camping / backpacking thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope... We love our regular 3 person tent.

Going camping in Yosemite this weekend! I can't wait. I haven't been there since I was a kid!

You live 3.5 hours from Yosemite and haven't been there?  Geez, I'd be there every other week... but that's the only way I could stand living in a big city.

I know right? Our preference the past several years (which is kind of silly) has been to go to Tahoe. And we also haven't been camping as much recently as we'd like to. But I'm stoked to finally be breaking the streak!

Don’t feel bad I live 90 minutes away from Rocky Mountain NP and I’ve only been there twice this year - and not through the “front door” either just too god damned crowded.

I’m actually planning to take the road bike up and ride to the top Thursday- but I am hoping I am in between the summer traffic and the folks who come here to see the aspens change to yellow! Wish me luck //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_wink.png

Good luck, RG! And yeah, that's part of the not fun part of Yosemite. The darned traffic gets so bad on weekends in the warm months. You also really have to be on your game since reservations open up six months in advance and sell out really quickly, and I don't normally plan that far in advance for camping trips.

But this weekend, we have the whole campground to our group! I think it's five campsites, and we're celebrating a couple of birthdays so it should be a good time. It's right on a river too. Can't wait to swim!

That’s sounds like fun! Swimming is over here!

The best part about living close to these parks is the ability to go in the off-season.

If anyone does come to RMNP in the summer you can normally get backcountry permits easy for the back side of the park (you have to basically drove to Wyoming to get there) but it’s amazingly void of people- we went one July 4th weekend and didn’t see a soul- except a moose her calf and a small black bear.

Don’t feel bad I live 90 minutes away from Rocky Mountain NP and I’ve only been there twice this year - and not through the “front door” either just too god damned crowded.

I’m actually planning to take the road bike up and ride to the top Thursday- but I am hoping I am in between the summer traffic and the folks who come here to see the aspens change to yellow! Wish me luck //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_wink.png
I want to come! 

We have a tow behind popup, and love it. We went to Grand Teto NP and Yellowstone last summer, and camped in the popup the whole time (almost). We're heading out on Friday to go camping over on the Grand Mesa (near Grand Junction, but up high).

CSB- want to meet at Scheels?

I would love to get a tear drop or some type of tent trailer but I just don’t have the place to store it-

There are some crazy amazing camping spots just east of Yellowstone but you have I have a hard camper - no tent / pop ups camping allowed due to bears - but it’s some crazy amazing country-

I’ve also got to get it to grand Mesa one summer (after bug season)!

Gosh, it's tempting, but I should really adult tomorrow. 
5d153ec321a861052e14eee3-750-375.jpg

Trail Ridge Road?

Going to Colorado at the end of next week!  Road trip in one straight shot is the plan.  Should be an exhilarating ride...  Anywho, going to see wife's sister / her fam as well as her best friend who are both in the Denver area.  Should be camping at least three nights in a national park or more depending on how long we can put up with our peeps.  I am empty on the details besides that.  It's still tank top and sandals weather up there, right?  Or will my pee freeze before it hits the ground when nature makes its 2:00 AM call?  Inquiring minds want to know.

MP- yes trail ridge road - will park somewhere around many parks curve or whatever it’s called ..have always wanted to do that during the week and after tourists season is over -

MS- you mean national forest or national park? Most of national forest is first come first serve - it’s Defin starting to get down to high 30’s in the mountains at night but nothing crazy...

I'm so excited. The weekend after the test, I'm going on a one night backpacking trip. Haven't planned it yet. But it's one of my post-exam rewards. Nothing like camping in November in NH. 

Good thing I got some new wool lounge pants since I'm too lazy/cheap to buy lower temp rated top & under quilts for my hammock - they're rated at 30F & 20F respectively so I'm not too worried. I might not be toasty toasty but I won't die 

The other post-exam rewards include a hike literally the day after and some sushi. Have not planned my hike either lol 

I'm so excited. The weekend after the test, I'm going on a one night backpacking trip. Haven't planned it yet. But it's one of my post-exam rewards. Nothing like camping in November in NH. 

Good thing I got some new wool lounge pants since I'm too lazy/cheap to buy lower temp rated top & under quilts for my hammock - they're rated at 30F & 20F respectively so I'm not too worried. I might not be toasty toasty but I won't die 

The other post-exam rewards include a hike literally the day after and some sushi. Have not planned my hike either lol 
White Mtns I assume?   I’d like do a weekend backpacking trip up there this fall.  It’s been a while   

Will be doing my winter trip over at the dry river trail in Jan.  ⛄

White Mtns I assume?   I’d like do a weekend backpacking trip up there this fall.  It’s been a while   

Will be doing my winter trip over at the dry river trail in Jan.  ⛄
Yeah, haven't figured out where yet. I'm leaning towards either Pemi Wilderness or Caribou-Speckled Wilderness.

No legit winter trips for me this year - I definitely will need to invest in heavier gear. I am however taking a mountaineering course in January (belated bday present to myself) and having a guide take me up one of the northern Presis. All of my winter hiking experience is largely below treeline or short jaunts in the alpine 

Rocky Mountain National Park was pretty sweet.  My first NP trip and want to go back.  The elk were cool the first hundred times I saw them, but the traffic in the park due to the people stopping IN THE ROAD to gawk was terrible.  Pull to the side, dipshits.  Also, elk bugling throughout the night got old pretty quick.  

Did you camp in the park?

Yeah we no longer visit there in the fall due to the shitzillion tons of people that come here for the Elk Rut.

We drove home from Grand Junction and detoured through Aspen, the sheer number of people in town to look at the one color leaf change (Aspens) and slamming on the brakes every time they saw a big horn sheep got pretty old, but we probably stopped the first time we saw one too..

Back