Cut Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone think that the cut score might be a little lower this time around?  The original poster said 59, but that seems awfully high, and I don't think I will hit that mark.  I took structural depth and I thought it was challenging, though I also didn't manage my time well.  From the April exam, the highest failing score reported was a 52/80.  People seemed to think that the test was easier than this one that was just given.  Unfortunately, I am hovering at around this mark.  Hopefully it is just enough to get by.
I too took structural depth and feel like the highest failing score I heard of was 55. If 53 was passing then I am livid because I got 52 lolllllll [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji90] here's hoping we all got 85/80 this round. You get a pass! You get a pass! Everybody gets a pass!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I too took structural depth and feel like the highest failing score I heard of was 55. If 53 was passing then I am livid because I got 52 lolllllll
emoji24.png
emoji24.png
emoji24.png
emoji90.png
here's hoping we all got 85/80 this round. You get a pass! You get a pass! Everybody gets a pass!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
What is a Tapatalk! (distraction)

Same here on both points.  They said over 1500 people were taking the test this time.  Compare that against the 621, or so, who took the test in April.  Would assume/hope that people 1-3 years out of school would do worse than those with more experience, improving the curve.
There is no curve.  The cut score is designed to pass people who are minimally competent and fail those who are not.  It doesn't matter how many people take the test.  If 1,500 people take it and only 400 meet the standard for minimally competent, then only 400 will pass.

NCEES changed their Model Law to decouple experience from examination in 2013, meaning they support examinees taking it when they feel ready, but licensure still requires the same experience.  The exam has not, and will not, change because of this.  It is entirely possible that inexperienced examinees will have a hard time passing without practical experience - and I think this may be true for some exams more so than for others.

when you get an email from NCEES (which i pronounce neesees) and about die, until you realize it's just the survey email.  :oops:  ps cut score is 10.

On that note, is your screen name pronounced THEE Julie or Thuh Julie? (writing phonetically is patently not my strong suit).
That's a good question. I guess it would be just thuh julie. Dictionary.com says before a consonant it's just thuh. I've never put too much thought into it...but I do remember getting sassy about Ohio State being THE ohio state. So yeah, just thuh. 

Audi driver said:
13 minutes ago, Audi driver, P.E. said: On that note, is your screen name pronounced THEE Julie or Thuh Julie? (writing phonetically is patently not my strong suit).
That's a good question. I guess it would be just thuh julie. Dictionary.com says before a consonant it's just thuh. I've never put too much thought into it...but I do remember getting sassy about Ohio State being THE ohio state. So yeah, just thuh. 
There's a reason for that being the way it is at THE OSU.

1600 Houston Test Takers in Oct. - 621 in April = 979 people with less than the required experience to be a P.E. It is a larger number of newb testers than experienced. That curve is totally being thrown off. Now that is just one location, imagine the entire state of Texas following this trend, which it is. Passing score will be lower, the question is by how much. Are we looking at a record breaking low passing score, like 49/80? What's your guess given the data.

1600 Houston Test Takers in Oct. - 621 in April = 979 people with less than the required experience to be a P.E. It is a larger number of newb testers than experienced. That curve is totally being thrown off. Now that is just one location, imagine the entire state of Texas following this trend, which it is. Passing score will be lower, the question is by how much. Are we looking at a record breaking low passing score, like 49/80? What's your guess given the data.
There is no curve.  As discussed many times, the passing rate is not determined on a curve.  It is determined by the difficulty of the exam, not the intelligence of those taking it.

And by the way,  recent grad usually perform at the same or slightly better  than experienced test takers.  I will look up my source on that one.

Does anyone know what the cut score range was for the October 2015 exam?  I know that each test is different, but you would think that the cut scores would be similar to that exam, if in fact the October exams are generally harder.

Does anyone know what the cut score range was for the October 2015 exam?  I know that each test is different, but you would think that the cut scores would be similar to that exam, if in fact the October exams are generally harder.
My guess is mid 50s for Civil Structural.

There is no curve.  The cut score is designed to pass people who are minimally competent and fail those who are not.  It doesn't matter how many people take the test.  If 1,500 people take it and only 400 meet the standard for minimally competent, then only 400 will pass.

NCEES changed their Model Law to decouple experience from examination in 2013, meaning they support examinees taking it when they feel ready, but licensure still requires the same experience.  The exam has not, and will not, change because of this.  It is entirely possible that inexperienced examinees will have a hard time passing without practical experience - and I think this may be true for some exams more so than for others.
that's not accurate. when i took the test for civil, i had 3 years of experience (minus two working for a power plant, so virtually 1 year) and passed easily

that time everything you needed to know was in the PPI book. as long as you studied from it, you passed. Most of everything i was tested on i never saw again in my professional life. But at least it was in the study material. Unlike the power exam i took.

There is no curve.  As discussed many times, the passing rate is not determined on a curve.  It is determined by the difficulty of the exam, not the intelligence of those taking it.

And by the way,  recent grad usually perform at the same or slightly better  than experienced test takers.  I will look up my source on that one.
the "difficulty" of the exam is inherently dependent on the intelligence of those taking it.

was this post meant to be meaningless fluff?

10 hours ago, glockjacket said: There is no curve.  As discussed many times, the passing rate is not determined on a curve.  It is determined by the difficulty of the exam, not the intelligence of those taking it.
the "difficulty" of the exam is inherently dependent on the intelligence of those taking it.was this post meant to be meaningless fluff?
So, that means that the power PE is only difficult for unintelligent people? Interesting turn of events here.

Back