April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The day I found out I didn't pass I told myself I was not going to take it again.  I texted a few people I know and told them to help me find jobs that don't require a PE.  Then I went home that night and talked to my upset wife and we talked until after midnight arguing whether to take it again.  The same thing happened the next night.  Sunday I went to church for the first time in over 10 years (aside from the usual in-law pleasing stuff).  It was mostly coincidental, since we had agreed earlier to try to introduce our son to some kind of religion/church.  But anyway, it was very helpful for both of us, for perspective and to remind us how good we had it.

On Monday, December 16th I had a lot of encouragement from family, friends and co-workers so that's when I decided to re-take the PE in April and I started studying the following night.

I'm still a least a year (or more, depending on whether I pass the 2 CA-specific exams, could be a while!) from the civil license. So, since I have the experience for the Electrical license now, might as well try.

@LyceeFruit PE Plus I have to earn that LIT AF credential. LIT AF is as LIT AF does, amirite fam? (<--did I do that right?)
Off Topic: Are you short on experience for Civil? I figured you'd go straight into studying for the Seismic and Surveying Exams... But if you don't have the requisite experience for Civil, then that would create a problem. I'm already impressed that you passed 2 separate PE Exams. Passing 3 separate exams is other-worldly... Especially when one of them is Power. You'll definitely have earned the LIT AF PE postnomial, at that point.

Back On Topic: Good luck, PE Power examinees! I can't really help you, but hopefully someone can. 

:w00t:   :respect:

Are you short on experience for Civil? I figured you'd go straight into studying for the Seismic and Surveying Exams
Yeah, I need the experience COMPLETED to even file the paperwork at allows me to take the 2 CA-specific exams (again, oops). So, I'm still at least a year out from taking those exams. In the meantime, I picked up a couple curb/ramp, parking lot, and ADA path of travel projects last week to get my civil chops! Pretty neat. Not the sexiest projects, but I'm a n00b so everything is neato cool to me.

Passing 3 separate exams is other-worldly
Actually, at one of our consulting firms we contract with, ALL of their principles are triple licensed in mechanical, electrical, and fire protection (kinda sorta where I got the idea from).

Yeah, I need the experience COMPLETED to even file the paperwork at allows me to take the 2 CA-specific exams (again, oops). So, I'm still at least a year out from taking those exams. In the meantime, I picked up a couple curb/ramp, parking lot, and ADA path of travel projects last week to get my civil chops! Pretty neat. Not the sexiest projects, but I'm a n00b so everything is neato cool to me.

Actually, at one of our consulting firms we contract with, ALL of their principles are triple licensed in mechanical, electrical, and fire protection (kinda sorta where I got the idea from).
That's insane.  I graduated in mechanical, and after my second failed attempt my sister (who is a Civil PE) suggested I take the mechanical PE exam.  She thought it would be easier for me.  I started to wonder...but I feel like I"m too deep in electrical to attempt a different exam.

I"m too deep in electrical to attempt a different exam.
Plus you'd need the work experience in mechanical to qualify for the license anyway so I'm not sure how much that would help, haha! I agree with the spirit of her advice though, to take whatever discipline you think you can pass...

iu

That's what I figured. I've looked into licensure in CA, and might still do it at some point. (Getting the Cali GE would be sweet!) Sounds like you're on your way. Soon, you'll be squaretaper, LIT AF AF PE.

Nope. Nope! Nope!!! Hard Pass.   :mf_Flush:   :whipping:   :respect:

So, I have maybe a dumb question...but I have the Graffeo book and I'm not really sure how to use it. What makes this book so useful? It got some good reviews here and elsewhere, but maybe I don't "get" how this book is laid out. Maybe I'm just super dumb from the holiday break, I can't tell yet.

Edit: didn't mean to sound critical of the book. It just kind of looks like someone's home brewed notes compiled in Word or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I have maybe a dumb question...but I have the Graffeo book and I'm not really sure how to use it. What makes this book so useful? It got some good reviews here and elsewhere, but maybe I don't "get" how this book is laid out. Maybe I'm just super dumb from the holiday break, I can't tell yet.

Edit: didn't mean to sound critical of the book. It just kind of looks like someone's home brewed notes compiled in Word or something.
I have mixed feelings on that book as well. It does contain a lot of information in a fairly condensed format but I feel that EngPro Guide gives me more bang for my buck. It's been a while since I've looked at it but if I recall correctly I found the motor section in the Graffeo very helpful. I don't think i ever made it through the whole book though. I do remember working one of the theory examples and getting super frustrated. It was something I couldn't wrap my brain around at the time. I will definitely be going back through those examples.

I think on @ItsStudyTime! website below a ToC was posted for that book that may be more useful than what it currently contains. Depends on the version you have though. A good job was done of sectioning that book off by NCEES topic.

Thanks for that by the way @ItsStudyTime!

https://spreadsheetdirtbags.com/howtopassthepeexam/pe-exam-resources-electrical/

This is exactly what it is. It has a lot of random, but sometimes useful formulas in it. I gave @SparkyBill my book so I forget what I had tabbed, but I think I mainly used it for the symmetrical components. Sparky, do you remember what I had tabbed?

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad this website exist. Such an amazing place for us all to vent, learn from each other, and help each other all achieve our common goal. Makes this test so much more enjoyable and bearable knowing others are working as hard as we are!

I noticed I started off capital with ILLumination, but that didn't last long lol

Latest posts

Back