April PE - What did you think?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very insightful post, jdscottPE. Thanks for sharing.

I completely agree, I could work most of the practice problems without even looking at reference materials because I became so familiar with the formulas, concepts, etc. I was scoring in the 90%+ range on CI, Spin-up, Graffeo, and NCEES practice exams. However I am almost certain I failed this exam. I can count at least 15 problems that I remember that I know I missed... after looking them up afterward. Slim chance in hell I missed 24 or less total.

What is the NEMA MG-1? I've tried searching google. Is this a book or table that we should be taking into the exam (in case we have to retake the exam)?

I noticed one of the NEC problems being a bit "off" as well. Or having 2 acceptable answers.

I also saw the KVA vs KV error. I'm hoping that problem is thrown out.
Kovz you could still pass, the exam is curved.. I know someone who was certain he missed more than 20 and he end up scoring an 80%. Some questions do have errors and I believe they get thrown out. Last time when I studied for the exam, I answered all the practice exams you mentioned minus the Graffeo and I was scoring in the 90% range too, the problem is I just don't think that covers everything on the exam, and I am sure you saw that yourself. That's why I made a comment 10 days before the test that basically I did all these exams and I still didn't make it.

I think these exams you mentioned cover a solid portion of the test and puts you in the groove of answering problems, but I really do believe that they only cover about 50% of the exam material. I think the best way to prepare would be look at the topics mentioned at the beginning of the NCEES practice exam and make sure you have an understanding on every topic and some material to reference during the test. Usually if you take a class they provide you with notes that would cover all the topics, and that helps during the test. Also, reading researching the internet and printing some related articles and reading them helps too.

The exam was not an easy one. I really hope that we all score higher than the cut score and pass, I know that everyone that reads this thread put his heart into studying and spent long hours looking at books and answering questions. Let's hope we get rewarded for our hard work and find that magical word "pass" next to our names!!
if you look at the NCEES website under "Exams" and "Scoring Process" they "explain". For all practical purposes it is a curve although I think my wife, who is familiar with scoring processes, used another name for it. Bottom line Kovz, I agree with Khaled that you may have done better than you think.

Anyone know where I go on the NCEES site to report the kV/kVA typo? Can't find it anywhere on their website or materials.

For those who took the School of PE Power or GaTech courses, did you find the course notes and problem sets helpful for this April exam?

Btw...thank you so much for this thread, very helpful.

Good luck on passing your exams.

Hey Everyone,

This is my first real post...my other was asking Kovz for a link to something. And thank you, Kovz...I was able to answer something correctly with your help.

Unfortunately I don't think I did well, I concentrated too much answering the sample exam questions and not enough time learning the concepts (especially electric machine concepts-yikes). So, here in about 3 weeks it's back to the books and learning the concepts before anything else. I also had a lot of trouble with the time factor. I tried to work the exam with labeling the questions with a 1,2,3, or 4 based on difficulty, but I got hung up in the 3rd pass and could only complete about 65% of the AM and PM parts. The rest I just narrowed down to a 50/50 guess or filled in a 'B' bubble. So, now I'm back to the beginning. I do think I've learned a lot from taking this exam and I will use all of that information for the October 2015 exam.

Good Luck to everyone.

For those who took the School of PE Power or GaTech courses, did you find the course notes and problem sets helpful for this April exam?

Btw...thank you so much for this thread, very helpful.

Good luck on passing your exams.
mramos.............I know I'm not answering your specific question but the GaTech was very helpful for the April 2014 exam (last year). Provided a good basic knowledge that prepared me well for all the sample exams I took. This worked well for me in that I graduated in the late '80's and had to refamiliarize myself with the material.

Hey Everyone,

This is my first real post...my other was asking Kovz for a link to something. And thank you, Kovz...I was able to answer something correctly with your help.

Unfortunately I don't think I did well, I concentrated too much answering the sample exam questions and not enough time learning the concepts (especially electric machine concepts-yikes). So, here in about 3 weeks it's back to the books and learning the concepts before anything else. I also had a lot of trouble with the time factor. I tried to work the exam with labeling the questions with a 1,2,3, or 4 based on difficulty, but I got hung up in the 3rd pass and could only complete about 65% of the AM and PM parts. The rest I just narrowed down to a 50/50 guess or filled in a 'B' bubble. So, now I'm back to the beginning. I do think I've learned a lot from taking this exam and I will use all of that information for the October 2015 exam.

Good Luck to everyone.
If you answered most of the 65% questions correctly and then have a 50/50 chance on the others, your chances of passing are high, keep your head up and wait for the results before studying. Enjoy the summer :) .

Kovz you could still pass, the exam is curved.. I know someone who was certain he missed more than 20 and he end up scoring an 80%. Some questions do have errors and I believe they get thrown out. Last time when I studied for the exam, I answered all the practice exams you mentioned minus the Graffeo and I was scoring in the 90% range too, the problem is I just don't think that covers everything on the exam, and I am sure you saw that yourself. That's why I made a comment 10 days before the test that basically I did all these exams and I still didn't make it.

I think these exams you mentioned cover a solid portion of the test and puts you in the groove of answering problems, but I really do believe that they only cover about 50% of the exam material. I think the best way to prepare would be look at the topics mentioned at the beginning of the NCEES practice exam and make sure you have an understanding on every topic and some material to reference during the test. Usually if you take a class they provide you with notes that would cover all the topics, and that helps during the test. Also, reading researching the internet and printing some related articles and reading them helps too.

The exam was not an easy one. I really hope that we all score higher than the cut score and pass, I know that everyone that reads this thread put his heart into studying and spent long hours looking at books and answering questions. Let's hope we get rewarded for our hard work and find that magical word "pass" next to our names!!
You're absolutely right, the practice exams only cover a portion of what could be on this exam. Thank you for the motivating words. I guess we'll see what happens when the results come out.

if you look at the NCEES website under "Exams" and "Scoring Process" they "explain". For all practical purposes it is a curve although I think my wife, who is familiar with scoring processes, used another name for it. Bottom line Kovz, I agree with Khaled that you may have done better than you think.
I pray that you're right. If not, I've got some work to do for the October exam.

You're welcome. I'm glad it helped. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

Good Luck to everyone.
If you answered most of the 65% questions correctly and then have a 50/50 chance on the others, your chances of passing are high, keep your head up and wait for the results before studying. Enjoy the summer :) .
Thank you and you are right...I will wait for the results.

I took the School of PE, it was helpful with the most of topic, but unfortunately , when they have explained about grounding or lighting protection , the question in the actual exam were different from the course. I have never seen these question before. For the NEMA question , and filter are the same issue.

But generally, If someone was understood all the concepts of notes, definitely, he could answer so many question.

the other problem, the course started just 5 weeks before the exam day, so there was not enough time to focus with everything they explained.

Good luck to everyone took the PE exam, hoping you will pass.

I took the School of PE, it was helpful with the most of topic, but unfortunately , when they have explained about grounding or lighting protection , the question in the actual exam were different from the course. I have never seen these question before. For the NEMA question , and filter are the same issue.

But generally, If someone was understood all the concepts of notes, definitely, he could answer so many question.

the other problem, the course started just 5 weeks before the exam day, so there was not enough time to focus with everything they explained.

Good luck to everyone took the PE exam, hoping you will pass.

Thank you Saif and KatyLied.

Welcome and best of luck.
Thanks! Same to you.
Thanks. But I passed last time around.
Oops. I thought everyone who passed had 'PE' in their username. Looked that way in some other threads I was reading.
Depending..not everyone like to boast their PE LOL
I don't think it's because we're boasting about passing the PE (at least I'm not and either way passing is something to be proud of). EB-wise it makes sense to have PE on your user name so new members seeking advice can easily see if you've taken and passed the exam. It's an easy way to verify that you've been there/done that and are giving information based on experience.

Welcome and best of luck.
Thanks! Same to you.
Thanks. But I passed last time around.
Oops. I thought everyone who passed had 'PE' in their username. Looked that way in some other threads I was reading.
Depending..not everyone like to boast their PE LOL
I don't think it's because we're boasting about passing the PE (at least I'm not and either way passing is something to be proud of). EB-wise it makes sense to have PE on your user name so new members seeking advice can easily see if you've taken and passed the exam. It's an easy way to verify that you've been there/done that and are giving information based on experience.
i was joking on that boasting thing actually

There are no jokes here at EB, this is a serious engineering forum.

30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe65ee74f20c49e3cc5d086b972.jpg

Back