CALIFORNIA RESULTS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My post was not intended to offend you in any way, PEPG, and I hope it did not. It was just meant to encourage others who have received the dreaded results that hit you in the gut.

My post was not intended to offend you in any way, PEPG, and I hope it did not. It was just meant to encourage others who have received the dreaded results that hit you in the gut.
No - I did not take it as a put down in any way! I just wanted to provide a little background - I thought that for PEara, it would be helpful to know I wasn't going full-bore nuts for 8 exams!

It's funny - the first time I took the test, the guy next to me told me it was his 6th time. I remember thinking "NO WAY, I will never, ever take this exam more than once!"

That attitude changed the second hour into the afternoon. It was then I realized I had better be prepared for the long haul.

It's all good. I am a PE (now I have to work on the PG part). :p10940623:

^ I know. It's just the kind of thing that eats at you for a long time. I had decided after 3rd failure that I would not pursue it again, especially when my boss said that it would not make any difference to the company. (I was working in manufacturing industry then.) It took me years, and my husband nudging gently, but the desire for PE came back. I hope it will for PEara.

^ I know. It's just the kind of thing that eats at you for a long time. I had decided after 3rd failure that I would not pursue it again, especially when my boss said that it would not make any difference to the company. (I was working in manufacturing industry then.) It took me years, and my husband nudging gently, but the desire for PE came back. I hope it will for PEara.
Thanks to PEPG & mary:)

I am really exhausted now;but I will try to start study for next October exam.

I am in HVAC industry and I really need to get PE. These diagnostic information, does not mean any thing to me because for example:

In my last April exam

Heat transfer 33%

Psychometric 100%

Compressible flow 100%

But in my last October exam:

Heat transfer 100%

Psychometric 17%

Compressible flow 0%

And when I compare all my previous diagnostic information of all my previous exams they all have same situation for all subjects.

I would like to mention that even though I do not know the factors which the board takes into consideration in order to decide on the cut-score, I don’t find them accurate enough to evaluate and reflect the applicant's true knowledge. For instance, if you look at the result of my previous exam in April 2008, you will notice that my score for "Compressible flow " was 100%, but the score for the same subject in October 2008 is 0%. If I am knowledgeable enough in a field that I could answer all questions correctly, and receive 100%, does it really make sense to get 0% the next time? No score implies that I don't have any knowledge in that subject while 100% scoring means that I have full and thorough knowledge in that subject.

I do not know what should I really do and what portion I should study more!!

Just for your information, I have nearly ten years of HVAC & plumbing design working experience and have completed over 1200 projects. I know many engineers who have passed the PE exam the first time, but they didn't spend even half the time that I spent studying for this test, and when I compare my knowledge and experience with some of them, I am of the feeling that there should be a better way of knowledge evaluation for granting PE to the applicants.

Any way, that how it is now and I cannot do anything about it.

Thanks again for all support and advice, I will try to start preparing myself for next October exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to PEPG & mary:)I am really exhausted now;but I will try to start study for next October exam.

I am in HVAC industry and I really need to get PE. These diagnostic information, does not mean any thing to me because for example:

In my last April exam

Heat transfer 33%

Psychometric 100%

Compressible flow 100%

But in my last October exam:

Heat transfer 100%

Psychometric 17%

Compressible flow 0%

And when I compare all my previous diagnostic information of all my previous exams they all have same situation for all subjects.

I would like to mention that even though I do not know the factors which the board takes into consideration in order to decide on the cut-score, I don’t find them accurate enough to evaluate and reflect the applicant's true knowledge. For instance, if you look at the result of my previous exam in April 2008, you will notice that my score for "Compressible flow " was 100%, but the score for the same subject in October 2008 is 0%. If I am knowledgeable enough in a field that I could answer all questions correctly, and receive 100%, does it really make sense to get 0% the next time? No score implies that I don't have any knowledge in that subject while 100% scoring means that I have full and thorough knowledge in that subject.

I do not know what should I really do and what portion I should study more!!

Just for your information, I have nearly ten years of HVAC & plumbing design working experience and have completed over 1200 projects. I know many engineers who have passed the PE exam the first time, but they didn't spend even half the time that I spent studying for this test, and when I compare my knowledge and experience with some of them, I am of the feeling that there should be a better way of knowledge evaluation for granting PE to the applicants.

Any way, that how it is now and I cannot do anything about it.

Thanks again for all support and advice, I will try to start preparing myself for next October exam.
That is good news, you sound like a great engineer! Good luck, I will be watching the posts from time to time, and I am sure your name will be on the banner soon enough!

Thanks to PEPG & mary:)I am really exhausted now;but I will try to start study for next October exam.

I am in HVAC industry and I really need to get PE. These diagnostic information, does not mean any thing to me because ...

... factors which the board takes into consideration in order to decide on the cut-score, I don’t find them accurate enough to evaluate and reflect the applicant's true knowledge. ... I do not know what should I really do and what portion I should study more!!

I'm glad you are going to study again. I know the feeling of never wanting to open another book, though. I'm not good at interpreting the diagnostic information. Hopefully, somebody on the board will see this and be able to help you.

I don't think anyone here will argue that the board system of determining qualifications is imperfect. Some of it is luck. Some of it is the difficulty of evaluating engineering ability. But, you're right, we have to live with it.

Congratulations on finding your determination. :)

Well, don't get too bummed if you didn't pass everyone. I believe that I am going to be taking an exam (or two) in April with you.

I am somewhat away from my mail at the moment and won't find out what the deal is until next month, but I can clearly see that my name isn't on the database. :smileyballs:

So let's get past feeling sorry for ourselves, fill out that retest application, and start studying our asses off! BIO everyone!!!!

:bio:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back