camping / backpacking thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, we camped in the park, tent style.  Coldest it got was low 40's, but combine that with the brutal wind at Emerald Lake and you get some uncomfortable people.

yeah it was windy AF this weekend - So I assume yall backpacked?  We have hit a ton of backcountry sites in RMNP - they are all pretty good - but have not done much the last couple years - I assume Trail Ridge Road was closed and you couldn't go up to the top?

We had wanted to travel TRR and see the intercontinental divide, but we had limited time and wanted to hang out more.  Also, all of our kids (ours and theirs) were playing incredibly well at the campsite (exploring on their own and well out of view - 7 - 9 year olds) that we minimized our out time.

Summit of what? Mt. Washington?

When I hear Fall in New England, I think of the Headless Horseman and witches. See any?

Camels Hump in VT. Agiocochook (Washington) was under a few feet if snow yesterday and today MWOBS reported 1-3in of ice.

No witches or anything yet

So boyfriend wants a rain jacket for Christmas. And it's what my family is getting him so I'm doing the research on it and sending them the info.

He was a rain jacket for fishing (fly fishing) and hiking. We'll be going on trip this summer that combine the two.

Anyone have a coat they love? I did zero research on mine besides "does it have pit zips?" and I wish I got one that packed down smaller or at least came with a thing to pack it into.

I'm already looking at the Patagonia Minimalist and the Marmot PreCip Eco.

I have one from Marmot that has held up really well (multiple 14'ers, tons of hiking and camping), I honestly think Patagonia is stuff they want High School kids to buy but isn't really meant for actual outdoor use (or at least that has been my experience)

I bought a Marmot Precip jacket for our Alaska trip.  As far as keeping you dry, it worked very well.  But like all the truly waterproof stuff, it holds moisture in as well as it keeps it out.  Open pit zips were a must to not feel like you were in a sauna.  I did not like the mesh pockets, at least I wouldn't trust anything valuable in them.  I still feel like it was worth the money.

I have one from Marmot that has held up really well (multiple 14'ers, tons of hiking and camping), I honestly think Patagonia is stuff they want High School kids to buy but isn't really meant for actual outdoor use (or at least that has been my experience)
Friend of mine that's really outdoorsy/used to work for REI, etc. used to swear by Patagonia as high quality stuff (10 years ago), now says it has turned to crap and won't bother buying it anymore.

@squaretaper PE worked at REI for years! I buy Patagonia for the philosophy, but North Face for performance. #1 thing is don't wash it (ideally, ever) with regular detergent. Use your favorite brand of sport wash so you don't kill the DWR treatment. Nothing beats the factory stuff, the aftermarket stuff sucks.

I'm thinking it's going to be one of the Marmots - scrounge for an PreCip (heard the lining in the PreCip Eco flakes) or the Knife Edge. Or The North Face Venture 2.

I personally have TNF Venture and it isn't that packable but the V2 is apparently. I sent him all of the links to pick from so we'll see.

Someone suggested some stuff from Cabelas but the jacket weighs 32oz! My grandmother *wants* to get him a Lands End one (BLECK) but those don't list weights plus it's Lands End. 

I'm thinking it's going to be one of the Marmots - scrounge for an PreCip (heard the lining in the PreCip Eco flakes) or the Knife Edge. Or The North Face Venture 2.

I personally have TNF Venture and it isn't that packable but the V2 is apparently. I sent him all of the links to pick from so we'll see.

Someone suggested some stuff from Cabelas but the jacket weighs 32oz! My grandmother *wants* to get him a Lands End one (BLECK) but those don't list weights plus it's Lands End. 
I like the PreCip!

If Carhartt every breaks into the ski gear / hiking department  I think they would dominate, I've got a couple of carhartt items and they are durable and warm as F!

I think NF is slowly becoming Patagonia / Eddie Bauer / Lands End unless you buy there very high end stuff i.e. just meant for kids to wear at the mall..

So boyfriend wants a rain jacket for Christmas. And it's what my family is getting him so I'm doing the research on it and sending them the info.

He was a rain jacket for fishing (fly fishing) and hiking. We'll be going on trip this summer that combine the two.

Anyone have a coat they love? I did zero research on mine besides "does it have pit zips?" and I wish I got one that packed down smaller or at least came with a thing to pack it into.

I'm already looking at the Patagonia Minimalist and the Marmot PreCip Eco.
I have a Rab momentum that I bought years ago and it has served me well.  That was when eVent was a big deal.  Rab still has great stuff.   Also, you can’t go wrong with arc’teryx. 

Anyone else get a kick out of seeing people on a weekend car camping trip with a $450 Yeti Cooler? Or is it just me?

What's your $40 cooler? My classic igloo roller cooler is not  equivalent on many levels. Can't keep ice from melting for very long, and has pretty limited space inside once you put ice/freezer packs inside. don't get me wrong, it's served us well, but a yeti would definitely be an upgrade.

Back