April PE - What did you think?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that you all passed this round, and always try to remember that it is not if you pass the PE, but when you pass it. So never give up, after you pass, you will definitely become better engineers even though some of you may already be good engineers. May God bless you all.

Hey all, yeah this seemed more doable that the Oct '14 exam...

Hope I get it this time (2nd attempt).

Anyway, anyone use the study guides from Chelepati?

I bought v2 and 3 and didn't really have the time to get into that.

I skimmed v2 which covers the PE exam breadth, but its almost like a re-hash of the materials found in Graffeo and the Camara.

hi all,

best of luck to all. my buddy who is taking the exam for the 4th time told me that april 2015 was the easiest compared to the previous 3 times he took. he prepared a lot with me for October 14 and failed with 53 marks. He spent around 50 to 60 hours and is very confident that he will pass for sure this time. he mentioned there were like 4 questions which were convoluted but others were fairly straight forward. hope this time lot of people join the club of PE.
I'm wondering if the exam was actually easier than the past 3 times or if it just feels easier because the more time someone studies, the more they learn and the more comfortable they are with the fundamentals/material. If I had to take it again, I would put another 3-4 months worth of studying and build on my knowledge that I had from the first exam. So I wonder if it feels easier each time you take it. Anyone that has taken the exam more than once care to share their opinion on that?
In my experience, it just depends on the test cycle. If you repeat, you know how to study for the previous test. Unfortunately, they seem to know that and pull out a fresh batch of never-before-seen questions just to mess with you. Hopefully you all caught an easier cycle and passed!

For printouts I used some stuff from the power sub forum index thread. As far as text references here are my choices:

EE's guide to passing the power PE- Graffeo:

This is a compilation of a lot of topics on the NCEES syllabus and it doesn't get too deep. I used it for quite a few.

Electric Machinery and Power system fundamentals-Chapman:

Used this book in college. Great text for reference to motors, generators, and transformers. I like it better than wildi.

The reference book I posted earlier:

Helped me a lot with batteries, lighting, and random misc topics. It's jam packed with everything you could think of related to our field.

PPI EPRM- Camara:

Didn't study it much and the index is good and I used it some on the test. Good reference to have for those random problems you might stumble upon.

Elements of power system analysis-Stevenson:

Don't waste your money on the newer edition with Grainger added in. I got both and the older edition is 10x better. Didn't use either on the test.

Power system analysis-glover/sarma:

Good book for concepts. Didn't use on test.

Wildi:

Popular book on this forum. Hate it. Too much information jammed into a book with a crappy index. Tried to use it once on the test and set it back down. I wouldn't recommend it unless you used it in college.

Applied protective relaying-Westinghouse:

I think Blackburn wrote this book. It's a newer version of the silent sentinels book. Good book just no index. I didn't reference it on the test.

Protective relay principles-Sleva:

Excellent book on relaying and very informative. I used some on the test.

Handbook of power calculations-Beaty:

Good examples on power systems. Didn't use on test.

Renewable and efficient electric power systems-Masters:

Has a lot of solar and wind info. Found it too heavy on those for the test.

Electric distribution engineering-pansini:

Good book for real world reference. Didn't use on test or practice.

Those are some books I had. I had a lot but I'd rather go in prepared and ready to pass than unprepared and fail. But like mentioned before a lot of questions I answered off of my own knowledge. You can have all the tools in the world but you got to know how to use them and what you are using them for.
Interesting...our experiences are almost exactly opposite:

EE's guide to passing the power PE- Graffeo:

Did not have nor use.

Electric Machinery and Power system fundamentals-Chapman:

Did not have nor use.

The reference book I posted earlier:

A self made document is much more valuable than borrowing one from someone else.

PPI EPRM- Camara:

I thought it was over priced and overrated. I did use and study from, but in general this book was disappointing. The breadth was a little comforting though.

Elements of power system analysis-Stevenson:

I thought this book was key on the test.

Power system analysis-glover/sarma:

Used this book in college, so I repurchased it while studying. Grainger/Stevenson & Wildi were better resources.

Wildi:

I thought this book was key on the test.

Applied protective relaying-Westinghouse (Blackburn):

I actually bought this book to learn from after the test. It has good information, though it is overkill for what is covered on the test.

Protective relay principles-Sleva:

Did not have nor use.

Handbook of power calculations-Beaty:

I had this book. It blows.

Renewable and efficient electric power systems-Masters:

Never heard of. Did not have nor use.

Electric distribution engineering-pansini:

Never heard of. Did not have nor use.

Guys, I have a slightly different perspective here. I took the civil exam in '09 and left knowing that I had crushed it. I knew my study materials had been spot on.

I took power last week and was baffled by how different the test was than the study materials. The biggest issue wasn't what was on the test, but what was not on it. I worked the 4 CI exams twice each. Graffeo, once. NCEES, three times. I was at the point to where I could do those exams without opening a book. The actual exam did not have the same stuff.

Also, I liked Wildi because it actually covered things specific to industry. I actually learned stuff helpful for my job. I also had Grainger and Camara and dozens of printed guides. The NEMA guide for adjustable speed drives is helpful in industry too.

I should have taken NEMA MG-1 and also something more on batteries. I needed more on illumination (Graffeo and Camara were helpful but not enough).

I was thankful to have a full NESC. I was also happy to see NEC 2011 lining up with 2014, but I did have one question that I am considering reporting to NCEES because it was "off."

I found at least one typo (kva vs kv) that did not materially affect the question but it did make me question the quality of the exam authoring.

Summary: I am convinced that the lower pass rates in power are due to there not being one comprehensive guide that a candidate can study to prepare for the test (plus codes, obviously). Over in civil, we have Lindburg's book which looks like Camara. You basically need that and you're good to go. If you work all the practice problems in the workbook, you're ready. The practice is harder than the test, but it all relevant.

Just my two cents. Back to work while we wait on the results...

I was thankful to have a full NESC. I was also happy to see NEC 2011 lining up with 2014, but I did have one question that I am considering reporting to NCEES because it was "off."

I found at least one typo (kva vs kv) that did not materially affect the question but it did make me question the quality of the exam authoring.
Great perspective. Thanks for posting.

I noticed the same typo you mentioned- kv/kva

I also believe one of the NEC problems was specific to the 2014 code. I'm not entirely positive about this but I used the 2014 NEC Handbook which highlights all new changes. I seem to remember one of the solutions I came up with specifically used the highlighted portion.

Very insightful post, jdscottPE. Thanks for sharing.

I completely agree, I could work most of the practice problems without even looking at reference materials because I became so familiar with the formulas, concepts, etc. I was scoring in the 90%+ range on CI, Spin-up, Graffeo, and NCEES practice exams. However I am almost certain I failed this exam. I can count at least 15 problems that I remember that I know I missed... after looking them up afterward. Slim chance in hell I missed 24 or less total.

What is the NEMA MG-1? I've tried searching google. Is this a book or table that we should be taking into the exam (in case we have to retake the exam)?

I noticed one of the NEC problems being a bit "off" as well. Or having 2 acceptable answers.

I also saw the KVA vs KV error. I'm hoping that problem is thrown out.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the NEMA MG-1? I've tried searching google. Is this a book or table that we should be taking into the exam (in case we have to retake the exam)?
Motor Standard

http://www.nema.org/Standards/Pages/Motors-and-Generators.aspx

Summary: I am convinced that the lower pass rates in power are due to there not being one comprehensive guide that a candidate can study to prepare for the test (plus codes, obviously). Over in civil, we have Lindburg's book which looks like Camara. You basically need that and you're good to go. If you work all the practice problems in the workbook, you're ready. The practice is harder than the test, but it all relevant.
But that's because as electrical engineers all of our information doesn't come out of a table like the civil engineers.

Why have you needed to take both the Civil and Electrical? I thought as a Civil you were allowed to stamp electrical drawings that are incidental to your design (such as building power distribution). Is this not the case?

I hope we weren't required to bring the NEMA standard. That thing is $414!

I'm pretty sure you didn't need it to solve the problem. I'm also pretty sure I got it wrong.. unless I guessed correct.

Guys, I have a slightly different perspective here. I took the civil exam in '09 and left knowing that I had crushed it. I knew my study materials had been spot on.

I took power last week and was baffled by how different the test was than the study materials. The biggest issue wasn't what was on the test, but what was not on it. I worked the 4 CI exams twice each. Graffeo, once. NCEES, three times. I was at the point to where I could do those exams without opening a book. The actual exam did not have the same stuff.

Also, I liked Wildi because it actually covered things specific to industry. I actually learned stuff helpful for my job. I also had Grainger and Camara and dozens of printed guides. The NEMA guide for adjustable speed drives is helpful in industry too.

I should have taken NEMA MG-1 and also something more on batteries. I needed more on illumination (Graffeo and Camara were helpful but not enough).

Why would you take the PE test twice?! Can't you take any discipline you wish and be a PE? So confused.

I brought up some of these points when they sent out the survey last time. If they keep seeing the same concerns, maybe they will look into it. They should publish a list of books that the exam was based on. Too many topics to cover for the power exam.

NEMA MG-1 wasn't needed to solve the problem. That was one of the problems I know I missed.

Why would you take the PE test twice?! Can't you take any discipline you wish and be a PE? So confused.
In some states you are licensed as a "Professional Engineer" and they leave it up to you to only stamp things in your area of expertise. Other states are "discipline Specific" where you can only stamp drawings in the discipline in which you're licensed.

http://ncees.org/licensing-boards/ Pick the state you're interested in. At the bottom of the contact information is something called a board profile. click on that, then general information and it's the sixth item down.

How is this confusing? There are a number of members on this board who have taken multiple PE exams such that they are then allowed to stamp things that fall within the corresponding competency.

And I also don't see NEMA MG-1 as being a necessary resource for the exam. That is a motor testing standard. Not a specification standard.

Very insightful post, jdscottPE. Thanks for sharing.

I completely agree, I could work most of the practice problems without even looking at reference materials because I became so familiar with the formulas, concepts, etc. I was scoring in the 90%+ range on CI, Spin-up, Graffeo, and NCEES practice exams. However I am almost certain I failed this exam. I can count at least 15 problems that I remember that I know I missed... after looking them up afterward. Slim chance in hell I missed 24 or less total.

I noticed one of the NEC problems being a bit "off" as well. Or having 2 acceptable answers.

I also saw the KVA vs KV error. I'm hoping that problem is thrown out.
Kovz you could still pass, the exam is curved.. I know someone who was certain he missed more than 20 and he end up scoring an 80%. Some questions do have errors and I believe they get thrown out. Last time when I studied for the exam, I answered all the practice exams you mentioned minus the Graffeo and I was scoring in the 90% range too, the problem is I just don't think that covers everything on the exam, and I am sure you saw that yourself. That's why I made a comment 10 days before the test that basically I did all these exams and I still didn't make it.

I think these exams you mentioned cover a solid portion of the test and puts you in the groove of answering problems, but I really do believe that they only cover about 50% of the exam material. I think the best way to prepare would be look at the topics mentioned at the beginning of the NCEES practice exam and make sure you have an understanding on every topic and some material to reference during the test. Usually if you take a class they provide you with notes that would cover all the topics, and that helps during the test. Also, reading researching the internet and printing some related articles and reading them helps too.

The exam was not an easy one. I really hope that we all score higher than the cut score and pass, I know that everyone that reads this thread put his heart into studying and spent long hours looking at books and answering questions. Let's hope we get rewarded for our hard work and find that magical word "pass" next to our names!!

Back