camping / backpacking thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we couldn't help but laugh after they walked passed us.. and all I could think of, yep after getting your phd in forestry to work at the National Park you get to haul shit out of campsites for the first couple of years..

Wait, I thought if you got a PhD in forestry you had to wait tables for 10 years before going back to school to get a second PhD to be able to clean toilets at a national park?

your right they did look like they were late 20's / early 30's..

The privy was really nice, it didn't have a front door or a roof, but it had an excellent view of the lake, I give it a 9/10

oh yeah-- so now when you get your permit at the National Park they make you physically show them the bear canister:

http://www.ems.com/backpacker-food-cache-bear-canister/26933300015.html?emssrcid=PPC%3AbingPLA%3AProductType1CampHikeProductType2camping_food&creative=11622643102&device=c

These are required to backpack in Rocky Mtn National Park (& many others I imagine) its about 3 extra lbs of guess who carries this for the family??????

Old School method was to put your food in a bag and hang it from a tree, guess that concept failed so now you put your food in this and put it 90 paces from your tent (just lay it on the ground)- I am not sure if this is being done on the East Coast or just in the Western Parks.  My kids all woke up and rushed over to the bear canister to see if it had been "moved" during the night.. lols...

udap_445x260.jpg

Perfect timing on this thread...Mr. Tex and I are thinking about getting a vintage Airstream...Any body here have one?  Any thoughts on remodeling one?

These are required to backpack in Rocky Mtn National Park (& many others I imagine) its about 3 extra lbs of guess who carries this for the family??????
This made me laugh out loud. You're the best damn sherpa this side of the Mississippi, RG. 

oh yeah-- so now when you get your permit at the National Park they make you physically show them the bear canister:

http://www.ems.com/backpacker-food-cache-bear-canister/26933300015.html?emssrcid=PPC%3AbingPLA%3AProductType1CampHikeProductType2camping_food&creative=11622643102&device=c

Old School method was to put your food in a bag and hang it from a tree, guess that concept failed so now you put your food in this and put it 90 paces from your tent (just lay it on the ground)- I am not sure if this is being done on the East Coast or just in the Western Parks.  My kids all woke up and rushed over to the bear canister to see if it had been "moved" during the night.. lols...

udap_445x260.jpg
They are required on the east coast too.  The Olympic National Park in WA requires them, but not because of bears, but because of coons, squirrels, and mice, etc..  There are lighter versions, but they don't keep bears out as well.  I guess some bears have been able to figure out how to open some versions (the transparent one with black lid).  The one you post is completely bear proof.  It makes a decent chair/stool, so that is one plus.  But it's recommended that you paint it a color that is easier to find because bears can move them a loooooong ways.  A buddy of mine had a bear knock his over a cliff.

my ILs just bought a circa 2000 travellite pull behind from a RV dealer that supposed checked out AOK by their maintenance guys.  two messed up axles and a leaky roof...  so buyer beware!!!!

Its not supposed to be used as a stool since the food isn't supposed to be in camp? ;)

I wouldn't carry the weight for just squirrels  unless they actually made you show it to them...

We need to do an EB campout one of these days...

the "older boys" in my kids scout troop just got back from a 2 week paddle trip in Canada, looked like a most excellent time,  But hell it was like almost $3K per person!

Its not supposed to be used as a stool since the food isn't supposed to be in camp? ;)

I wouldn't carry the weight for just squirrels  unless they actually made you show it to them...

We need to do an EB campout one of these days...
Well, you can sit on them while you eat...  and in my experience the vermin are more destructive than bears.  YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you can sit on them while you eat...  and in my experience the vermin are more destructive than bears.  YMMV.
This is what I use. 

http://www.ursack.com/

light weight and keeps bears out.   You just tie it to a tree.   Downside is food can get crushed and you need to keep food in zip lock bags because it is not water resistant.  

^^Cool product!!!

Might need to put a bear canister in it though. ;)

This is what I use. 

light weight and keeps bears out.   You just tie it to a tree.   Downside is food can get crushed and you need to keep food in zip lock bags because it is not water resistant.  
Interesting.  Had not heretofore been aware of that.  Not sure I want crushed food though.

In the white mountains, I'm not too concerned about bears, although they are there, it's mostly the small animals I'm trying to keep out.  The company claims their product is allowed in all but a few national parks.    I find that the canister takes up too much room in the pack. 

my ILs just bought a circa 2000 travellite pull behind from a RV dealer that supposed checked out AOK by their maintenance guys.  two messed up axles and a leaky roof...  so buyer beware!!!!
This is a camping/backpacking thread! 

This is what I use. 

I've been around here long enough to know not to click on a link that says your sack. 

Back