April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive my poor pitiful Phasor upside down one. I left it so I get a giggle each time I seen it (and too cheap to use another sticky). But my Glover book is coming around nicely!
As long as you know what's going on and can read it that's all that matters.

So how do you like that book? I don't have it and just looked it up. I don't think I want to shell out another $200. Do you have the Wildi book? If so does it compare?

As long as you know what's going on and can read it that's all that matters.

So how do you like that book? I don't have it and just looked it up. I don't think I want to shell out another $200. Do you have the Wildi book? If so does it compare?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know!
So Wildi and Glover are completely different topics. I made thru 2 chapters of Wildi and gave up reading it. I brought it with me to the test but I don't know that I used it and rotating machines was my weakest section. I did use the Glover book a few times, both in studying and at the exam. IIRC I also carried in an older version of Grainger and Blackburn (too lazy to go look at my pile) so for me, the advantage to Glover was that it was a lot more recent than my Grainger & Blackburn so it talked more about microprocessor relays. 

I didn't think the Blackburn book was worth it. It's not a textbook, so it doesn't really have good examples, and it's really wordy. I think there are better materials out there for the types of protection problems that are asked.

Did you actually use this on exam day?
I didn't on the exam, but I did use it to find a few answers while studying. A buddy of my printed it off and used it on the exam.

I honestly didn't have to use any of the references for the protection problems during the exam. They were pretty easy compared to the sample problems I worked.

Edit: Well, I didn't for problems that I would consider "protection" problems. Idk exactly which ones NCEES considered protection problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the ability to waste that much paper at work, so I couldn't print it.

I picked up a rocketbook fusion for working problems, I figure I'll be doing some problems at work and I really don't want to waste a ton of paper. It allows me to work problems and then scan and organize them as PDF. 

Hi guys! First time test taker here.

I got signed up for the april 2020 power exam on Thursday!

Already been working my way through Zach Stone's course. It looked like the best class option, and i loved the free trial. Friends said school of pe was good and ppi was okay, so i decided to go with option 3.

I've read through Graffeo and worked through the practice test in 10 question sections just to get a feel for problem solving. I like it for formulas, but feel it could be better organized.

Im reading through the Cram book right now, and plan to take one of those exams next weekend.

Ive printed and looked through Eng Pro Guides formula sheet and used it a little. Some sections are better than others.

Working my way slowly through the Wildi book. I really like it for concepts so far, and the motor sections are phenomenal! 

I've been studying between 1 and 3 hours per weeknight - mostly coursework and including 30 minutes or 1 chapter of a reference. And im planning on doing practice exams on weekends. Probably need to write down a formal schedule though.

Im debating on getting the complex imaginary exams, but have seen a lot of mixed reviews, also ive got 6 practice exams already.

Good luck everyone! 

Im debating on getting the complex imaginary exams, but have seen a lot of mixed reviews, also ive got 6 practice exams already.
They're definitely a good set of practice problems.

Every author of a sample exam tends to lean heavily towards 1-2 topics. IMO, the complex imaginary exams seemed to have more power system analysis and motors. It had all the other topics, but the quantity of those problems were not as near as the main two topics.

But, I think every extra practice problem helps. I don't think there's such a thing as working too many practice problems.

They are definitely better than Graffeo's problems. Graffeo's set of problems is a little odd, and tends to model itself off of material in his book rather than actual exam type questions. Probably just because it's a little out of date compared to the exam nowadays.

I think the other exams you have listed are good. The Cram and Eng Pro Guide exams, to me, felt almost identical to the difficultly level of the real exam.

They're definitely a good set of practice problems.

Every author of a sample exam tends to lean heavily towards 1-2 topics. IMO, the complex imaginary exams seemed to have more power system analysis and motors. It had all the other topics, but the quantity of those problems were not as near as the main two topics.

But, I think every extra practice problem helps. I don't think there's such a thing as working too many practice problems.

They are definitely better than Graffeo's problems. Graffeo's set of problems is a little odd, and tends to model itself off of material in his book rather than actual exam type questions. Probably just because it's a little out of date compared to the exam nowadays.

I think the other exams you have listed are good. The Cram and Eng Pro Guide exams, to me, felt almost identical to the difficultly level of the real exam.
I started studying on Dec. 20th, and I went through the School of PE workshop notes and practice problems for general power and circuits.  Most of those I would consider more "drill" type problems; once you start going through them they go pretty fast and I don't consider those "practice exam" kind of material.  However, they proved useful because some of them are worded in such a way that's unfamiliar to me, and they pointed out flaws in my thinking.  Thank you @LyceeFruit PE for suggesting these!

Saturday I did a timed practice exam using Complex Imaginary, Volume 1.  I would rank these as an easier set of problems than NCEES, Eng Pro Guides or Zach Stones.  Probably on par with Graffeo in terms of difficulty, but CI is more similarly worded like the actual exam.  I scored 63/80 and my "go-to" study binder (thanks to @ItsStudyTime! I created before the second exam really came in handy, but the CI had some "easy" questions that I got wrong because there are some concepts I thought I knew but didn't.  If you have time I highly recommend going through the CI questions.

I've started reading through Backburn's protective relaying book and it's actually very nice.

I'm still not exactly sure if it's exam reference material, but if you need to learn about per unit, mva method, and symmetrical components the first few chapters are definitely worth reading.

As a note to all of you studying: Either build yourself in some breaks, or don't be too hard on yourself when you need a break. If you're feeling burned out and sluggish, take a half day or a day off studying and do some self-care: Watch a TV program, go for a long walk, read a non-engineering book. It will help you continue to do well if you give your brain a break. 

Hi everyone,

I failed the Oct 2019 exam and planning to take the April 2020 PE for the second attempt. To be honest, I lost all of my confident and did not think that I would have more time to study for this April exam, but I know I have to keep going and need to pass this PE test. Last Oct, I completed the PPI Power Review Live Course but it was not help.  Yet, I can access the PPI - on demand review course with no purchase necessary but I am not sure if I want to spend all of the time on this course or rather to go with other review course. Would you able to give me some advices on the good courses and study materials for 90 days review period? Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I failed the Oct 2019 exam and planning to take the April 2020 PE for the second attempt. To be honest, I lost all of my confident and did not think that I would have more time to study for this April exam, but I know I have to keep going and need to pass this PE test. Last Oct, I completed the PPI Power Review Live Course but it was not help.  Yet, I can access the PPI - on demand review course with no purchase necessary but I am not sure if I want to spend all of the time on this course or rather to go with other review course. Would you able to give me some advices on the good courses and study materials for 90 days review period? Thank you!
Cheers to you for taking it on again!

Idk much about any review courses. I'm sure someone will let you know soon. However, I keep seeing referrals for Zach Stone's course around here, so that might be worth checking out.

Back