the advantage of recent, comprehensive exposure to such a diverse breadth of engineering topics that few in the industry get, combined with the fact that studying and test-taking are skills that for most people are at their peak at the tail-end of school.

I know who will pass and who won't.

So, you had to get all the questions correct?
What I mean by a cut score is that there's no absolute correct solution set and that the passing score has to be determined based on how others perform. For that reason, it is not a real test.

What I mean by a cut score is that there's no absolute correct solution set and that the passing score has to be determined based on how others perform. For that reason, it is not a real test.
I assume at some point you will realize that your own personal definition for cut score is inconsistent with how it actually works.

Back