Cut Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's those **** astrological engineers who predict the cut scores. Everyone knows people perform better near the Blue Moon, unless they happen to be a Taurus of course. 

It's those **** astrological engineers who predict the cut scores. Everyone knows people perform better near the Blue Moon, unless they happen to be a Taurus of course. 
What happens to the loveable Taureii?!?  :thankyou:

Gentlemen,

would you please explain to me what is the meaning of cut score?

also what is the passing score for the test?

thanks

There are 80 exam questions but you "only"

Need to get somewhere between 48-60 correct to pass. Depending on what the flavor of the month is from your ncees overlords

Gentlemen,

would you please explain to me what is the meaning of cut score?

also what is the passing score for the test?

thanks
The cut score is the passing score.

The cut score varies from with every exam session and exam subject. For instance the cut score for Naval could be 56, and Petroleum is 54, but the next year it could be 57 and 56 (all numbers are arbitrary in this example). 

He mentioned cut score was going to be 59/80
The test was pretty **** hard.  In light of that, wouldn't the cut score seemingly be constant, since presumably fewer people would hit it by virtue of having harder questions?  Or is it believed to typically be 60+, so 59 is actually lower than normal?

@matt267 PE did you get any kind of result other than "pass", or are you referring to other people's fail diagnostics to determine that number?

@nukem2k5, I did not get a score with my pass. But, I know I nailed 35/40 PM questions and about 15/40 AM questions.

I am a little anxious about the results. I felt that I had a solid 20-25 in the morning and about 30 in the afternoon. I took Civil WRE, and I hope it was enough to pass.

Word in Texas is that because the exam was decoupled from experience the cut score is going to be much lower. You have all of the newbs fresh out of college attempting the exam. There was at least 3 times as many test takers this round. They are throwing off the curve big time.

Word in Texas is that because the exam was decoupled from experience the cut score is going to be much lower. You have all of the newbs fresh out of college attempting the exam. There was at least 3 times as many test takers this round. They are throwing off the curve big time.
Maybe... but it all depends on the score NCEES gives the Texas Board. Bottom line, if you don't have a 70 after the curve, you won't pass.

Was curious about the effect this would have, I took the exam in Houston and was surprised by the number of fresh-out-of-schoolers there were.  Have a hard time believing NCEES will radically alter the curve and compromise the difficulty of the exam if there really is that big a swing.

I actually made use of the new rule even though I have enough years under my belt.  My decision to take the test was a bit of a "why the hell not" moment that occurred in between the TBPE application cutoff and the NCEES exam sign-up cutoff dates.

NCEES determines this, not individual member boards.  Also, I could be wrong, but as pass rates vary every year/cycle, I don't think they try to curve it to have 70% pass or whatever.  I think they have subject matter experts take the exam and determine its difficulty, then subjectively assign a cut score.  Otherwise pass rates would always be the same, when then aren't.  Full disclosure, I could be 1000% wrong.

My point being, I don't think different groups taking the exam are going to make it so that the exam is easier, harder or otherwise for everyone else.  It is what it is, if someone meets the subjectively determined pass score, they pass.  

Was curious about the effect this would have, I took the exam in Houston and was surprised by the number of fresh-out-of-schoolers there were.  Have a hard time believing NCEES will radically alter the curve and compromise the difficulty of the exam if there really is that big a swing.

I actually made use of the new rule even though I have enough years under my belt.  My decision to take the test was a bit of a "why the hell not" moment that occurred in between the TBPE application cutoff and the NCEES exam sign-up cutoff dates.
My understanding is the the "cut score" is decided to reflect the number of new PE's they want to license, thus the "cut score" would be higher in a situation like that, I would think.

I heard the cut score was 85.

Oh, you didn't fill in the extra row of answer bubbles that they claimed they weren't going to score? See you again in april!  :oops:

Back