CALIFORNIA RESULTS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Congrats everyone.

I hope I will have some help next year when I try to tell people to forget about the database and wait for the letter.

Question, got the letter today and I failed the 8 hour exam. The thing is, is that I didn't get the break-down of topics I failed in (score, etc.). What Happened? Has anyone experienced this before?

I PASSED!! YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH! Man the feeling is so good! the end of a long journey!! :party-smiley-048:

I....I...FAILED! *CRYING* :Failed: .... Well, since this is my first time taking it, I took this exam by a surprise. Now that I know the format of the exam, I will hopefully try to study harder this time.

What are some good advices to give to someone like me who is thinking of taking the exam in April 2009 (3 months from now)?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that, but keep trying. I know you can do it. I don't have any good advices to give you, but all I can say is keep work on the Lindeburg problems and NCEES practice problems and exams. Don't just work on the problems and memmorize them. You have to understand the concepts behind each problem. Also, you should spend a good amount of time to prepare the afternoon section before taking the exam.

For me, I quited my job 1.5 month before the exam to prepare for the PE. I know that sounds crazy, but that just me. I spent the entire 1.5 months, 50 hours a week to work on Lindeburg problems and NCEES practice exams. I also narrowed down what I need to focus on. For example, when I took the mechanical exam and I knew that my afternoon section would not be on the machine design, I spent 3/4 of my prep time studying fluid, thermo, heat transfer, and power cycles until I knew all the equations inside and out. I spent my other 1/4 of my prep time studying combustion, engineer economics, statics, and dynamics.

Now that I pass the exam, I will look for another job. Even with this economy, there is a job offer waiting for me to accept. Thus, quitting my job is not as bad because it only takes me one try to pass and I am now a PE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question, got the letter today and I failed the 8 hour exam. The thing is, is that I didn't get the break-down of topics I failed in (score, etc.). What Happened? Has anyone experienced this before?

Wrong advice. Please see below

:Failed:
I failed again for 5th time and about 400hours of study time. I gave up and that it for me.I do not take the test any more.

Good luck to you guys and congratulation to all new PE's in California.

Hey you cannot quit on us. Keep trying. Push harder. I know you can do it. Quit your job if you have to. Find a good studying partner. Sign up for a prep class. Do whatever it takes for you to pass. Give up is not an option.

You have to keep trying. You cannot quit on us.
Alexd,

That didnt really answer my question.... i didnt get the sheet showing what subjects I need to work on. Etc, Construction % correct, Geotech?, Trans, etc. Has anyone not passed this exam and not receive the break-down page?

Alexd,
That didnt really answer my question.... i didnt get the sheet showing what subjects I need to work on. Etc, Construction % correct, Geotech?, Trans, etc. Has anyone not passed this exam and not receive the break-down page?

Sorry about that. I think if you failed the board will send you two letters. First letter will say you have failed. Second letter will show the break-down. Please correct me if i am wrong

Okay. Congrats everyone.
I hope I will have some help next year when I try to tell people to forget about the database and wait for the letter.

So have they updated the database yet???!?!?! :eyebrows:

I passed! Civil (structural emphasis)

First try! Thank god, After taking a class and studying about 200 hours total I'm not sure I could take anymore. Thanks so much EB for keeping me sane during the process.

My studying procces was (for all of those that weren't able to pass I'm so sorry):

• I took a class to reteach me what I had forgotten (and i'm only 2 years out of school; how much could I have forgotten you may ask, well a lot ;) ). Some teachers weren't so awesome, some I really enjoyed. All in all i didn't do any geotech or transpo problems b/c they taught the subject so well I figured I'd have a good shot for those sections.
  • I read most of the CERM and highlighted important stuff (well at least what was important imo).
  • I bought to problem book sets (the other boards 600 problems or whatever and 6 min. solutions). I only did the problems for my emphasis (structural). I heard that the first half of the test was much easier than the second so I studied mainly on that.
  • I spent most of my days after work driving straight to the library and doing problems for 2 hours or so, and also spending 6 hours or so every weekend that I had free.
  • I had a fantastic GF who helped me with meals and what not (trust me after working for 12 hours and studying for 2 the last thing you want to do is cook for yourself). I did have to buy her a really nice present when I finished it all but it was totally worth it.
  • Total time wise I spent about 8 weeks studying for the national test (i'd say close to 200 hours) then about 24 hours studying for each of the other tests (surveying and seismic). I used Hiner for seismic, and cuomo for surveying (nothing aside from those two books). Oh, actually I read Hiner next to the AISC and IBC so I could cross reference which helped.
  • And of course when my brain needed a little free time it was great to come read up at EB on good practice procedures, find some great sample problems for free, and ask any questions I may have ran into.
Hopefully this can help the others!

Thanks again :party-smiley-048:

Dastuff

:Failed:
I failed again for 5th time and about 400hours of study time. I gave up and that it for me.I do not take the test any more.

Good luck to you guys and congratulation to all new PE's in California.
NO WAY PEara - that is just what they want you to do. DON"T GIVE UP!! I took the test 8 times until I passed, and I don't care who knows it. Get back into that exam room in April, and give it your all.

YOU WILL PASS THIS EXAM!!! :p10940623: Don't let that 400 hours go to waste - build on it.

I am on the database as well and have a license number. However, my expiration date is June 30, 2009...which seems really early. Does anyone else have an expiration date after ~6 months? Is the cynic in me right in thinking this is just a ploy to get more cash when I have to renew?

OK, after a quick look on the pels.gov site under License Renewal, I found this info (and figured I should post my query anyways in case someone else was wondering):

Renewal Period - Engineering and land surveying licenses that expire on or before June 30, 2003, are valid for four (4) years from the assigned renewal date (not the issue date). Licenses that expire on or after July 1, 2003, are valid for two (2) years from the assigned renewal date (not the issue date).

First-time Licensure - Your examination fee includes licensure through the first renewal quarter after the exam results were approved by the Board. Approximately one to two months after being notified of passing the examination, first-time licensees will receive a renewal notice for payment of the full renewal fee. Once renewed, the license will be valid for an additional two (2) years. The renewal month and day will remain the same until the license is retired, canceled, or revoked.

I Passed!

Finally!

Its been a long wait. :party-smiley-048:

Congrats to all those who passed! :multiplespotting:

NO WAY PEara - that is just what they want you to do. DON"T GIVE UP!! I took the test 8 times until I passed, and I don't care who knows it. Get back into that exam room in April, and give it your all.
YOU WILL PASS THIS EXAM!!! Don't let that 400 hours go to waste - build on it.
What a great inspiration, PEPG!

PEara, I passed on 4th try. I know there are a lot of others here who passed on 4th and several on 5th. And, at least one on 8th. :) It's a personal decision, PEara. I did not take my 4th exam until many years after 3rd attempt. I thought it was not something I needed. I was wrong. It turned into my "Plan B". It helped me get a better job. It was hard to take that risk again, but it is definitely a risk worth taking. I agree with the others that you should not give up. We are here to motivate, inspire, encourage, and cheer you on. We have many engineers here who can answer questions and help you study and learn. When you get your diagnostic information, you should review it and determine where you need to spend more effort. I hope you WILL pass the exam. I hope you will want to tray again.

Congrats to all those who passed! :multiplespotting:

What a great inspiration, PEPG!

PEara, I passed on 4th try. I know there are a lot of others here who passed on 4th and several on 5th. And, at least one on 8th. :) It's a personal decision, PEara. I did not take my 4th exam until many years after 3rd attempt. I thought it was not something I needed. I was wrong. It turned into my "Plan B". It helped me get a better job. It was hard to take that risk again, but it is definitely a risk worth taking. I agree with the others that you should not give up. We are here to motivate, inspire, encourage, and cheer you on. We have many engineers here who can answer questions and help you study and learn. When you get your diagnostic information, you should review it and determine where you need to spend more effort. I hope you WILL pass the exam. I hope you will want to tray again.
Just to clear the air - three times I sat for the exam without studying a single topic. I knew that I would not be able to study for that period coming up to those dates, but I refused to let the exam date pass without giving it a try (if for nothing else - PRACTICE). The last two attempts I really studied, thanks in large part to the inspiration I received from members of this Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back