Cut Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I don't know about other states but for CA they used to post the cut score back in early 2000's. At point the cut score was 48/80 and then it was changed to 70/100. Then they decided to go back to 80 questions but this time bo cut scores were posted. Based on this I can assume that the cut score should be between 60-70 percent. 

There is nothing which we can do now so it is pointless to worry about the cut score. Spend the extra time in the gym to get PE out of mind until mid December. It will help not only those who will pass but also those who might get unlucky and fail to have fresh start.

This is my 3rd attempt in TX.. first was a throw-a-way attempt at CSE and the next two were METF. Looking at my diagnostic sheet

First round I made a grade of 62 by getting 38/80 correct...15 point curve? 

April 2016 I got a 54 with 34/80 correct... 12-13 point curve?

Not sure if that is any indication of a curve/cut score... I just figured I put my two cents in since I seem to be the veteran taking the test (hopefully Oct was the final round!).

This year the cut score will be voted on similar to the pro bowl. All current PE's in good standing (based solely on our interpretation) will be able to vote on what the cut score should be. However their vote will only count 25%.

This year the cut score will be voted on similar to the pro bowl. All current PE's in good standing (based solely on our interpretation) will be able to vote on what the cut score should be. However their vote will only count 25%.
In this case, I will only submit my vote if I can see the signature on the answer sheet. I have seen some embarrassing signatures on some plans and it makes me wonder about their pride in their work. I would not want anyone with a straight line or single loop as a signature becoming a PE for a handful of reasons.

In this case, I will only submit my vote if I can see the signature on the answer sheet. I have seen some embarrassing signatures on some plans and it makes me wonder about their pride in their work. I would not want anyone with a straight line or single loop as a signature becoming a PE for a handful of reasons.
Wait, are we supposed to have a fancy signature? I thought that was for Doctors......   :-/ man... I do not not to work on a signature...... :DV:

NCEES determines this, not individual member boards.

I think they have subject matter experts take the exam and determine its difficulty, then subjectively assign a cut score.  Otherwise pass rates would always be the same, when then aren't. 
Everything I've read from official sources backs this up. They have actual PEs in the area take the test and/or proof the questions beforehand.  And based upon the results of those exams/studies there is a discussion on whether a given question could be answered by an average PE. The number of those questions on the test is essentially the cut score. 

I also know that NCEES works with professional groups to design and proof the test. For instance the ANS PE committee works the nuclear PPE. 

what if there's like...4-ish loops?

what if there's like...4-ish loops?
It it can be easily replicated by someone else - No.

If it does not show a hint of your personality/character - No.

http://atozhandwriting.com/signature-analysis/

Please note, these are not requirements, just suggestions. I am sure there are some brilliant engineers that have crappy signatures and it doesn't make their work less valuable. As a structural engineer I sign documents for hundreds of new clients each year. Some will not appreciate a "good" professional signature and some may. But I would prefer for my signature to be recognizable and show the reader that I am confident in my engineering opinion (or approval of document) and I am not afraid of someone knowing that I signed something.

I started looking at my signature after a co-worker mentioned it during the study period for the PE. He said that people will forever be looking at my signature and judging the quality of the documents based on signature analysis. Once I started the PE-ness portion of my career, I did not want to change my signature. So I practiced a few modifications and used a new technique until I settled on the one I currently have.

It it can be easily replicated by someone else - No.

If it does not show a hint of your personality/character - No.

http://atozhandwriting.com/signature-analysis/

Please note, these are not requirements, just suggestions. I am sure there are some brilliant engineers that have crappy signatures and it doesn't make their work less valuable. As a structural engineer I sign documents for hundreds of new clients each year. Some will not appreciate a "good" professional signature and some may. But I would prefer for my signature to be recognizable and show the reader that I am confident in my engineering opinion (or approval of document) and I am not afraid of someone knowing that I signed something.

I started looking at my signature after a co-worker mentioned it during the study period for the PE. He said that people will forever be looking at my signature and judging the quality of the documents based on signature analysis. Once I started the PE-ness portion of my career, I did not want to change my signature. So I practiced a few modifications and used a new technique until I settled on the one I currently have.
What the actual what?

Does anyone think that the cut score might be a little lower this time around?  The original poster said 59, but that seems awfully high, and I don't think I will hit that mark.  I took structural depth and I thought it was challenging, though I also didn't manage my time well.  From the April exam, the highest failing score reported was a 52/80.  People seemed to think that the test was easier than this one that was just given.  Unfortunately, I am hovering at around this mark.  Hopefully it is just enough to get by.

Does anyone think that the cut score might be a little lower this time around?  The original poster said 59, but that seems awfully high, and I don't think I will hit that mark.  I took structural depth and I thought it was challenging, though I also didn't manage my time well.  From the April exam, the highest failing score reported was a 52/80.  People seemed to think that the test was easier than this one that was just given.  Unfortunately, I am hovering at around this mark.  Hopefully it is just enough to get by.
Time will tell

I took the exam in Houston and was surprised by the number of fresh-out-of-schoolers there were.  

I actually made use of the new rule even though I have enough years under my belt.  My decision to take the test was a bit of a "why the hell not" moment that occurred in between the TBPE application cutoff and the NCEES exam sign-up cutoff dates.
Same here on both points.  They said over 1500 people were taking the test this time.  Compare that against the 621, or so, who took the test in April.  Would assume/hope that people 1-3 years out of school would do worse than those with more experience, improving the curve. 

I'm at ~6.5 years in industry, but figured I'd worry about writing the SER and getting my references to submit the paperwork after the test.  

Back