camping / backpacking thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My strategy for food for backpacking trips is to find someone like EG ^ and invite them on the trip to take care of the food planning.

Although I often end up doing breakfast and lunch on my own. . . for breakfast I find english muffins don't squish too much in the pack, and bring a bit of peanut butter for some protein in the morning. Lunch I'm with VTE with canned chicken, tuna in foil, some crackers, nuts, trail mix and/or cheese. If you buy the Babybel individual wrapped cheeses they can last several days. I'm constantly hungry as it is, let alone when I'm hiking 10+ miles per day so I bring a lot of high-protein foods in an attempt to keep my stomach satisfied.

My next camping trip is after Thanksgiving, bicycling the White Rim trail in Canyonlands National Park in Utah. We have vehicle support so food won't be an issue. Weather might be an issue though--my dad was out there last month and it was already dipping into the low 20s.
Gets cold in the desert at night. You could see a dusting of snow which would make for great photos.

Another easy BP food idea. Can of chili, corn tortillas and oil. Heat and serve tacos

your right i need to just invite EG on the trip! Ill let you know when it gets scheduled!

I like all those ideas, I dont mind the $7 meals backpacking food but I imagine after a few days they get very very old.. they are not bad for a one night trip though, and really easy to deal with...But Im printing your suggestions and putting in my planning folder for sure!

Ive done mre's in the past also, even with breaking down the packaging it still leaves a lot of trash to hike out, the aluminum foil in the mre packs dont burn and I guess were supposed to teach scouts to not leave any "trace"

man, I spent some time over the weekend looking through som AT and other "backpacking" forums.. I always forget how many forums get overun by trolls and assholes (i didnt even post, just reading) I forget how civil all you guys and gals are so just wanted to say thanks to you all!

I talked to a buddy of mine, and he hiked the AT starting at the Southern terminus and coming off the trail just this side of the Smoky Mountain National Forest. He has not commented back as to how the hike was terrain-wise.

I've been on sections in NY that were basically level, sections in VT and NH that were rolling, and sections in TN and VA that were pretty rugged. With a trail that big, you get it all.

The AT along the NC/TN border in the Smokies.

IMG_0636.jpg

The AT in the Shenandoahs at sunset.

IMG_1347-1.jpg

I want to do the smokies but they require you to only camp at shelters and I cant bring my dog $500 fine....

If I have a group of kids with me sometimes I have heard there are lots of weirdos at the shelters sometimes...

I've rarely run into too many weirdos in the backcountry. Most folks I've met are friendly as can be.

The National Parks are awesome, but they are not at all pet friendly. They don't want your dog there because of the possibility of them tearing up a fragile landscape or getting into it with another animal. Oh well.

The only real oddball I ran into while hiking was when I went to Lake Solitude in the Tetons. The guy was butt naked save for a pair of hiking boots.

from people are telling me is that during the summer and close to weekends the shelters get full in the areas that are close to major destinations (Easy road access) .. getting some feedback that its not always something pleasant to be around, would prefer to be able to stay in shelters mid week with less people and then be able to tent the other nights, I think it would be good for the boys to be able to do their own thing.. Ive been watching some of the youtube videos people have shot of themselves doing thru hikes and some of those people they "run into" in the shelters look & sound pretty rough (and im not talking about looking rough from not shaving in 2 months due to hiking), Im sure some of them are great people though..

I just dont like the thought of "having" to stay at the shelters or having to tent it out right next to the shelters.. I want the kids to have fun, they will be tired from backpacking, but If they want to goof off around the campfire at the night I want them to be able to do that without disturbing some hippie prood...

The smokies has the no dog rule due to bears, understable, but most other NPS allow dogs..the AT shouldnt be any different than any other NPS property...plus I already got the border collie her backpack! The Kennesaw Mountain NPS property near me has a section for horses... those things do some serious damage to the trail...

The smokies has the no dog rule due to bears, understable, but most other NPS allow dogs..the AT shouldnt be any different than any other NPS property...
I've been to a bunch of National Parks as the regulars here know. The only one I ever took a dog to was Acadia, because it was the only one I've driven to. (And a mega-disappointment I might add.) Acadia is different because towns run through it and it's well developed and no one cared if I let my dogs in the ocean. The other 22 I've been to were all off-limits about dogs in the backcountry.

I've rarely run into too many weirdos in the backcountry.
How would know if/when you do?

The only real oddball I ran into while hiking was when I went to Lake Solitude in the Tetons. The guy was butt naked save for a pair of hiking boots.
Then did you walk away from the mirror and put some clothes on?

Oh man that stuff on the NH/ME line brings back some memories. The Presidential Range has some awesome hiking and insane weather. I'd love to do that with my dog, and if I didn't have a Lab I'd have a Vizsla like that dude. All I was trying to say is that the Natl Park Service are assholes with their dog policies.

Speaking of the PCT, I read "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail" by Cheryl Strayed (http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Found-Pacific-Crest-Oprahs/dp/0307592731)

First: Give me a break for reading a "chick book"... I was on deployment and bored! At least I didn't stoop to 50 Shades of Gray.

Second: It's an interesting story, as much for the insight into human failings as anything else.

Third: If anyone wants to try the PCT and makes it as far as Angeles National Forest, let me know. I'd be happy to drop off some beer for the last push!

RW- I tried to explain the Burdell reference to no luck with my wife when we found this video...even though I didnt go to GT, my grandfather used to tell me about the Burdell stuff "back in the day"

The smokies has the no dog rule due to bears, understable, but most other NPS allow dogs..the AT shouldnt be any different than any other NPS property...
I've been to a bunch of National Parks as the regulars here know. The only one I ever took a dog to was Acadia, because it was the only one I've driven to. (And a mega-disappointment I might add.) Acadia is different because towns run through it and it's well developed and no one cared if I let my dogs in the ocean. The other 22 I've been to were all off-limits about dogs in the backcountry.
Yeah, I was always under the impression that dogs aren't allowed at any National Parks, outside of the paved roads and the developed campgrounds.

There are a lot of reasons why the national parks don't want you to bring your dogs, they aren't trying to be a-holes.

side note, that is an awesome doggie backpack, it looks like it would hold way more stuff than the one I have for mine holds.

Back