April PE - What did you think?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seemed to be a lot of questions on motors, and I thought Wildi would've bailed me out of more of them but that wasn't really the case.

I felt the same way. I kept going to Wildi and just wasted time looking. If I have to take it again, I am going to get a lot more references on motors as Camara, Graffeo, and Wildi didn't help me on this exam's motor questions. I also needed better references on batteries.

Do we really have to talk about the specific topics that were on the exam? By the way filters are fair game they are part of power quality.

I don't think Kovz is saying they weren't fair game. I think the practice exams really stress certain topics, and it is frustrating when those topics don't show up on the actual exam at all.

Yes, agreed. I'm not complaining about the filters, just didn't expect to see them.

Seemed to be a lot of questions on motors, and I thought Wildi would've bailed me out of more of them but that wasn't really the case.

I felt the same way. I kept going to Wildi and just wasted time looking. If I have to take it again, I am going to get a lot more references on motors as Camara, Graffeo, and Wildi didn't help me on this exam's motor questions. I also needed better references on batteries.

I hear ya. I need to study a bit more when it comes to motor and generator theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting to hear all the references people are using. For the ME Exam I literally only used two references (NCEES FE Reference Manual primary, Lindeburgh MERM backup) and two table sets (Shapiro Thermo Tables, Fox/McDonald Fluid Tables). On the ME exam I felt like most questions were just a play on basic concepts that were reused over and over. Especially in the Thermal and Fluids Afternoon Exams.

For printouts I used some stuff from the power sub forum index thread. As far as text references here are my choices:

EE's guide to passing the power PE- Graffeo:

This is a compilation of a lot of topics on the NCEES syllabus and it doesn't get too deep. I used it for quite a few.

Electric Machinery and Power system fundamentals-Chapman:

Used this book in college. Great text for reference to motors, generators, and transformers. I like it better than wildi.

The reference book I posted earlier:

Helped me a lot with batteries, lighting, and random misc topics. It's jam packed with everything you could think of related to our field.

PPI EPRM- Camara:

Didn't study it much and the index is good and I used it some on the test. Good reference to have for those random problems you might stumble upon.

Elements of power system analysis-Stevenson:

Don't waste your money on the newer edition with Grainger added in. I got both and the older edition is 10x better. Didn't use either on the test.

Power system analysis-glover/sarma:

Good book for concepts. Didn't use on test.

Wildi:

Popular book on this forum. Hate it. Too much information jammed into a book with a crappy index. Tried to use it once on the test and set it back down. I wouldn't recommend it unless you used it in college.

Applied protective relaying-Westinghouse:

I think Blackburn wrote this book. It's a newer version of the silent sentinels book. Good book just no index. I didn't reference it on the test.

Protective relay principles-Sleva:

Excellent book on relaying and very informative. I used some on the test.

Handbook of power calculations-Beaty:

Good examples on power systems. Didn't use on test.

Renewable and efficient electric power systems-Masters:

Has a lot of solar and wind info. Found it too heavy on those for the test.

Electric distribution engineering-pansini:

Good book for real world reference. Didn't use on test or practice.

Those are some books I had. I had a lot but I'd rather go in prepared and ready to pass than unprepared and fail. But like mentioned before a lot of questions I answered off of my own knowledge. You can have all the tools in the world but you got to know how to use them and what you are using them for.

And yes I feel like a lot of other test disciplines only had 1-2 books.

hi all,

best of luck to all. my buddy who is taking the exam for the 4th time told me that april 2015 was the easiest compared to the previous 3 times he took. he prepared a lot with me for October 14 and failed with 53 marks. He spent around 50 to 60 hours and is very confident that he will pass for sure this time. he mentioned there were like 4 questions which were convoluted but others were fairly straight forward. hope this time lot of people join the club of PE.

zm83, I used the same references that you used when I took the PE last year this time. I felt the same way about all of the references that you mentioned except Pansini, I did not have his book. I had James Burke's book Power Distribution Engineering, which was helpful during the exam and very helpful on the job. I also feel the same about Stephen Chapman's versus Theodore Wildi's books. Although Wildi's book is popular on this forum and is "easier to understand" because it has less mathematics than Chapman's, Chapman explains the topics of generators, transformers and motors much better than Wildi does in my opinion. As far as passing the exam, I believe that undestanding the fundamental concepts, principles and practices which enables you to use your tools effectively, is the key to passing the exam.

I'm wondering why someone retake the exam for 4 times without giving up or passed from the 2nd /3rd, for me if would fail from 2nd time i'll give up and I'll feel this exam will be impossible for me.

could you explain how the NCEES are calculating the passing score , if someone has 53/80 why he could not pass?, it suppose to be calculated under curve not necessarily 70% of 80 problems.

By the way, this exam was my first attempt, I have practiced a lot of time and I went to the exam in confidence, but right now, I think I should study a lot and a lot not only practicing.

I'm wondering why someone retake the exam for 4 times without giving up or passed from the 2nd /3rd, for me if would fail from 2nd time i'll give up and I'll feel this exam will be impossible for me.

could you explain how the NCEES are calculating the passing score , if someone has 53/80 why he could not pass?, it suppose to be calculated under curve not necessarily 70% of 80 problems.

By the way, this exam was my first attempt, I have practiced a lot of time and I went to the exam in confidence, but right now, I think I should study a lot and a lot not only practicing.
Some people, such as myself, are crappy test takers.

Interesting....this is actually the closest info we've received on EngineerBoards to a Oct 14 Power EE cutoff score. So we now know everyone who passed at least got a 54/80, or 67.5%

But yes, you're correct, the cut-off scores are never exactly 56/80 (70%) - they vary and are decided by the NCEES EE Power Board of Directors. You are only told your score when you fail, so sounds like the scores were cut-off at 54 or higher last October.

Saif, a person should never give up on anything. Just because something is difficult and requires time does not mean that it is not meant for a person. Some people may require five attempts before passing, but that experience may make them become an expert as well as build character.

Saif, a person should never give up on anything. Just because something is difficult and requires time does not mean that it is not meant for a person. Some people may require five attempts before passing, but that experience may make them become an expert as well as build character.
so true , this was my third attempt and its not like i don't study or i just go there for just sake of going,,,,,,, i have been studying sincerely for two years now, giving up everything ,,,,,, my life is holding off due to this exam...... ( may be i am not that smart lol but i try my best) but with every attempt i feel myself more close to my goal. this is not something i forget today and dnt have to look back again. today or tomorrow,,,,,,,, sooner or later i have to give this exam ,,,,,,,,,,, so why not FIGHT till i reach there............ so keep on trying ,,,,,,, and trust me this not at all easiest thing to do. it take lots of efforts and support ! most of the people at my work place got there PE on not less than 3 or 4th attempt and it very very normal thing.

so never give up !

I took the exam for the 2nd time. I will say that I'm a better more knowledgeable engineer for having studied for the exam twice. As others have said I know someone who took it 3-4 times and got 30% scores on the exam and passed it on the 4th or 5th time. Never give up trying as you may learn from your studies or experiences.

I agree with you all, the person should never giving up, until get his/her great prize "PE certificate" .

I struggled passing the FE... it took me several attempts. And I won't be surprised if it takes the same for the PE. But I will never quit working toward my goals. I would often watch YouTube videos about motivation, or read motivational quotes to help pick me up when I was feeling down.

There are several good quotes on this website... but here's a great one that is very fitting for us EE's...

“Edison failed 10,000 times before he made the electric light. Do not be discouraged if you fail a few times.”
http://www.doonething.org/quotes/perseverance-quotes.htm

Hey everyone. First time poster here. I've been lurking around this board for the past few weeks leading up to the exam.

This was my first attempt at the Power PE and I wasn't as happy leaving the exam as I hoped I would be. Very similar feelings as others have already posted- I wouldn't be surprised if I pass or fail.

Lots of gimmie questions but also a solid 10 or so I was not prepared for. Harmonic filters and generation fundamentals are not my forte. I took a prep course and spent a good portion of the past two and half months studying. It was annoying to have spent a lot of time studying specific topics that didn't end up being on the test, but I guess that's just the way it goes.

JB66money's first post on this thread is great advice. Looking back on my studying I probably focused probably too much on working specific problems (NCEES practice exam, PPI & CI). If I take it again in October I'll spend more time gathering good supplemental materials and familiarizing myself with the concepts and principals.... in addition to doing practice exam problems.

Hope you all passed!

hi all,

best of luck to all. my buddy who is taking the exam for the 4th time told me that april 2015 was the easiest compared to the previous 3 times he took. he prepared a lot with me for October 14 and failed with 53 marks. He spent around 50 to 60 hours and is very confident that he will pass for sure this time. he mentioned there were like 4 questions which were convoluted but others were fairly straight forward. hope this time lot of people join the club of PE.

I'm wondering if the exam was actually easier than the past 3 times or if it just feels easier because the more time someone studies, the more they learn and the more comfortable they are with the fundamentals/material. If I had to take it again, I would put another 3-4 months worth of studying and build on my knowledge that I had from the first exam. So I wonder if it feels easier each time you take it. Anyone that has taken the exam more than once care to share their opinion on that?

Back